Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I May Have a Problem
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
So, after a hard day of building, I brew 10 strong cups of coffee at 8pm. I make sure I have a full pack of smokes. I do this just because I am waiting to get back to the build. I'll go two or three days, without sleep. I put in something like 18 hours a day. I spend 90% of my money on this hobby. If I am away from my bench for more that 3 days, I start going through withdrawal(i.e. shaky hands, constant thoughts of exactly what I would do when I returned...).
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 07:51 AM UTC
that sounds serious....

well I have some kind of OCD where i must get my stash to zero, I check it every day and I made a planning in Excel with a precise date every kit should be finished
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 11:31 AM UTC
I use Excel to plan my model buying. Large projects get their own page and then I have a general wants list.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 - 09:08 PM UTC
well I don't think that is extraordinairy. The question if behaviour is bad is I think if it starts to interfere too much with your normal life. If you stop taking showers and you eat only pizza ever day, if you only go out to go to the LHS, well then you might re-think the time you spend on your hobby.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

If it works for you then what's to worry. It may not work for others, but it would be a bland world if we were all the same. I think we all daydream about what projects we want to do next, or in the future. I am sure other hobbyists are the same, I know my wargaming chums live in a different dimension, never mind world, so enjoy your marathon sessions if that gives you fulfilment and contentment - can't ask for more than that.

All the best,

Paul
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well I don't think that is extraordinairy. The question if behaviour is bad is I think if it starts to interfere too much with your normal life. If you stop taking showers and you eat only pizza ever day, if you only go out to go to the LHS, well then you might re-think the time you spend on your hobby.

I'm not THAT bad. lol I take showers and don't think I could do pizza, every day. I have a condition that is alleviated by building. Or so my doctor says. So, it doesn't affect my day to day life.

After a few days, I take a ten hour "nap". My cat thinks that a normal part of life.

mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 05:45 AM UTC
well then it seems the only problem you have is finding space for all those finished projects I wish I could build as much as you, so I could finish my stash
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
In life there are 2 types of addictions:
negative additions and positive addictions.

This sounds like a case of POSITIVE addiction,
so don't worry about it and keep enjoying this
wonderful hobby!

Cheers,
Joe
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
Not OCD; just anal rententive...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just because I paint parts that can't be seen, doesn't make me anal retentive. No, it is the fact that I paint exactly how it was done. Oxide red. Followed by German grey. Followed by camouflage. I even make sure to paint only what would have been painted.
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 12:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just because I paint parts that can't be seen, doesn't make me anal retentive. No, it is the fact that I paint exactly how it was done. Oxide red. Followed by German grey. Followed by camouflage. I even make sure to paint only what would have been painted.

it's not a detrimental hobby/addiction but you have to, seriously have to, make sure you have control over it. Because if you don't control it, ipso facto it controls you.

Addiction is likely the wrong term anyway. It could be a place of retreat for you, a fortress of solitude if you like. That's a behaviour that can evolve into agoraphobia, or similar shut-in states of affairs.

Matt regardless of what a habit is you need to have dominion over it and yourself. And that means you need to challenge it.

I'd rather not go into it but I'm speaking from experience here. You need to push back, if for no other reason than to gauge where you stand with it. A runaway train only gets that way by rolling too long without brakes appled.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 10:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

it's not a detrimental hobby/addiction but you have to, seriously have to, make sure you have control over it. Because if you don't control it, ipso facto it controls you.

Addiction is likely the wrong term anyway. It could be a place of retreat for you, a fortress of solitude if you like. That's a behaviour that can evolve into agoraphobia, or similar shut-in states of affairs.

Matt regardless of what a habit is you need to have dominion over it and yourself. And that means you need to challenge it.

I'd rather not go into it but I'm speaking from experience here. You need to push back, if for no other reason than to gauge where you stand with it. A runaway train only gets that way by rolling too long without brakes appled.

I have a fix. My model budget was just cut by $60 a month.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2013 - 02:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just because I paint parts that can't be seen, doesn't make me anal retentive.

I'm glad I'm not the only one LOL.

cheers
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Doh !,Sounds like you work for the same company i do ! (wages cut)
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Doh !,Sounds like you work for the same company i do ! (wages cut)

Obama Care did me in.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 03:06 AM UTC
I have been sent to the building table on Doctor's orders... I can say I buy modeling stuff for medicinal reasons!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2013 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been sent to the building table on Doctor's orders... I can say I buy modeling stuff for medicinal reasons!

My psychiatrist says the same. It's therapeutic.