_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Revell Monogram moving to China!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 02:45 PM UTC
This is sad news to me. After so many years of building home grown kits from this company. And its also sad , the reality, money talks! I will realy miss this old company.
Kids over the last 60? years have been cutting there teeth on this companies affordable kits.
Any one else going to miss this old company? They will still be in buisness, but it wont seem the same.

Regards,
Garry
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 03:46 PM UTC
It has not been the same since all that stuff that happened a few years ago. I was sure then that RM was going under. It will be a passing of an era.(sniff, sniff)
capnjock
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 07:39 PM UTC
It's all about the money move it to China were the labour costs are lower which means lower overheads Hornby the model train maker has also done it as well but will you get cheaper kits because of the reduced overheads Hmm dont think so. We have a similar problem here in the UK with company call centers being moved to India because of the costs ect it's funny as they make them watch the soaps so they can understand the regional accents
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:11 PM UTC
Yes of course costs go down with such a choice. Unfortunately quite often also the quality
drops because the skilss of the people is often directly proportional to their salaries...
Ciao
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC
i hate those call centres, i called one to get a replacement credit card sent out, cos my old one broke, and the csr didnt understand what i was asking for, i was then diverted to a branch in britain where my request was dealt with in 5 minutes, after trying for 15 to explain to someone in bombay, I NEED A NEW CARD!. not to hard is it.
i hate the way companies move production lines etc abroad, but i suppose its the way of the world these days
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:39 AM UTC
I understand (and share) the feelings of nostalgia over RM. Many of us cut our teeth on the Revell kits of the 60s and 70s. Monogram, was always more difficult to find in Britain but well worth finding... I don't see this move as a problem, perhaps it will allow RM to start thinking of some new releases and stop this endless recycling of kits which don't reach any modern standard, curious to know if Revell (Germany) is going to b einvolved in this restructuring....Jim
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC
Geez, I don't know what's all the complaining about. goes to china means cheap model price. Well, if model is expensive, it's bad, if it's cheap because it moves to china or malaysia it's bad. Just can't please all people.

I am a merchandising executive for a branded electronic company, yeah, I am the one buying stuff for sell in big department stores. I buy all my stuffs in China, customers are happy, I am happy, factories are making money, so what's there to complain?

And for them of you still think moves to China means a lower quality, you need to think DML, Trumpeter, Tristar. All in China, man.

Geez.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
Lord Dave, I could not agree with you more, looking at what the Chinese manufacturers are coming up with, (Trumpeter, Dragon etc., etc,) I don't think any comment about Chinese quality is either justified or has any sense... RM are moving their operation to China? Surely iy they are continuing to work with 30 year-old moulds, the quality is gonna be the same, I don't know how that can be the responsibility of their workforce, Chinese, Japanese or Martian.... JIm
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
oh forgot. AFV too, I think.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:33 AM UTC
Lord Dave,
I dont think anyone is slagging off the quality of whats made in China but
the question is will the kits still be the same old moulds/prices at the end of
the day it's all about profit reguardless were it's made I think people are
pointing to the fact is that will reduced overheads somenew tooling could
be done
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
If it means the survival of their company, they will do it. It would be nice to see Airfix doing this as well, take a look at their catalogue- pathetic, 20-30 models, nothing new for years, I would love them to move their production facility to China if it means they can go back to producing modern, well-planned kits and not living on their reputation, like some aging movie star. RM also suffered from this sindrome, the glory days of the past cannot be maintained simply through their name....JIm
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It has not been the same since all that stuff that happened a few years ago.

Anyone know what Capn Jock refers to?

I was laid low and not modeling so I dont know first hand
the rest of the thread talks about milking old molds to death.

And the "global economy"
Welcome to the New World Order

I know some members of the forum think this is good, and in the short term it surely is.
BUT
Where will your children/grandchildren work???

Soapboax over, back to modeling...
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 04:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It has not been the same since all that stuff that happened a few years ago.

Anyone know what Capn Jock refers to?

I was laid low and not modeling so I dont know first hand
the rest of the thread talks about milking old molds to death.

And the "global economy"
Welcome to the New World Order

I know some members of the forum think this is good, and in the short term it surely is.
BUT

Learn a skill that cannot be replaced by cheap labour. That's my answer to it.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
Sigh, it's really a shame...
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:03 AM UTC
Who cares if monogram moves to china? hell everyone else has moved there all ready hell im going to move there to.any body got chinese on tape so i can learn? my sorry attempt at humor...but if we get new kits im all for it....larry
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
It is just the sign of the times. Bigger bonus for the big guys less quality for the consumers and low or no pay for teh worker
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They can move to India and do telemarketing for contributions for the RNC .. Or tech support for Dell...

"Goode daie, I am Uday and I ams to takes cares of technicals problems of computers, has yet to try chutney for fix of problems?"
#:-)
Good morning america, Wal Mart where the only thing American are the underpaid workers Lord Da is right, "we americans" need to adjust to global trends as a whole, not simply let our corps ship all our jobs away.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Ordinarily, it wouldn't bother me much. Kinda sad that the last of the American Kit manufacturers has now pulled up stakes. But, because I lost a wonderful job with a great company 2 years ago because my comapany sent all their manufacturing into China, it infuriates me. I am still struggling to find a decent job. I can't even land one two levels below where I was working unless I accept less than halfpay, and I sure wasn't making tons to begin with.
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 895 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
Yes it is disapointing but as I understood only the production is moving to China, corporate offices will remain in US. I guess I can't blame them for the economics of the move there is to many goverment regulations and taxes on industry that cost them money and end up costing us (the modelers) in the end. I hope I am wrong but I don't see anything really new from them. I suspect it will be the same products but hopefully at a price that does not bankrupt children getting into modeling which in my opinion is a real and serious problem. While I'm on a role I have to say it's totally ridiculus that 1970 Tamiya kits are selling in hobby stores for $20+. Hey! maybe my therory of goverment buracracy and taxes has a point. I don't know just my thoughts.
(:-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ordinarily, it wouldn't bother me much. Kinda sad that the last of the American Kit manufacturers has now pulled up stakes. But, because I lost a wonderful job with a great company 2 years ago because my comapany sent all their manufacturing into China, it infuriates me. I am still struggling to find a decent job. I can't even land one two levels below where I was working unless I accept less than halfpay, and I sure wasn't making tons to begin with.

I am in the same boat Blaster. My wife and I have both lost our jobs becouse the companies we worked for moved there production to malaysia (spelling) .
And like you, we are still looking for a decent paying job!

Hang in there brother.

Garry
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 03:31 PM UTC
I am so fed up with all the US businesses moving out of the country. How is the economy here supposed to rebound if all the jobs are being taken away by the Chinese, Indian and others? The problem here is Mr. George "Bring them On" W. Bush. He was the one who signed off on letting American businesses go elsewhere (read: other cheap countries) so that they can make a ton of money, pay little or no taxes and live happily ever after. Someone has got stop this. My father has lost two jobs in two years because places he worked for moved (one to China and one to Mexico). Just to clarify things, my dad has an advanced mechanical engineering degree and for most of his life has been designing very complex machines of all types. Taking away jobs from Americans just to save a few bucks is so wrong. I for one will boycott Revel Monogram and will not buy any of their kits.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off like that but this issue bothers me very much. Got to go sniff some glue and calm down #:-)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Learn a skill that cannot be replaced by cheap labour. That's my answer to it.

Well I have, and for now, am okay, I worry about things shifting in my industry faster than I can keep up, of course.
It sounds like others haven't been as fortunate, and we cant do this wholesale indefinetely and expect to live consequence free.

Revell probably HAD to do it, if they wanted to compete with imported kits, and hopefully they can retool some molds from the move.

Maybe the only safe work is handling imports on the docks.

In the last two years, I've heard that 10% of our manufacturing capacity has been moved overseas. I thought it took carpet bombing to diminish manufacturing capacity by double digits.
 _GOTOTOP