_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Designing a workshop
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
I'm getting deeper and deeper into modeling and now have a complete room set aside for the hobby.

I am trying to get some ideas for my benches.

So here is the question: If you were to set up a new hobby room, what things would you make sure you incorperated?

Any suggestions for things to look at and plan ahead for?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to design the room once and then spend time building!

Don Busack
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:18 PM UTC
A lock on the door.

glack
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:19 PM UTC
I use counter tops from the hardware store sitting atop two drawer file cabinets.
The height is about right.
I've got pre fab shelves above to hold reference books and the occasional finished kits.
Plus
Its where the overhanging light sources are clamped in to.

Now I need to work a spray booth, and see the recent post about a paint rack, I need one of those.
There was a thread around Halloween about cleaning up your modeling area and a lot of guys posted there work, you may draw some inspiration from that as well.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 05:27 PM UTC
Plenty of electrical outlets and good lighting!

A small refrigerator under the bench helps out too.

If you're looking for a room/table/bench layout, spank my banner and go to "The Author page". I built my workshop ~14 years ago and it's the best place that I've ever had.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:25 AM UTC
To me the most important aspect is the ability to perform each step on model making with the minimum of moving stuff and climbing over stuff. I have my working area and painting area layed out in such a way that all I have to do is swivel my chair around and I can do one or the other. The rest of the room is storage area for not -frequently used tools/supplies, paints and documentation. Most of my kits are stored in the basement to keep my workroom clear for movement.
capnjock
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 02:51 AM UTC
Lighting. Lots of it, make sure you design it so that you can clamp lights or place lights in various places without reducing the effective use of the space around it.
Lots of 'bin' storage, peg board type of deal, or cork board backing.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
Starting next week, I'm doing the same thing, setting up a small bedroom as a building room.

I plan to keep the computer out of the room, I find I spend waayyy too much time reading about modeling online and not enough time building.

I'm putting in two long tables in a corner for the purposes of having space to work on almost all aspects of building, painting, decaling, etc..

I won't have running water, but it would be nice. Small beer fridge, lots of light, latch on the inside of the door, make sure there is a flat floor surface -no carpet, no old wood- to find launched parts. Lots of reference storage, aftermarket bits in the room, many kits in closet.
CD player. No TV, no computer

I'm also going to put in a 4-5 foot high stand-up working section, I'm 6'4" and most sitting workspace is uncomfortable.

Eventually I'd like some class cabinets to store buildups in, but not right away.

Other things I'm missing?

Mike
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 04:06 AM UTC
A standup work station...i was thinking of that but thought my wife would think i was crazy...thanks for reminding me...i'm gonna do one down the wall from where my table is...thanks mld...glack
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thank you for all the ideas.

As far as no computer, I have to have that in there. I have been collecting pictures and reference materials for the past several years. :-)

Once I get the room completed I will make sure and post pics of it.

Don Busack
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
I'd have a TV turned to the History Channel with a DVD player (or computer) that I could use to freeze frame DVDs to garnish details like the Ti-67 in the movie The Beast. I enjoy watching the History Channel while I build. Or rather listening to the HC while building.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
I had the same opportunity. Build my "playroom" in our unfinished lower level.
1. Distinctive black and white square pattern linoleum (to find little pieces that went airborne) and to make cleaning easier.
2. General lighting. Here's a good trick. For general lighting, use fluorescent lights but use a combination of cool white and warm white bulbs for a more natural, non-sterile effect. Remember, on a four-bulb fixture, the two ballasts take the inner two and the outer two bulbs as pairs, so you do the same with the bulbs. And when one bulb burns out, replace its partner or the ballast will be short-lived.
3. Agree with counter-tops. Most home stores have precut ones in the most popular styles. Why pay more?
4. Use verticle space. I bought the cabinets you assemble yourself (scale 1" equals 1") and have them under the counter-tops and on the walls, just like a kitchen.
5. I have two places where I can scoot my chair, so I have two places to get up close and personal.
6. I built an exhaust line for my paint booth that goes outside (with a flap louver cover) and hid the METAL exhaust line through the cabinet nearest the booth so it wouldn't show.
7. Bought a few drop down spice racks thingies to go under my wall cabinets for things like my pastels, etc.
8. Put up a sign outside the door saying, "No GURLS allowed" ala Peter Pan.
9. Made a cabinet where I keep my reference books. It swings open, revealing the area under the stairs where I keep my longer pieces of wood. (Don't tell the Fire Marshall). By the way, I numbered my reference books, and used the computer to enter the book number, page(s), topics (like figures, uniforms, weathering, etc.), description, and comments. Then, I sorted them by topic, then book, then page. I can find anything fast. When I get more references, I add them to the database and resort and reprint. Saves me hours of hunting.
10. Left a ledge on the wall to give me additional storage for most used items. The ledge is useful for references which I can stick inside the Plexiglas page displays you can buy.
11. Get as much horizontal work surface as you can.
12. Consider, natural color task lighting.
13. One wall has a work surface with storage above for kits and figures and below for Moto Tool storage and other items. It has my "hard" cutting area, a white (replaceable) Masonite cutting area with rubber underneath and cutting and sawing tools on a board on the wall with the saws, box-knives, etc. One wall has one work area with paints in drawers below and the ledge for references and I added a glass block window for light and security. Also, I store all my casting materials and chemicals in one cabinet underneath ( a corner cabinet).
14. One wall has the paint booth with raw materials (styrene, basswood, brass, etc.) underneath and everything from clay and things to texture clay, to decal lotions and potions, magnetic jigs, mortar and pestle, punch sets, etc. overhead. Also, some work area.
15. The last wall is my "scenery" section. It has storage underneath for spices (for leaves), dried thingies I get from Michaels, and where I keep my plaster and Durhams and Cellulclay, and about everything Woodland Scenics makes, plus my mixing bowls and tools, and shelves above for more access to scenery products. And my stereo. It also has my "soft" cutting area, a self-healing mat on the work surface and rolling blade cutters and razor knives on the wall behind.
16. My dirty shop is behind, where I have the power tools for messier sanding and cutting.
17. There are two places where I can scoot my chair under the counter-top. But I donated one originally to a small refrigerator for..., but then added more storage for scenery stuff.
18. The only thing left is my sagebrush, corn silk and tumbleweed that is so bulky, I keep it in another storage area until needed.
Now, if I only had talent...

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 01:32 AM UTC
Once we move into the new house.......Ahhhhhh a large space to fill up!!!! Large open Areas to spread out on and Pleanty of storage are the Keys!!!!!
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I enjoy watching the History Channel while I build. Or rather listening to the HC while building.

I agree Sabot,
Its on almost anytime I'm in my office for background noise, and info of course, and the rest of the networks really insult your intellegence.
Cant get enough of them, (HC).
I do post in the forums a lot when i could be modeling more, but I'm getting the models done, and think a computer is handy to have nearby
Good to have Armorama and Google nearby, but very distracting.

Do love to have the History Channel on in the office though
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Plenty of lighting from different sources, both for color rendition and point sources for higher intensity. General exhaust fan for removing glue fumes and sanding particles. An open window works ok except during inclement weather.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2003 - 07:12 PM UTC
the lights are good the bench is good but i think most of all take care to make closing storage spaces closets, drawers and stuff like this will be helpfull to keep a tidy situation, if possible..and not allow dust and curious people affect your treasure
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
If this link works, you can see what I was referring to previously, a lot of horizontal space and storage in a relatively small area.
http://groups.msn.com/SealheadPhotoGallery/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
Sealhead
The URL is stating about gotta be a member to see the pics
firemann816
Visit this Community