_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Defining a sense of personal perfection.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi I was just wondering how you folks define 'perfection' in your own modeling projects? I see models on this site and others that in a couple or so words: "simply blow me away". To the builders who build these, are they as 'perfect' to you as they seem to be to others? And as it pertains to this particular line of thought, do we basically become our own worst critics, which, back-handedly, works to help us to do better, next time around?

As I go along building various kits I feel I'm improving here and there--both in the things I've done before and any new techniques that I've screwed up the courage to try my 10 thumbs at--but in the same breath I can look at them and see at least a dozen, and most likely a whole lot more places that, to me, look like pure crap! Now I don't build for sell or for competition, simply for fun and my own personal enjoyment and that's all. So if I screw up someplace and/or others, I just try to chalk it up to the learning experience and hope I remember not to do this thing, at least this particular way, again on the next kit.

I was just wondering if others out there have this same sort of problem with what they build, no matter for how long you have been building or how good you have gotten down over the years, just out of curiousity.

Take care, sgirty
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:46 AM UTC
It is something that I will never acheive. I strive for it with each project that I tackle but I only hope to make each new project a little better than the last one. I look back at some of my older models and think to myself, This is junk!! I guess it goes with the theory that practice makes perfect (or close to it).
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
Interesting question - my wife and I were discussing this on Sunday morning. She is a crafter - darned good too - and often judges the work I produce like I judge hers...

I consider "perfection" a lofty goal totally dependent on the observer's experience and skill level. What a novice considers "perfect" is patently mediocre to a seasoned modeler.

What I strive to accomplish is consistency - consistency equalling "perfection" for me. Consistent results in five areas; basic construction, detail & modifications, paint finish, weathering & markings, and lastly presentation & end assembly. No one area is more important than the other, and I strive to strike an equal balance in all five areas. More often than not - balancing all five means not trying to cram every single aftermarket part known to Man into a model - but balancing out what you choose to do with doing it and finishing it and blending it in with everything else in the effort. When that happens, the result is consistent, the model miniature looks good from every viewing angle.

I never consider a model "done" - but I don't go back and keep futzing with it either. Again, that maintains the balance and consistency too.

If anything, "perfection" (in my case consistency) is being comfortable with the result you get when you set out to model a subject in miniature. It is as much a mental approach as it is a physical effort in execution of ideas and technique.

Gunnie
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 03:57 AM UTC
Not to go all Zen... but when you become perfect at something, it's time to stop. I try to improve technique with every model or diorama that I build. Often I will try an entirely new approach to see if it works for me. I do have a bit of a perfectionist streak in that I often paint or detail areas no one is going to see. For me, I think being perfect would suck the fun out of the hobby.
MGard
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
I've found that model builders for the most part tend to be far more critical of their own work than of others. To that end, we will never find perfection in our own work. That is one reason why we keep doing what we do.

Mike
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 04:29 AM UTC
How do I define perfection? I don't know. I haven't gotten to that point in my modeling life yet. Chances are very good that I will never get to that point. Rest assured, I will tell you once I get there
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:02 AM UTC
Right now I just want to make each kit a little better than the one before. Since my current level leaves so much room for improvement this should keep me busy for a long, long time. I don't strive for perfection. One I don't think it's possible, and two I think if I ever got to perfect I'd stop working on the hobby. If I can get to the point where I can look at a kit without wanting to throw it against the wall in frustration I think I'll be happy.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
No matter how hard I try, I can never achieve perfection. There is always flaws. A part that is slightly crooked, paint job has a mar. A seam I missed in removing. A joint that shows. I live with what Ican't easily fix, try to watch and improve. Like Animal said..I look back at something I did 3 or 4 years ago and think, now how could I have let that go without fixing it. Endless learning and always improving are two of my goals in this hobby.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Never will happen in my case, but I do keep on trying with each subject.

I only need to please me.... anyone else is a bonus.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 06:31 AM UTC
I really don't care. I build out of enjoyment. Sometimes I fiddle with things to get them to look better, but I never strive for perfection. Perfection is the enemy of timeliness, goes back to my training: an 80% solution on time is more valuable than a perfect solution that is late.

In modeling terms if I spend too much time trying to perfect a kit, I get burnt out and will abandon that project. So I build to get something to "look" right. Whether it is perfect or not, again, I don't really care. I'd rather have it done and on the shelf than sitting in a box never to be completed.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In modeling terms if I spend too much time trying to perfect a kit, I get burnt out and will abandon that project. So I build to get something to "look" right. Whether it is perfect or not, again, I don't really care. I'd rather have it done and on the shelf than sitting in a box never to be completed.

This would be exactly my opinion also. Sometimes ... especially in a later photgraph I have seen a fault.... and unless its an easy fix, I just live with it. And this brings me into animals point ..

Quoted Text

I look back at some of my older models and think to myself, This is junk!!

I look back at some of my earlier models, but dont go as far as thinking they are junk. I had too much fun building them, and I know it was as good as could do then. I see my ealier flaws standing out louder all the time as I gain experience. But when I look at the simple flaws/mistakes like mould lines, gaps, thick paint etc, etc, it makes me realise that I am improving and that line/gap/clot is something I try to avoid the next time.
I guess being a little self-critical does help ......... if you can see your mistakes you know not to repeat them.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Personal Perfection= at my age=not reading my obituary in the paper.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
i dont think that i will find one of my projects perfect as i usually dont find other peoples projects perfect. What i mean is that you see a nice dio , which is nice from the technique part but my searching mind says: mmmmm i d put a figure there talking to the one this guy put. Or why didnt he put some more ground work or 2 trees more. This way and because perfection is a mind game i dont think that there is a reason to seek perfection. On my projects and with my own mind leading the plan especially in dio's i maybe am ok with the setup but then i find technique perfection errors, something in painting , something that escaped from superdetailing and this way the hobby goes. Cause if one model was pefect , and i had found the way not to do any mistake on any section of it, then why should i build another one? to improve on what? . So thats why this hobby after 23 years keeps me wanting to search and always more and i believe it will until god calls me by his side !!! (:-)
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 05:56 PM UTC
Perfection is some mythical point waaaaaaay out there for me. I build for personal enjoyment only. As part of that enjoyment, I sometimes enter contests. I strive to improve the quality of my building in all aspects to come closer to what I feel is a really good looking well done model. As I progress, I find that I come closer to that interior feeling that says, " yes this is a good model". I also build subjects that I like. So, the chance of me ever reaching a point that would cause me to stop building is next to nothing. I just really like too many tanks, planes, etc.
capnjock
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
There is no perfection for me in my models because someone can make it better than me or I can build better if i build the same model again...The important point is satisfaction on my side. If I am happy with my model when I watch it as finished,it is ok for me and modelling is a hobby not an exam
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi I was just wondering how you folks define 'perfection' in your own modeling projects?

Perfection.... that thing I will ever strive for and never attain.

John
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 12:42 AM UTC
Dear Modelers,

It's easy for me, because I am so new and so bad, I can improve, but leaving my work alone for a night or two. But, I learned one thing 30 years ago in, of all places, a wallpaper class my wife and I took over two evenings. It started with the store owner asking, "What's the difference between an amateur and a professional?"

Most of us thought the answer was that a professional gets paid. But, he said a professional doesn't point out their own mistakes. When someone says, "Nice model!", do you you say, "Thak you, but you see over here where I ...", or do you say, "Thank you!"

Think about it. We aren't just modelers. We are journeypeople. Our road is to be getting better with each project and that's the best part. There will never be an end, because new products, accessories and techniques (again, thank you Armorama) will keep us going. Just don't forget to be happy along the way.

And if any of you are REAL CRITICAL about your work, see mine and you'll see how far you have gone down the road compared to a 50+ year old novice.

Sealhead (an old Kansas Sunflower)
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
All I can do is try to improve with each model I build.And with just returning to the hobby there is plenty of room for improvement.

Quoted Text

I see models on this site and others that in a couple or so words: "simply blow me away".

I do that also,and this gives me something to strive for.

Quoted Text

What I strive to accomplish is consistency - consistency equalling "perfection" for me.

I could not agree more with this statement.

Quoted Text

There will never be an end, because new products, accessories and techniques (again, thank you Armorama) will keep us going. Just don't forget to be happy along the way.

I think the happy part is the key.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP