_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
applying putty
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 08:35 AM UTC
What method do you guys use to apply putty? I use metal scultping tools but find I have little control.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
Depends on the size of area I'm put on the putty.
Arm and waist gaps I use metal sculpting tools. If its a larger area I use a large tool and then my finger to get it worked in.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
i use the back of the x-acto kinfe blade its nice an stright, and i put tape around where the putty will go then i will putty
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
In the most part of the cases I use Tamiya putty thinned with acetone and applied with an old brush. In this way I have 100% control on it!
Ciao
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi godfather

What sort of filler do you mean?

My technique varies depending which filler I'm using...

All the best

Rowan
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 07:03 PM UTC
I use some dental tools used for tooth fillings and they re good for it. i ve also used my fingers which also works nice in bigger areas , i ve tried the flat back of a toothpick , that also works fine and some small plastic palette knives used for 2 part epoxy glues but didnt like them. But look around in the kitchen in the restaurants everywhere you can find something usefull that suits you !!!
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Funny you should mention that. I had a serious job in filling in some places on the Revell Kit Hawker Typhoon. So Using Squadons White Putty, And in most cases a tooth pick, and
Tape (outside the edges of the area to be filled) I filed in the cracks. But in some cases I simply put some on a finger and gently spread along the affected area over lapping the taped off area. But not too much ! Anyway it works pretty nicely. Of course after it dries. I apply
some nail polish remover( Regular / Cutex ) with a Q-tip swab, Running it back and forth across the dried putty until it blends in with the area that has been effected. Pretty cool, and it works very nicely.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Toothpicks work nice. They can be carved to any shap you need.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 08:00 AM UTC
:-) I have a dental tool which is like a mini spatula, I use it all the time. If there is detail close by then I lay down tape either side of the area to be puttied, apply the putty, sparingly. Remove the tape (which removes the excess putty as well), then lay down more tape, before sanding. Works every time :-)
Mal
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
I have used many different types of putty depending on the job that is at hand, I use tamiya with a piont cap for small gaps, sometimes testor red putty these putty are a liquid based. Larger I use squadron white putty but only when I fill large gaps or corners it's not really that workable this is a contour putty very thick.. Tools I use; paper clips, or x-acto knife or scuplting tools depends on huge of a area I am working with.Painting the putty is a different story.

firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:34 PM UTC
What can I thin Squadrons White Putty with???
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What method do you guys use to apply putty? I use metal scultping tools but find I have little control.

As an applicator, I use old paint brushes (the width depends on how large the gaps are). I do not throw away my brushes when they are no longer suited for painting.

Naturally, I thin the putty sufficiently before I apply it.

Ron
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) I have a dental tool which is like a mini spatula, I use it all the time. If there is detail close by then I lay down tape either side of the area to be puttied, apply the putty, sparingly. Remove the tape (which removes the excess putty as well), then lay down more tape, before sanding. Works every time :-)
Mal

What Mal said.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
I use a small triangle spatula that I got @ the local ceramics shop. It's about the size of an
#2 Xacto blade and about .005 thick. It's very flexable and comes to a rounded tip about an
1/8 " . Kinda like a masons trile.
daredevil
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 03:31 PM UTC
For hairline cracks I use Squadron "green" applied with a #16 Xactor blade thinned with Testor's plastic cement (bottle with brush applicator). For thicker gaps I mask both sides of the crack, use the "white" putty & smooth out with nail polish remover. For really big gaps in figures, I just use some Milliput and smooth out with some water.

I've used toothpicks, dental tools, fingers--and some really cool oddball tools made from those big tongue depressers. They can be cut & shaped with sandpaper and Dremel tool into a lot of interesting shapes and sizes to accomodate most any job.
--daredevil
 _GOTOTOP