_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Who wants to be the saviour of Air Force One?
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC
"First Air Force One plane decaying in Arizona field
Getty

By AP staff, Associated Press

TUCSON, Ariz. - The first plane to be designated as Air Force One now sits in a southern Arizona field that's part of Marana Regional Airport.

The aircraft that once spirited President Dwight D. Eisenhower on cross-country voyages is nearly forgotten on a 10-acre parcel, decaying under the relentless glare of the sun.

Efforts to sell the aircraft at auction were unsuccessful and it was parked at the Marana airport in 2005 in a lease agreement.

The aircraft has no hangar to shelter it from the sun's rays, which are gradually breaking down the aircraft.

The Arizona Daily Star says a New Mexico man now owns the plane.

A contractor who serves as the aircraft's caretaker is looking for a museum willing to take it and restore it."

This news article is currently on MSN...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
Your title is misleading. I was going to ask who all was on it and if I could be guaranteed that all passengers would perish.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 07:33 AM UTC
You know I find that offensive. You are from the US and just publically wished for the President to die in a plane crash? No matter how bad they are he is still the president. Sorry I just think that was very uncalled for!

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know I find that offensive. You are from the US and just publically wished for the President to die in a plane crash? No matter how bad they are he is still the president. Sorry I just think that was very uncalled for!

I never said that. If it was guaranteed that everyone would die, I would save it. You automatically assume that I would prefer a tragedy. That IS offensive.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your title is misleading. I was going to ask who all was on it and if I could be guaranteed that all passengers would perish.

You were asking who was on it and if you could be guaranteed all would perish...... How else is that to be taken? Maybe worded wrong I suppose. Maybe I would have asked if I was guarenteed all passengers would survive?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
Who'll save Air Force One, why, Harrison Ford, of course!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You were asking who was on it and if you could be guaranteed all would perish...... How else is that to be taken? Maybe worded wrong I suppose. Maybe I would have asked if I was guarenteed all passengers would survive?

I admit, I don't agree with The President politically. However, that does not mean I would like him to "perish". And, I forgot that any plane carrying The President is "Air Force One" But, I digress. This has gone far enough off topic.

Speaking of which, the plane in question would not be Air Force One. So, the title is somewhat misleading. I think the plane should be restored and donated to a national museum. I would suggest the Smithsonian, but I'm not sure if it would fall under any of their exhibits. As a matter of fact, I can not recall any museum that would fit into. Perhaps one that has a WWII exhibit?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 08:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Who'll save Air Force One, why, Harrison Ford, of course!

Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
I think they would be able to hold it in the Dulles Smithsonian Hanger. That place is pretty massive. And you are right there, "Air Force One" is just a call sign. never understood why they use that. it wouldn't always be an Air Force plane. I believe and I could very wrong, but any fixed wing he is on would be given "Air Force One" and any Helo would be "Marine One". I thought I heard that somewhere... It would be nice to see that plane preserved though....
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 03:43 PM UTC
Wright Patterson already has an old Air Force One. And they've got room and a budget.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC
Actually, the AF Museum at W-P has a number of presidential related planes. Here's a link to their exhibits:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/exhibits/presidential/index.asp

Unfortunately, as stated on the website, the Presidential and Experimental hangers are currently closed due to the sequestration cuts.
 _GOTOTOP