_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
The Ultimate Workspace
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
Ok, For those of yuo who may not know, I'm moving into my First house. I get part of the Basement to use as a shop. The only thing that's a Definite is the shape of my workbench (which will be a "L" shape. I'm looking for Suggestions on:

Lighting

Flooring (paint, Tile, or a Low Pile Carpet )

Anything else you may want to throw in.

Thanks,
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
If the floor is smooth concrete,I reccomend paint,a light color.Then Tile as a second choice.
A few shelves facing you,to hold kits/seldom used tools.also if they are high enough up,you can tack the instruction sheet to it,so you can look up to see the next step,and avoid gluing parts accidently to the sheet.
At right angles to the build area could be your painting area.If you are fortuneate enough to have a booth with fan,you can find it easier to vent to the outside.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 05:54 AM UTC
got to watch with the smooth surface flooring as it'll make the part bounce ok the carpet monster is bad but at least you can find the part using a hoover if need be. dont forget a mini
fridge for the beers either
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 06:06 AM UTC
Currently it has a tile floor that's coming up in spots. That's why I'd like to put a "office" style carpeting in. Something like a Indoor/Outdoor type.
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 07:52 AM UTC
If you go with an office carpet, don't make the mistake I did. In my office (computer consultant) I put in a light brown/cream patterned carpet, very thin. I am amazed how easily a screw will disappear on that carpet.

You might want to think about grabbing a couple little model pieces of different colors and lay them on the sample before you select a piece.

Don
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:27 PM UTC
Fluorescent on the light easier on the eyes!
Is my 2 cents worth.

As basement you have it made on noise so why not run some Plastic air line around the room at selected areas so you can paint in different places. Plus get yourself a large compressor and plumb it to shop for air.
Another 2 cents worth
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:29 PM UTC
I have an "L" Shape also
It is formica counter tops with holes drilled in it for wires, etc from Home Depot.
They rest atop two drawer file cabinets.
There is prefab shelving screwed into the walls studs above counter top to hold books, clamp lights to etc.

Indoor outdoor carpet is great IMO if you get that stuff that has no shag, and you can run your hand slowly over it and find your missing (dropped) part. Maybe Scotchgard the hell out of it before the thinner tips over, and the wash brings out the detail of your carpet.

Wish I could offer a recommendation about a spray sytem but havent made it that far yet, and if you dont in your first build up leave yourself the option to at least lay some dryer vent hose later to draft away the fumes.

I just work in my office with a ceiling fan and spray/airbrush in the garage or abck porch.
So a fan or ceiling fan for circulation while your painting, puttying, glueing, etc.
More serious of course when the Airbrush comes out.

Post pics of what you build for us to see!
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:49 PM UTC
three words.....PURPLE SHAG CARPET.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 01:16 PM UTC
Matt
Did you see this Forum post?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/21019&page=1
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
I've seen that one too. I'm keeping an eye on it as well......
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
I think I may have mentioned this when we were chatting at lunch the other day.
I made my workbench using old kitchen cabinets as the base. On top of this I have a home made plywood top with a riser in the back. Back to the kitchen cabinets, the sink base has a wide opening in the front for your legs. And I have a corner piece on one end with a "lazy susan" that's great for storage. Then I have a six drawer base that forms the leg of the "L" shape. My spray booth sits on top of this.
I like this height for doing my modeling. It reminds me of my pre-computer days at the drawing board. And speaking of drawing boards, if you can get your hands on one, they make great workbenches too.
If you want, I could snap a picture or two to show you how it looks.
Craig

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 01:23 AM UTC
I've only got a "C" size drafting Board....... I'm gonna look for a drafting table too.....
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...The only thing that's a Definite is the shape of my workbench which will be a "L" shape...

My bench started out as a picnic table covered in 1/8" thick masonite, and built the rest from there...
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:48 PM UTC
See my posts and others under dioramas forum, the ultimate workshop.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 01:59 PM UTC
Picked up my "L" shped counter top from a re-use center... 6 foot on the long end and 2 foot on the short.. Screwed together some 2x4 legs, and left the back portions of the legs extra long and screwed then right to the wall... Now its stable.. The longer back legs will let me screw some peg board up...

Dave
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 05:37 PM UTC
Consider also having some shelves right above your workbench area which is very usefull and also many closing closets so prevent the dust the sun the humidity and the lil children hands!!! i also have my compressor in an isolated area and have tubing coming to my pain point so i use my airbrush with not having all the noise on my hand
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC
Yeah I perfer the L Shape as well. One side will have drawers to keep supplies and things in and will be the primary work desk. The other side will be where I keep the parts wiating to be used as well as the Paints needed for the project. etc, I know I am forgetting something. But I had a similar set up a long time ago in North Dakota. A basement work area in fact. HOPEFULLY this coming year I can move to someplace where I can set things up accordingly. I already own the Main Desk. I will just have to find the other half to work from. BUT for now my dinnette table in my One Bed Room apt serves as my work area. And occassionally a dinning area. LOL
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 01:29 AM UTC
Looks Like the Carpet is out.......I get the Sub Basement now (It's A Split Level house)......
I'm sharing space w/ the Furnace And Sump Pump............

So what's the Best Paint Color going to Be.........

L shape Bench Pleanty of storage........ Flourescent Lights for General and Several Swing Arm types for Specific lighting.......
 _GOTOTOP