Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Margaret Thatcher Dies Aged 87
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
So sad to announce today the death of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher,of a sudden stroke aged 87.
This "Iron Lady" for me was probably the best British Prime Minister since Winston Churchill.I grew up in the 80`s and for me she was a leading figure in many things at that time,her fortitude in her beliefs for me was truly inspirational and I,for one,will miss her deeply.
Rest In Peace dear lady.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 06:51 AM UTC
I have to admit Danny that I agree with you in that when her mind was set that was it, she would make mincemeat of our current choices.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 11:26 AM UTC
Yeah she was a real inspiration.
Im sure the working class families of 1980s UK and Ireland remember what she truley was like. Wont go into details for obvious reasons but withdrawing milk fromn school kids in such a tough time is still hard to fathom. Calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist, supporting Pol Pot/Khmer Rouge and dictator Pinochet, etc, etc etc also come to mind.
This announcement doesn´t read the same for everybody.
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
I enjoy the heck out of not living in the UK anymore. It is a stifling place wrought with CCTV and the fantastical prospect of free council housing for no reason. And that is despite of Thatcher in the eighties. I can't imagine what it would be like today if the alternative had won elections.
The medicine is harsh but the patient requires it...

Now more than ever in my opinion.
McKeever
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 246 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 08:47 AM UTC
withdrawing milk fromn school kids in such a tough time is still hard to fathom.

One of Adam Carolla's staple rants--it is not the schools job to provide lunches to kids; it is the parents job. And if a parent cannot provide the bare minimum, that parent out not be parenting in the first place.
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 02:53 PM UTC
I have to concur. I don't believe it was ever common practise for schools in Canada to give out food for fun. When I talk about school lunches I get "school whats???" from young and old.

Entire nations seemed to subsist without the HM Government's milk in schools it appears.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 12:30 AM UTC
Fairly hard to think of anything more utterly irrelevant to the subject of this website, especially when there is a considerable amount of coverage elsewhere...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Fairly hard to think of anything more utterly irrelevant to the subject of this website, especially when there is a considerable amount of coverage elsewhere...

Probably why it is in the "Spare Parts" forum.
I only heard and saw good things come from her term.
Kharkov
entire network: 181 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah she was a real inspiration.
I'm sure the working class families of 1980s UK and Ireland remember what she truly was like. Wont go into details for obvious reasons but withdrawing milk from school kids in such a tough time is still hard to fathom. Calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist, supporting Pol Pot/Khmer Rouge and dictator Pinochet, etc, etc etc also come to mind.

This announcement doesn´t read the same for everybody.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Probably why it is in the "Spare Parts" forum.

Hi there

It's also why it's wise to keep politics out of the "Spare Parts" forum. I'm just hoping no-one gets hurt tomorrow...

All the best

Rowan
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 12:59 PM UTC
It is interesting to note that all the people eulogising the woman come from the southern part of the country. We in the Midlands, who lost our steel, coal, glassmaking and pottery industries (and no they weren't 'dead duck' industries as the puerile politicians have been asserting), or those in the North who lost their coal, weaving, shipbuilding, steelmaking industries and saw the results of over 3 (nearer 6) million unemployed have a different take on her 'legacy'.