_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
How to Preserve Bristles
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 08:04 PM UTC
Learned this one from my dad and grandmother. To preserve your paint brush, you will need oil(non food item) and paint thinner. Before the initial use, work a very small amount of oil into the bristles. Now, rinse it in paint thinner. After you are finished using the brush, clean it normally. Again, work a very small amount of oil into the bristles. Repeat this process, every time you use your brush. For added life, use paintbrush soap.
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 03:15 AM UTC
As a sign writer, as well as a modeller, using natural bristled brushes, I use petroleum jelly/Vaseline. It nourishes the bristles and helps to maintain their shape when set aside. Just use standard spirit cleaner to clean it off when you use them.
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2013 - 03:22 AM UTC
I use bridal tule (the netting a bride puts over her face) as a brush scrubber. It gets the paint out without having to mash the bristles, and then I clean it in mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol (depending on the paint I used). Been doing it for nearly 30 years and I still have some of the original brushes... I also tend to use Japanese ink brushes for fine work...they hold up far better than most others.
 _GOTOTOP