_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Italeri getting better
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC
Just bought a panzer IV and Schwimmwagen and 234/4 and am amazed at the quality of these kits! How long have they been improved from the cruddy old Olive plastic? All they need to do now is simplify the Construction!Not difficult just annoyingly time consuming!
:-)
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
Depending on which Panzer IV, that kit has been out for nearly 20 years. Same with the Schwimmwagen. The old olive kits you are referring to are probably the old Peerless Max kits that they still have in their line. Italeri quality runs the gambit from the outstanding (but old) M-47 Patton and Leopard 1A4, to the terrible (but newer) Leopard II and modern US trucks (no one complains too much because it's the only game in town). Even some of their "new" kits are old reboxes like the M60 Blazer (13 yr old Esci kit) and the USMC M4 (13 yr old M4A2 "Jumbo").
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 10:11 PM UTC
I agree with Sabot here. I was really disappointed with the HEMTT series of trucks they did - so oversimplified that it makes a truck lover want to cry. Then with the LVT's - nice details and assemblies - though a little mixed-up on the finer details of the variants.

Buying an Italeri kit is like shooting craps in Las Vegas - sometimes you win - sometimes you don't...

Gunnie
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Sabot here. I was really disappointed with the HEMTT series of trucks they did - so oversimplified that it makes a truck lover want to cry. Then with the LVT's - nice details and assemblies - though a little mixed-up on the finer details of the variants.

Buying an Italeri kit is like shooting craps in Las Vegas - sometimes you win - sometimes you don't...

Gunnie

I'll remember that Guntruck. Thanks :-) :-)

Mark
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Even some of their "new" kits are old reboxes like the M60 Blazer (13 yr old Esci kit) and the USMC M4 (13 yr old M4A2 "Jumbo").

Let me clarify this statement, even though the M60 Blazer is an old Esci kit, it is still the best 1/35 scale M-60 series tank kit on the market. Age of the kit with Italeri does not necessarily mean it is good or bad. Best bet is to ask the question.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC
Like Sabot says, Italeri kits are a real mixed bag. Some are great (gotta heartily agree with the M-47), some are not so great, and almost all require filling of knockout pin marks or sink holes, but most of that's just basic modeling. When they offer the only kit of a subject in 1/35th scale styrene ... well, if you really want it for your collection, you'll deal with the shortcomings.

Personally, I kind of like most of the old Peerless reissues, even if they do require a bit more TLC.

And IMHO, it's hard to beat Italeri's prices. For instance, their jeep kit, though decades old, still holds up well against anything else on the market. With a little TLC, it is a real gem. I know Tamiya's newest jeep kit is better, but the Italeri kit is almost as good at a fraction of the price. Plus, it's light-years ahead of what Tamiya used to pass off as a jeep -- or as an LRDG jeep.

I can't wait to see the DUKW in person. If they even get half of it right, it's going to be better than scratch-building one (which I have been contemplating and gathering information on for at least 17 years).
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 06:26 AM UTC
I've got to agree with Bob on the price point here, except for late. The recent Italeri prices are up there. Why does the Revell of Germany LVT-(A)1 cost $5 less than the Italeri one? Also the USMC Sherman goes for near $30 when it is basically the same kit as their M4A3 Calliope that ran for $20 six years ago.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
I think Italeri is perfect for the beginner. Cheap and loads of room for improving our craftmanship with all the work that needs doing. Actually the Italeri section at my local hobby store intrigues me more than that of tamiyas. They have a great variety of vehicles and cover such a wide spectrum.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 10:56 AM UTC
Their M-60 blazer is killer Except for the tracks bad too many pin marks. better to get add ons. they really have improved a lot. their Panzer berge is pretty good also. and their Avenger Hummer is not to bad Don't know about the Hemtt it is on the way.
Their Stalin organ was the best one back in the 1970's. and still is.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC
A peep from the 'peanut gallery'....I appreciate Italeri's position in the marketplace....gee, sounds
like a business opportunity to me...but my only real complaint with them is their crappy styrene. Shouldn't one of their 'guys' talk to one of Tamiya's 'guys' and figure out how to acquire the same quality of plastic!!! I mean, it's just plastic, not dilythium!

O.K....I'm done.

Tread
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A peep from the 'peanut gallery'....I appreciate Italeri's position in the marketplace....gee, sounds
like a business opportunity to me...but my only real complaint with them is their crappy styrene. Shouldn't one of their 'guys' talk to one of Tamiya's 'guys' and figure out how to acquire the same quality of plastic!!! I mean, it's just plastic, not dilythium!

O.K....I'm done.

Tread

Good one their Tread
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 04:32 AM UTC
i have a lot of WWll italeri german kits, add photoetch and you have great projects. i have!
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:21 AM UTC
I have only built one Italeri kit, which I wasn't all too pleased with, but they do make models of some good subjects. Does anyone know how their Opel and Mercedes trucks and their new Crusader tank add up?

Nic
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
The Italiaeri M60A3 is still on pre-order status at Great Models... what is up? Is it out?
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 11:07 AM UTC
to commando supremo,
the opel and the mercedes re both excellent kits. BUT, get photoetch to make them perfect. on both the engines need a little work and the cabins need PE. after that they are great.
chris
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC
cheers for the kits lads!
just finished the mkIV panzer and it came out a beaut!
i used the eduard etched set for the guards and locks and now just need to spray!Here comes the start of my next dio(once i finish the current one)
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
i meant comments not kits!Doh
 _GOTOTOP