_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Just an Idea
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 12:35 PM UTC
G'day everyone, havent posted in a while, anyway, i was thinking to myself, armorama covers every type of modelling, armor, aircraft, figs, dio's, ships, even space and fantasy, now there is only one catagory we are missing...CARS!!! we need a auto section, im sure alot of us here are car modellers to, i know i am, i know this may take away from the description of this site, "for military scale modellers" but surly it couldnt hurt seings we already support space and fantasy, what do you think everyone, jim i would like to here what you think on the subject too, cheers ....hey last time i was here we didnt have all these new smily dudes, im gonna try em out heheheheh
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
Where's TwistedFate - Isn't he the 4x4 modeler with an 'attitude', Mr. Pink Tank himself? Don't make him mad he'll not only out burn you in the 1/4 mile he'll blow you apart while you're at it.
(Read as a silly joke please - I can't argue against a car section other than it's not armored)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 03:11 PM UTC
The serious car modelers have various sites that they hang out at. They have many more genres than we military modelers do. Regular cars, NASCAR, funny car, tuners, low riders, F1, hot rods, WRC, trucks, emergency equipment (fire, cop), the list goes on and on.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 03:42 PM UTC
As a car modeller I have to agree with Rob. I come to Armorama for AFV and aviation subjects. I can go other places for cars.

If we are to expand to civilian areas then we must include civil aircraft, all sorts of boats and merchant marine, trucks and buses...where will it end?

Lets stick to militay scale modelling (and turn a blind eye to the Trekkies ) or we risk losing focus.

Regards Dave
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2003 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(and turn a blind eye to the Trekkies )

Shouldn't it be "Treckers"?
And how about a new forum called Pedantic's Corner?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Agree with the others here on this one. Armorama is a great site for the military builders and should stay as it is for those interested in this segment of the overall hobby. But I must admit, I basically cut my teeth on building model cars way back in the days when the earth was young and the dios. were camped out in front of the cave on Saturday afternoons. Ha! And I really enjoy taking the time to look through the various model car mags. at the local book store and see what is being done today. Truly amazing, just like the armor stuff.

What would be nice here in this little discussion is if somebody would list some of the really nice model car/truck sites they've run across on the Net. so others could go there and check them out, whether just for fun, for serious, or for just a switch of pace every now and then. (I probably shouldn't metion this here, but I, on occasion, do build a model truck, just for a different change of pace).

Take care, sgirty
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
I think that Armorama must stay as a Military Modelling site. I supose this is the spirit of the site.
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi All
I haven't built a car model since I was 16. and don't plan to any time in the near future.
Jurgen
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I probably shouldn't metion this here, but I, on occasion, do build a model truck

Ohooooh sgirty, shame on you!
:-) :-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is a thought about cars at Armorama. I agree that we should stay military but how about this? A forum for cars that were used by the military. The kind I mean are staff cars, civilian ambulances, chaplain cars etc...

Why start a new forum for that. There have been several staff cars shown before on the armor section and they went down well. I like the fact that cars uséd for the military are as welcome as a tank.

The funny thing with cars is, some of the guys that build cars in our local IPMS are really talented. They build them to perfection ... literally. but when I look at them and see all the shiny chrome, they remind me of all the model die-cast cars available in shops. The chrome work, paint and decals (on trucks and racing cars) are so perfect they resmeble toys "to me". Sorry for my ignorance on the subject... only how I see it!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
Yeah on second thoughts i agree, lets keep this place the way it is
A few of you said there were some good car modelling web sites around, can anyone give me some links to the most popular and best ones? preferably hot rods, import tuners and muscle cars please, cheers
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 03:10 PM UTC
thats it the one thing the manufacturers have forgotten is 1/35 scale cars from the 20's and 30's till today.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Lets stick to militay scale modelling (and turn a blind eye to the Trekkies ) or we risk losing focus...

..... .....

I remember at the begining of the summer Jim specificly ruled out an automotive section because, as the site name implies, Armorama deals with armored AFVs. Even sci-fi ones.

YM
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC
Any cars I wanna see are posted on the AFV forum or the dios.

If I want t post hotrods or NASCAR, I'll go to another DG.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 04:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...Lets stick to militay scale modelling (and turn a blind eye to the Trekkies ) or we risk losing focus...

Like Master Yoda says, I also appreciatte the tolerance extended by you "purists" to us Trekie types.
I have a mixture of kits on the shelf: AFVs, Aircraft, and SciFi.
I dont think I'm savy enough with my new Aztek to camo with it yet so am doing SciFi first to get some experience up.

Thanks for enduring us fellas!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
as for cars used in the military...I believe we call those softskins and the space thingy...well the Enterprise is a "military" space ship so we are still keeping in the militarty spiit in that area.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 04:58 PM UTC
The majority of sci-fi models are military in nature. Star Trek vessels are commanded by a crew using military ranks and the ships are basically heavily armed futuristic capital ships. Those Gundam/Mech type robots are futuristic battle machines as well.

I actually built a car kit and put a build up review of it here at the site. I had worked on a Revell-Monogram PT Cruiser with my daughter. It was a real high quality snap kit so I bought another one for myself and made it into a psuedo retro army staff car. My mom liked it so much that my daughter and I made another retro army staff car for her as well.
Retro Army Staff Car was one of the first articles uploaded to the site.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I actually built a car kit and put a build up review of it here at the site. I had worked on a Revell-Monogram PT Cruiser with my daughter.

Coool, Rob. I like it!

Our previous Command Chaplain drove a PT Cruiser and we once threatened to paint it as a staff car. Now he's the commandant of the Chaplain's School -- I ought to send him pics of your model to show him what he missed!
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 14, 2003 - 06:13 PM UTC
heheheh, i like the pt, how long ago did you make that?
does anyone know of some good car modelling sites? as i said preferablly ones that deal with hot rods, muscle cars and import tuners, cheers
 _GOTOTOP