Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Most disapointing kit
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 05:39 PM UTC
As far as i can recall all the stuff from Hobbycraft i tried to build was .....dont wanna remember and also some older Italeri stuff that was wrong sizes flushed and without detail...mmm a Panther i think .
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Not that I've built too many but so far my most disapointing kit has been the DML Valentine. I'd never bought a kit by anyone but Tamiya and I was really interested in what a DML kit would be like. I found out later this one is a maquette kit that DML re-released. The instructions are pretty rudimentary, to my Tamiya spoiled eyes, and in only the 2nd step the kit doesn't match the instructions. I was totally underwhelmed by the instructions for making the link to link tracks as well.

I don't really blame DML for this one, since they just reboxed another kit, but if they're going to put their name on it they'd better put out better than this.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 07:59 AM UTC
There is a Cheq manufacturer (CMK) who repacks Tamiya kits with their own plastic parts and photoetch. I won a flak panzer and the Tamiya parts (Still with the Tamiya logo) were just fine. The CMK plastic was horrible, soft or no detail, poor fit. The etch was used on other models and perhaps I'll use it a wreck burned out and trashed. The caption could read "Jabo 1 flak Panzer 0"

Also, the Dragon Krad - what a disappointment - inaccurate and mine is still unfinished after nearly a year....
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
My two big disappointments were oneof those little Polish tankettes. Was really looking ot add a fun little thingie, but the indi tracks are absolutel;y overwhelmed by their sprues, just couldn't remove them.
The other is Tamiya's Rally Mini Cooper. I researched and plumbed the engine which loked really cool then added the body to the chassis and the intake manifold didn't fiy uneder the hood (bonnet).
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Well, Wile we are on the subject. I know remember why I swore off of Model Airplanes. The
last two Airplanes.......NO Make that THREE. But the FW-190/F-8 was alot better, Anyway. With both the F-15E Strike Eagle (Revell) and The Hawker Typhoon, (Revell) I have had to apply more putty that I ever had to with any tank that I have built in the past year or two. Now I realize that sometimes this is a challenge of our talents and abilities. and perhaps sometimes it's even a word on what we as hobbyist might be doing wrong. BUT facts are that (1) I've been doing this Hobby for a really long time. And (2) I know my way around models (3) I know all the rules. And I've built plenty of Airplanes in the past. BUT nothing Burns me more than parts that don't fit right and even if they do thier are still these horrible little open spaces in the fuselage that require serious filing in, Which drives me NUTS !! SO what with these kits
that seem to have that problems.ESPECIALLY....REVELL !! And Airplanes to boot. No wonder I stayed away from my Airplane pile for so long. It's sort ot like ARRRGGGG !!!
And now that I've vented that. I willl stand down !!
TreborYarg1
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thankfully I have been able to scratchbuild or super detail my way out of trouble with a lot of things over the years. But, as an avid 8th USAAF researcher and modeller, my biggest dissapointment was the Battleaxe Beech C-45. After spending nearly two years on the thing it still went in the bin. First time a model of mine has ended up that way and was a very upsetting experience at the time, I even thought of giving up all together after that and temporarily did. Its even more frustrating waiting for a replacement with the
' promised but yet to show and maybe never will ' ICM C-45.
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
I'm just wondering if a gap of over 7 1/2 years between posts in a thread is a record?

Most dissapointing kit?
I think I know somebody who will have an opinion on that!

Nige
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 12:51 PM UTC
There are no disappointing kits, only incompetent or inexperienced modelers who attempt projects that are too much for them, or who have too many expectations of the build vis a vis accuracy, etc..
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 12:58 PM UTC
To me it's the Tamiya P-47. I always read about it being a "shake'n'bake" kit so I poured in half a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and put it in the oven at 180c for 45 minutes.

It doesn't look like a P-47.

Very dissappointed !!

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC
Skif's MTLB. Wanted to build the beast. Got it in the mail and dove right in. The upper hull and rear don't mate up. There is about a 5mm gap from warping. Eventually, I'll take a blower dryer and a lot of patience to get this kit together. Been sitting in my closet for about a month, now.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
For me, it was Tamiya's 1/35 JGSDF Type 61 Medium Tank. I knew this kit had been around forever, however after Tamiya re-released it several years back there was a remark on the AMPS Model Kit List that said this re-release was an all-new mold. I believe some of the parts had been retooled but the tracks were a major disappointment as they were from the original kit (no detail on the inner side).
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are no disappointing kits, only incompetent or inexperienced modelers who attempt projects that are too much for them, or who have too many expectations of the build vis a vis accuracy, etc..

Sorry Kevin, I understand your point of view but I don't agree

I think that in the past we used to buy kit following just our feelings. In the past we had very little information about the kits on sale. Most of the times a good looking box art made the difference, but when we went home from the hobby shop and we checked into the box, our enthusiasm often turned into a big disappointment
It wasn't a matter of skill, it was just a matter of ...bad luck!
Nowadays we are luckier. Thanks internet we can choose our model knowing in advance all its pros and cons
Personally I've decided to NEVER buying stuff without knowing in advance what exactly I'm going to buy. It happened to me last Sunday. On the shelves of my favorite hobby shop, I saw the latest Zvezda Bt-5 kit. Box art was quite nice and the price wasn't too high. Spite of this, eventually I didn't get it 'cause I haven't already read any review about, and I really don't want to waste my money in dog kits. The only time I didn't follow this rule...I was wrong! I bought the Revell T-72B. It looks nice and crisp....but it has plenty of inaccuracies and I think I'll put it in my spare parts box

Cheers
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 11:47 PM UTC
I agree, Mauro. The Internet has provided us with so much good information about kits that it's possible with a little bit of digging and reading to avoid "dog" kits. For example, when I got back into modeling roughly two years ago I bought one of the Dragon or Cyber-Hobby T-34's. It gave me all sorts of trouble, but after asking around here I learned it's one of their worst "modern" T-34 kits. On the other hand, I picked up Dragon's Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. J on Saturday because I knew from the reviews here and elsewhere that it's a great kit.

Anyway, I don't know if it qualifies as a greatest disappointment, since I didn't have high expectations going in, but the old Dragon Imperial Grille Ausf. H has been my biggest headache.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry Kevin, I understand your point of view but I don't agree

I think that in the past we used to buy kit following just our feelings. In the past we had very little information about the kits on sale. Most of the times a good looking box art made the difference, but when we went home from the hobby shop and we checked into the box, our enthusiasm often turned into a big disappointment
It wasn't a matter of skill, it was just a matter of ...bad luck!
Nowadays we are luckier. Thanks internet we can choose our model knowing in advance all its pros and cons
Personally I've decided to NEVER buying stuff without knowing in advance what exactly I'm going to buy. It happened to me last Sunday. On the shelves of my favorite hobby shop, I saw the latest Zvezda Bt-5 kit. Box art was quite nice and the price wasn't too high. Spite of this, eventually I didn't get it 'cause I haven't already read any review about, and I really don't want to waste my money in dog kits. The only time I didn't follow this rule...I was wrong! I bought the Revell T-72B. It looks nice and crisp....but it has plenty of inaccuracies and I think I'll put it in my spare parts box

Cheers

Thank you for addressing that Mauro. Kevin regularly tries to antagonize people and you very carefully stomped on him.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
[/quote]
Thank you for addressing that Mauro. Kevin regularly tries to antagonize people and you very carefully stomped on him.[/quote]

Well Matt, to be honest I wrote it just to express my opinion about the topic, it wasn't my inention to stomp anyone ....
Personally here on Armorama, I avoid any kind of arguments with anyone

cheers
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for addressing that Mauro. Kevin regularly tries to antagonize people and you very carefully stomped on him.[/quote]

Well Matt, to be honest I wrote it just to express my opinion about the topic, it wasn't my inention to stomp anyone ....
Personally here on Armorama, I avoid any kind of arguments with anyone

cheers [/quote]
I appreciate your thoughts. "stomp" may have been an incorrect term. I was never here...
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 06:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To me it's the Tamiya P-47. I always read about it being a "shake'n'bake" kit so I poured in half a bottle of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and put it in the oven at 180c for 45 minutes.

It doesn't look like a P-47.

Very dissappointed !!

...I believe the destructions stated very clearly that it was "180F"...see, there was your{just one- huh} problem!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm, alittle dark outlook there huh...ok....while some kits are or aren't a challenge to make accurately....and every one's outlook of accuracy is different....some kits fall together easily and some are just a bear to deal with. Any old AMT semi truck/trailer kit has untold amounts of sinkholes and warpage of some kind - then add fit issues to the mix. I still like them and I build them anyway and they turn out fine enough for what they were to begin with and sometimes even better.
I saw in another car forum that a gentleman came out with a very nice '77 Pontiac Can Am resin body..only I've ever seen made. While it was nice it had some flaws...flaws that an experienced modeler could have fixed with some work...but most folks there chastised the poor guy saying it was too much hassle to get it where they deemed it needed to be and now I can't get him to reply to my emails that I still want one. He took the time to make and try and sell a car that no-one had ever done before...that effort has to count for something I think.....alot of folks complaining but no-one else stepping up to make or make better.
Sometimes you can count rivets and sometimes you gotta just take the subject for what and how it is and build it anyway....like the old Aurora Tucumcari boat I'm trying to build right now...tons of fit and warpage issues but I'll stick with it anyway cause it's neat and one of a kind. It didn't bother me when I built it as a kid, and even though I'm older and alittle wiser, I'll still build it again anyway...simply because I like it, and there's always another kit that will be "better"...
Middle_Franconian
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 279 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 08:00 AM UTC
Just my thoughts: I think you cannot blame a 30 years old kit for being a "dog" kit. As Mauro wrote, the internet gives you a lot of help on researching whether a kit is worth the money or not.

In my eyes, kits are disappointing when they are brand new issues but have significant flaws in them which could have been avoided very easily. I think e.g. of
Revell´s 1:35 Kanonenjagdpanzer: left out optical squares on the comander´s hatch (only 6 instead of 8...). I am not the so-called rivet counter, but I have kept this in my mind...

Servus,

Sebastian
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just my thoughts: I think you cannot blame a 30 years old kit for being a "dog" kit. As Mauro wrote, the internet gives you a lot of help on researching whether a kit is worth the money or not.

That's why I said I didn't have high expectations for the kit in the first place. Also, I didn't stumble into the kit because I didn't check around first ... I was asked to build it for a friend. Knowing it's 30 years old and a dog by current standards, I would never have spent my time on it otherwise.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sabastian, I actually wouldn't call the old AMT kits dogs...when one wants a K-123 coe semi tractor you've got no other choice...like you said, one simply needs to understand up front that there will be filling issues with these old and re-released girls... the trailers were fit issues, and filling issues.

Quoted Text

In my eyes, kits are disappointing when they are brand new issues but have significant flaws in them which could have been avoided very easily.

I agree, but I'd never expect AMT to retool or make new molds - too much money there, so it's a given with AMT trucks and trailers that nothing has changed, just a few new decals options in the re-release and the same old grind - only that they're a heck of alot less than the old kits on ebay{re-released @ $36 compared to $100 for an origonal on evilbay...and you have to fill either way to make them look good, but the lower priced ones are to my liking!}
Having built quite a few of these I know what to expect and I won't call them dogs or crummy...they simply are what they are and require some added input to look good. Some of us here actually appreciate the re-releases, though I may be in the minority in that.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 01:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In my eyes, kits are disappointing when they are brand new issues but have significant flaws in them which could have been avoided very easily. I think e.g. of
Revell´s 1:35 Kanonenjagdpanzer: left out optical squares on the comander´s hatch (only 6 instead of 8...). I am not the so-called rivet counter, but I have kept this in my mind...

You're right Sebastian, but also in this case internet has given us a HUGE advantage. All the new releases have to pass the examination of internet modeller forums. Companies know that ALL the flaws and inaccuracies of theyr new kits, will be judge by townsend of modellers on internet....and, we know, modellers are on average very demanding indeed
Rumors about a new kit can affect its succes or its fails.
It happened for example to latest Hobbyboss Merkawa which has big inaccuracies in the lower hull rendition. Another example is Trumpeter T-62. In the past we would have just say :"WOW SO COOOL I'LL BUY IT!..." Nowadays, thanks to a tread posted on Missing lynks, ( http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/thread/1258576504/Some+more+T-62+plan+comparisons ) we know that is "just" a very good kit which has flaws on the turret and on the engine deck.

So in my opinion, not only tecnology has improved the latest kits...also "internet" has contributed

regards
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
About old "dog" kits which need just to be improved, In general I agree

There's only one thing I can't accept : dimensional and shape errors

I think that a skilled modeller can improve with any problem the poor details of an old kit and I believe that it'll be able to do an outstanding job
But if the same modeller has to change shapes, has to saw the model to lengthen it or to shorten it, if has to undertake a huge amount of work to correct the kit shape..well maybe it would be better for him waiting for a new tool or doing something else

Anyway, of course, unless he doesn't have any chance to reproduce the subject

cheers
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 04, 2011 - 02:23 PM UTC
True...but sometimes you just can't be a rivet counter to have fun-

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy