_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Art or hobby?
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Now I'm no artist so maybe this statement is way off the mark, but I think what we all do here is an artform.
I look at all the fantastic and creative work people on this site do in amazement. For instance; Gray Wolf's conversion of figures to Dutch resistance and Envars Yugo sniper diorama really push this pastime into another realm. Take a look at MongoMels or AJs busts and Animal's and Roo's trucks, I say art.
What do you say?
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
I'd absolutely agree with you. I would say that we are all lucky to have a hobby that produces art, our canvas just happens to be plastic and resin.....
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hi. I think it just depends on how one looks at it. After all, the many different items made by the Native American people that a lot of modern Americans today consider art-forms, and thusly pay big money to own, was looked at by the 'people' as just day-to-day items used in their life. Made simply to give honor to their religious ceremonies or to spruce up their daily tools and clothing, and that was all.

But like you say Porckchop, there are many models and dioramas that I'ven seen here and on other sites that I would consider an 'art form' if anything in the modeling world would be considered as such. They are nothing short of totally amazing. Plus the research that goes along with the building of these kits, also adds to the pleasure as well.

But from a purely personal stand point I consider what I do in this hobby as just a hobby. It's for my pleasure and mental benefit that I am doing something that satisfys me, that helps give some kind of meaning to my life, and that is what counts on this end for me.

Take care, sgirty
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
Both. You can paint landscapes with water colors as a hobby and produce some nice pictures, but does that necessarily make you an artist like Picasso or just a painter? Same with music, you may strum the guitar to relax on a weekend but that won't mean you're an artist like Carlos Santana, just another guitar player.

I think it depends on your skill or gift. Me, I'm just another modeler.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
I think it's a hobby that can produce works of art. I think that is the hardest thing for non modelers to except. To so many people it's just a hobby, and a rather silly one at that. "Playing with toy soldiers again?" When somebody puts the time, effort, and God given skill into the hobby then they can produce works of art as fine any amateur. I'm not saying that we're all Van Goughs here but some of us are certainly up there with gifted amateurs like Churchil and his painting. BTW, I DON'T put myself in this category. Like Sabot, I'm "Just another modeler."
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But from a purely personal stand point I consider what I do in this hobby as just a hobby. It's for my pleasure and mental benefit that I am doing something that satisfys me, that helps give some kind of meaning to my life, and that is what counts on this end for me.

I dont think I could say this any better!
Every modeller probably has their own view on how their work is portrayed. Nothing wrong with either! When I see some of this "modern art" with a few splashes of colour..... I feel I need a definition of the word art.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:32 PM UTC
It can be both, or neither. The guy who produces pedestrian paint jobs to sell on e-bay is neither hobbyist nor artist. The guy who pours his heart and soul into assembling and painting a model in his spare time is both artist and hobbyinst. I see it as being similar to the argument of jogger vs. runner. The person who sees himself as artist, even a spare-time- working- in- the- cellar one, is an artist, regardless of the quality of his product. From what I've seen of the pride everyone here takes is his/her work, you are all artists. (And when I've offered criticism, I hope it's been taken as being wholly supportive and encouraging, as it has always been intended.)
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
When you draw a charcoal sketch, or oil painting, of a real subject, - ie figure, landscape, still life, you are creating a two dimensional representation of that subject. When you create a scale model you are making a three dimensional representation of the subject. Therefore both are art.

This is perhaps most apparent when a model is weathered. Whereas a museum model or architectural model only serves the purpose of a three dimensional working drawing, a weathered model is the modellers attempt to portray the subject as he/she perceives it. This is surely art.

Regards Dave
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:14 PM UTC
All one has to do is visit a show like mastercon or similiar. There is so much exuisite work there that it does reach the plain of true art. Many of the people that enter also happen to be creators in other areas of life. I only know that if I were to finish a piece that happened to place in a venue like that I would die happy!. So I guess I consider myself somewhere between a modeler and an artist. In the meantime ARMOR ROCKS!
capnjock
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
i think it depends on who's doing it.. not to be offensive to some but i think the ones who pay great attention to the detail and weathering.. it's and artform. for those who build and just paint it's a hobby.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 04:34 PM UTC
Great subject!

I know modelers who are truly artists. Unfortunately, I don't stand a candle.

In my not-so-humble opinion, there are really three kinds of modelers: Assemblers, modelers, and artists.

Assemblers pretty much take it out of the box -- don't do much research, complain about the lame instruction sheet, etc., try to crank out models as fast as they are released.

REAL modelers try to improve a kit, with scratch or aftermarket, to make it more closely resemble reference photos and descriptions (this is where I try to place myself). Points gained for scratch over AM stuff.

Artists -- well, they somehow do WAY more than mortal modelers do -- unbeliveable scratch-building, weatherring that is super-realistic, figures that almost breathe ... awesome stuff.

Bottom line: Assembling is craft/hobby, REAL modeling is at least borderline art -- at least they are all unique, which is an important ingredient to art.

Yow, Nate, you're making me use my brain ...
jw73
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie, Poland
entire network: 148 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:20 PM UTC
It is art and hobby.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:27 PM UTC
Modeling is both an art and a hobby just like painting. You paint not just for money but how it would amaze others. It is a hobby because you don't live for it.
newtothegame
Visit this Community
entire network: 588 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
I haven't done that many, but right now I would call myself a hobbyist. I try my best to be a modeler rather than assembler (I like Hollowpoint's descriptions), but when it comes to the next level of artist, I feel I fall short. I believe the artist part comes out in the parts where no directions are followed and you are able to create amazingly realistic representations just because you KNOW how to make it look that way. I am still hit and miss.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
By definition:

Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature.

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.
The study of these activities.
The product of these activities; human works of beauty considered as a group.
High quality of conception or execution, as found in works of beauty; aesthetic value.
A field or category of art, such as music, ballet, or literature.
A nonscientific branch of learning; one of the liberal arts.

A system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities: the art of building.
A trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods: the art of the lexicographer.

Skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation: the art of the baker; the blacksmith's art.
Skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties: “Self-criticism is an art not many are qualified to practice” (Joyce Carol Oates).

It's both, hobby and art. I agree with most here, although I tend to disagree that a person has to achieve a high level of skill for it to be called art. Many of the works of the worlds most famous painters I find to be pretty darn ugly. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
I personally have a great respect for art, so I will never describe one of my models as a "piece of art" but often I see models that really are "piece of art"!
So to answer the question "Can be models considered as a form/sort of art"? I'd say: absolutely yes (but mine).
Ciao
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
art or hobby? ever thought it is a lifestyle Nate?
military modelers watch TV or read daily news more than other people to find photos or articles about recent weapons, armor,aircraft or diorama ideas. they read and know more about history to make their models realistic.they like to share knowledge, experience and models (some models :-) ) they have great imaginations.they have knowledge about colors, glues and lots of extra materials to make dioramas. they have great hand skills and so so...
I believe Military modelling can be a lifestyle when you put it in the right place in your life. Art is NOT to put modelling before Family, work, school or some other responsibilities. I wish I could explain it well
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
For me, it's a hobby. because I am not very good at it, but it relaxes me. Even when it frustrates me, it distracts me from my business thoughts. I am not artistic, but I am creative, so now we have a third category. Is it a hobby, art, or creativity?

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
 _GOTOTOP