_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
masking products?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
What do you find to be the best masking product? I need it to be thin enough to mask fine details on figures and hopefully come off easy and not harden within a day. Hope I am not asking for too much
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you find to be the best masking product? I need it to be thin enough to mask fine details on figures and hopefully come off easy and not harden within a day. Hope I am not asking for too much

Lots of answers to this question. I guess the single biggest factor, at least for me, is what kind of paint are you masking over. If it's well-cured enamels and acrylics, I use blue 3M painters tape. If it's metallizers, I like 3M post-it notes. When masking canopies, I again use the blue painters tape.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC
I have had some success with artist's liquid masking material. It stayed flexible well over 24 hours( a long, long time over 24 hours). I have also used tape, etc. I believe it really depends on what you are trying to mask. There is no single material that will work for all occasions.
capnjock
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
Anyone else seen the TV commercials for the new Glad "Press and Seal" wrap. I think I am going to buy a roll and see how it works.

Shaun
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 06:37 AM UTC
I've used various types of tape and liquid masking. The best tape is that medical paper tape. It has a low tack and you can leave it on for a while.
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 08:44 AM UTC
is the gunze masking solution any good?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lots of answers to this question. I guess the single biggest factor, at least for me, is what kind of paint are you masking over. If it's well-cured enamels and acrylics, I use blue 3M painters tape. If it's metallizers, I like 3M post-it notes. When masking canopies, I again use the blue painters tape.

Definitely with TC on this one. 3M Blue Mask ' Painters Tape' has always been my 1st choic. It is "full-proof ' if used according to instruction, which means it won't lift your paint, alongs you have let the finish dry and cure properly.

If your going to have many twist's and turns, then I'd go with a liquid mask. I use Micro-Scales ' Micro Mask.' I've also heard, but havent' tried it yet, that SILLY PUTTY or soft clay returns excellent results for masking

IMPORTANT: . Just don't use a water-based paint over Micro Mask because it is water soluble, so use solvent-based paints.

- ralph
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC
I like the "silly putty" idea...i'll some times use good ol' rubber cement.

glack
 _GOTOTOP