_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Models in the garage?
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC
So I am wondering if I am harming my models keeping them boxed in my garage. Admittedly the garage has been turned into my home office/escape from the family so I do spend time out there, when it gets too cold I just turn on my little space heater.

The garage does have insulated doors and I live in Seattle so it never gets insanely cold, but there are mornings where it feels like it's in the 50's or possibly lower.

Am I causing any warpage/damage to my unfinished models boxed or unboxed?

Thanks,

Marty
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:43 AM UTC
I think the only damage (unless the cold and the warmth in your garage are not extreme) you can have is to the boxes themselves only if the humidity is high. The kits themselves should be safe...
Ciao
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
You might want to pull the decals out of the boxes. The temp and humidity changes in the garage might play havoc with them. It does rain every once in a while in Seattle from what I understand.

Shaun
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:24 AM UTC
Put the decal sheets in ziplocks in the appropriate box
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
i used to work in the garage and for me the boxes just got misshapen the mdels stayed fine but stor your tools some where dry and stuff all of my got rusted and i had to get a new x-acto blade like every two days!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
I keep my models in my conservatory, this summer it was up in the hundred degree mark and no harm done.
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC
Excellent, thanks guys, one last question.... If the box is still sealed, would I still benefit from opening it up and putting my decals in another zip-loc bag or should they be ok?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
My workbench is in the garage and all my stuff is out there - no problems for the last 5 years. Glue runs slower during the winter though.

If the seal is 100% on the box I wouldn't open it - look closely - some manufacturers have little 'tear' holes so it isn't a 100% seal or there is a small tear where it's been crimped together.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 09:46 AM UTC
Hi. I do most all my model work out in the garage and so far everything does okay. I think it's sound advice, as most of the other posters have said, to put your decals from all your boxes into a zip-lock bag, Just to be on the safe side of things, whether you are currently building the model or just storing it out there for the time being.

Now I paint almost exclsively with Polly S paints so I bring them, and all my other paints and primers inside during the cold months here. It doesn't get actually cold enough in the garage to actually freeze anything, but I don't think the cold does the paints any good.
During cold weather if I get deserpate and need to paint, I take my paint and model out in the garage, paint, and then bring them both back inside before they get too cold.

Like your comment, slodder, about the glue coming out slower during the cold months. Ha! This I have noticed on more than one occasion! The guy who built this house has a ventless gas heater out in the garage, but I never have used it, first, even though the garage has insulated doors on it, it's still not quite insulated enough for me to run this heater, cost effectively, and two, ventless or no, I still don't trust it, what with fumes off the paint and all. Better to be safe than sorry.

Take care, sgirty
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
Better in the garage than in the "doghouse".
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Sgirty,
Better safe than in Orbit!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:44 PM UTC
I've kept my models in an unheated, uninsulated garage for years with no problems. I do, like many suggest, put my decals in a zip-baggie as soon as I get a new kit. I'm lucky to have my building area in the house -- a corner of the bedroom with a view of the television (and waiting for one of my kids to move out so I can take over a bedroom!!).

As for tools rusting in the humidity -- I suggest a light coating of WD-40 or some other light oil about once a month. Even mineral oil will work. Of course, oil and paint jobs don't mix, so it's best to VERY lightly oil things, or your hands might be leaving traces on your kits.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 12:52 PM UTC
Where in the household is the conservatory? All I know is don't bring any candlesticks or Col. Mustard with you.....
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
Also working in my garage area , i believe humidity and extreme changes of temp will affect badly the decals. Also i use WD-66 to prevent my metal tools from rusting, especially the big ones that i dont use every day . Once years ago that there was snow and very big temperatures i had noticed some cracks in the putty filled seams of two models and i believe that were made due to the "cold from outside and heat when i was in" difference , but nothing dramatically . To the unbuilt kits if the boxes are sealed i never had problems even i a left the decals in, if you take the wrapping off the paper of the box and the decals also are affected so ..take care
bf443
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 895 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:04 PM UTC
My biggest concern is the sturdiness of the boxes being stacked on top of each other. Some boxes are very weak and with constant pressure over time I think it could sure warp something. Shelving can solve the problem in most instances I believe.
 _GOTOTOP