_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Best Acrylics and Why
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2013 - 04:23 AM UTC
for me vallejo,

both model air and colour have great coverage and are easy to use and mix, i never use straight from the bottle but mix it away from the airbrush,it needs a primer and i use a tamiya rattle can.
you can also use both with a brush...

i also have lifecolor, again these cover really well over a tamiya primer.

paul
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 02:18 AM UTC
I have decided to use Vallejo, for brush painting. I'll be posting a large collection of MM enamel paints for sale, soon.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
Be honest... I love Vallego. But for the first time, I just ran Mr Color threw my air brush. And I was impressed! Just making sure you do get the "Aqua" ones. I made the mistake once.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 01:53 PM UTC
Then it's not mr color but mr hobby paints then
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 06:11 PM UTC
now you got me flustered , are you talking about the lacquer based or the aqueous based .
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2013 - 12:00 PM UTC
Ah.. let me look at the bottle here.

"Aqueous"
Hobby Color

Mr Hobby
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 - 05:28 PM UTC
Tamiya acrylic thinner works great with that , the retarder does too .
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 08:25 AM UTC
Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Colour is very similar to Tamiya to work with, with two big advantages:

1. They come in FS, BS, RLM etc colours.
2. They dry to a semi gloss finish, which is much easier to get to a high gloss foe decals.

It thins with Tamiya X20A, and although it takes a bot longer to cure completely, once it does it is rock hard.

GS make two ranges though, one is called "Mr Color", and are lacquers. The other are Mr Hobby, or Hobby Color, both of these are the Aqueous range (there are two different styles of labels but the paint is the same).
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well not really an answer that you are looking for since you are thinking of switching to other brands but for me Tamiya is still lonely at the top when it comes to airbrushable paint.
It mixes perfectly with their own thinner. add a few drops of X22 clear and you get a really smooth and even coat of paint. It cleans easily. And the lack of colors can be catched up by mixing your own color. I have never in my life sprayed a Tamiya color directly out of the bottle. It was Always a mix. Bought a bunch of small glass jars with a plastic screw on lid specially for that purpose. That way I have them premixed with thinner as well... suck up with eye dropper put in cup and

I will probably be a minority here when it comes to Vallejo since I think the stuff is utter Rubbish. Aside from the problems I had with thinning it and constantly clogging up my AB's. Even the model air isn't as fantastic as they say. I also don't like the fragility of the paintcoat.

With Tamiya I never had those problems... Literally never

Try Mr hobby aqueous paints , they are in my opinion very similar to Tamiya acrylics , down to compatibility with the thinners and such . All the characteristics are identical even to the smell . It's just the numbers 300 and up are hard to get . Now if you want to try Mr Color which is a lacquer based paint but I believe it has a nice color selection . As for Vallejo I rate them in the same category as latex paints .
bigjsd
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC
Although the color choice is not as extensive as MM the Tamiya line to me is one of the very best Acrylics for airbrushing. I used to thin it exclusively with ISO at a 60/40 ratio. I recently began thinning it with Mr. Color Self Leveling thinner and have gotten VERY good results. This thinner has also greatly improved the brush ability of the Tamiya paint as well, which up until now was my only complaint about the Tamiya line. The bummer is I am now paying for thinner again. Another new acrylic I just had the pleasure of trying is Ammo Acrylics by Mig Jiminez. It airbrushed like a dream for me and again I only thinned with ISO. Haven't got a chance to brush with it yet but for airbrushing it was right up there with Tamiya but since it's a new line the color choice and availability are currently limited. The price is also a bit higher than Tamiya.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
Well, I am now the owner of the entire line of Tamiya acrylics. The spraying capabilities are superb! My main concern is the translation from airbrushing and brush painting. Even that has become of minimal concern, except when it comes to things such as interiors. I am experimenting with lacquer thinners to resolve this issue. I now realize that there would likely be slight color variations, due to normal wear a tear and lighting. I plan on purchasing a sampling of most other acrylic paints, to determine their capabilities. Games Workshop/Citadel colors are just too expensive to justify changing to them. I may also split my paint collection for differences, such as figures to vehicles. Thank you for all of the input.
Chrisk-K
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 310 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC
Tamiya all the way because it:

1. sprays extremely well.
2. can be extremely thinned.
3. grabs the plastic
4. is highly durable when cured unlike Vallejo-family acrylics.
5. can be easily cleaned with Windex or IPA even when it's cured.

Tamiya's limited color choice is not a problem for me because with a free app like imodelkit, I can easily reproduce almost any color.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya all the way because it:

1. sprays extremely well.
2. can be extremely thinned.
3. grabs the plastic
4. is highly durable when cured unlike Vallejo-family acrylics.
5. can be easily cleaned with Windex or IPA even when it's cured.

Tamiya's limited color choice is not a problem for me because with a free app like imodelkit, I can easily reproduce almost any color.

Tamiya is lacking in the being able to brush department. I know that there are products to resolve this issue, but would prefer something I can airbrush or hand brush without a purposed medium.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Colour is very similar to Tamiya to work with, with two big advantages:

2. They dry to a semi gloss finish, which is much easier to get to a high gloss foe decals.

It thins with Tamiya X20A, and although it takes a bot longer to cure completely, once it does it is rock hard.
In the Mr Hobby #301 to 347 are they still available where your at ,supposedly they have been discontinued or duplicated into the Mr Color line .
GS make two ranges though, one is called "Mr Color", and are lacquers. The other are Mr Hobby, or Hobby Color, both of these are the Aqueous range (there are two different styles of labels but the paint is the same).

chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC
[quote]Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Colour is very similar to Tamiya to work with, with two big advantages:

It thins with Tamiya X20A, and although it takes a bot longer to cure completely, once it does it dries rock hard .
GS make two ranges though, one is called "Mr Color", and are lacquers. The other are Mr Hobby, or Hobby Color, both of these are the Aqueous range (there are two different styles of labels but the paint is the same).[/quote

Is the Mr Hobby # 301 to 347 still available where you are . Supposedly they have been discontinued or incorporated into the Mr Color line .
 _GOTOTOP