_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Most disapointing kit
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:31 PM UTC
I just wondered if anybody had really looked forward to getting a particular kit [either because it was well reviewed or a subject not readily available], and when they got it were totally disapointed with it? If so which kit and why?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:36 PM UTC
One that disappoint me very badly was Dragon's SCUD. It has a very bad fit so major repairs are needed. Until now, it still is 50% complete.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:04 AM UTC
Building it now, Tamiya's Hanomog 251. Just typical old school Tamiya. Bad detail, sizing is waaay off, some things are questionable. The emotion of procuring, anticipation, then realizing what dog it is, man - up and down.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:15 AM UTC
Got it and finished it a few months ago for my father. ICM48067 - ICM Spitfire Mk.IX Great Aces "Canadian Ace B.F. Beurling. Terrible fit. Needed putty galore. Couldn't get the engine to fit under hood so I chucked the motor and just mounted the exhaust through the exhaust ports. Decals literally fell apart in the water so I had a terrible time with them. Even with washing the kit before painting it didn't like paint very much either. Disappointing to say the very least.

HastyP

jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 03:02 AM UTC
Alan's Bison II... hands down the most frustrating kit known to mankind. I'm not even talking about the "soft detail" and such.... I'm talking just impossible to build......

My earlier rant on this kit........... hehe:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/18529&page=1

Later-
Jeff
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 03:47 AM UTC
Tamiya's M4A3 75mm Frontline Breakthrough. Hoping for a completely new tooled Sherman but it was just a moderately re-tooled version of the earlier M4A3 75mm Late.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
Mine would be AM stuff. Anything by Fanky Verlinden. I have four or five of their things and am just dissappointed in them.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
Yeah: Two such kits come to mind. The Revell Monogram 35 Scale F-15E Strilke Eagle. Went together and all really nice. And then once i got the landing gear in place. The collapsed under the wieght of all the bomsbs and missles. i.e. The landing gear struts were too week for the build. 2nd was a Academy 35 Scklae Tiger tank, Mid Production with full detail. One little problem though. The Upper Deck was SO warped it was beyound use or help. So Both kits got chucked. To me a really big loss and upsetting experience.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC
Italeri LVT series.

I've seen nice models made with these, but the tracks are so horrible and some of the detail is so simple that I gave up on one I started. And, the other sits in the box waiting me to spend (waste) money on aftermarket to make it into the vehicle that I want. It may have to be waiting a long time...

Steve
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi

The Academy M3 Honey. Interior is wrong. Fit is wobbly. If you build the interior, and fix it, you still can't get a driver to fit where he's supposed to go! detail is poor or absent in a lot of places. I was hoping for a kit that would be reasonably accurate, with decent fit, and that would look like a Honey. I got so frustrated finally that it's in the cupboard, and we'll see if I ever get back to it.

My therapy is a Tamiya Cromwell. Man, what a nice kit...

Andy
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
I was ley down by the skif t-64 kits.wasnt expecting much to begin with but they were worse off than i expected...total waste of money!!!!larry
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was ley down by the skif t-64 kits.wasnt expecting much to begin with but they were worse off than i expected...total waste of money!!!!larry

that and the Tamiya old schol T62 both.. the T64 has less of an excuse being a 90's-00's era kit.
I've not had good results w much by Verlinden either.. overpirces, overhypes, overmarketed stuff that does not fit.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that and the Tamiya old schol T62 both.. the T64 has less of an excuse being a 90's-00's era kit.
I've not had good results w much by Verlinden either.. overpirces, overhypes, overmarketed stuff that does not fit.

KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
Tamiya Meteor F3 - expensive, innacurrate, poor parts fit, poor parts location, lack of detail.

Tamiya Centurion Mk3 - old toy sold as a new kit. Expensive, lack of detail, poor parts fit.

Tamiya Chieftain Mk5 - old toy sold as new kit. Not as expensive as Centurion but lacking details, not representative of a Mk5, wrong painting instructions.

Tamiya Lotus 49B (1/12th scale) - Very expensive kit at the time (1970). Poor rework of earlier 49 kit. Very, very innacurrate. Impossible to build as 49B withour major scratchbuilding.

Best kit ever, Protar Ferrari 250GTO - absolutely exquisite. Best value for money, the old 1/24th Merit racing cars and Airfix 1/72 aircraft at 2/6d each. Where are the modern equivalents?

Regards Dave :-)
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 10:46 AM UTC
The biggest dissapointment was the Skif T-55...that was truely a horrible kit.

I never built the two I got and sold them on Ebay for a loss.

Thank god for the Tamiya kits...got 4 of them and could use another 4 #:-) #:-) #:-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
I was pretty disappointed with the Tamiya version of the M-551 Sheridan. A lot of research and gathering of parts enabled me to scratch what I needed. Years ago the SBD Dauntless by monogram. It had been OOP for years. Spent 5 years looking for one finally found it. I about cried when I saw the interior. Bought their TBD Devastator and kit bashed...first time ever doing anything other than OOB. I was proud of that one. I forgot who, but it was finally released by somebody that updated it.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:42 PM UTC
This would be an easy question to answer. NOT that I wasn't already familiar with their
track record and reputation for CRAP. But any Hobby Craft kit that I have purchased has been a great dissapointment, but you dont have any choice because that was the only kit offered of the subject matter.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
Testors F4-G Wild Weasel ...one word...putty
Academy's 1/72 B-29.....two words...more putty.

I'm sure there are more that I have in my stash just waiting to disappoint me as well.

Best Wishes
(:-)
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 895 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 03:57 PM UTC
I don't know if I can pin it down to any particular kit but I really hate working with photo etched parts they drive me crazy. #:-)
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
ModelCraft 1/48 F-82, a kit I always wanted but a look in the box and about 2 days worth of work lining up halves and filling seams sent this one into oblivion.
Still hoping Tammy gives us a nice 1/48 Korean War F-82 (Or Trumpeter in 1/24th!!)
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 426 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:31 PM UTC
So far, the last few Hobbycraft kits I have built are the worst I have EVER seen... Bf-109 and the M1 Abrams (Iraqi freedom series)....
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:39 PM UTC
Well, I've run into a few gripes along the way.
1). Missing hatch bumpers on all of the Tamiya Panther G's.
2). The inaccuracy of the Italeri Tiger turrets, that was a bummer for me.
3). no exhaust on the Dragon Kettenkrad, had to kitbash it with Tamiyas(another yuck)
4). the horror of the Italeri Panther A, can be made nice with PE and TLC.

Well, those are a few of the things I've run up against in my 30+ years of modelling.

Chris
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
Gotta be two kits from Italeri and one Maquette based on an Italeri kit.

1. Italeri T-26

2. Italeri BT-5

3. Maquette BT-2 ( This kit uses the Italeri BT-5 hull)

MajorNumpty
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:21 PM UTC
Academy M966 with it's too short differentials, knock out pin marks everywhere, over sized figures and details. And when put next to Tamiya's M1025 it looks smaller, as if it's in a different scale. Oh, and lots of kits from Italeri.
 _GOTOTOP