_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
how does it take u to build a tank or plane
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 05:47 AM UTC
hi guys. how long does it take you guys to build a tank kit or plane kit.
it takes me about 2 or 3 weeks to build a tank.
and about the same time to build a plane,
so what is the longest time it takes some of u
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
It varies for me. Sometimes I'll "slam" one and have it most of the way finished in a weekend. Then I have what I call the "perpetual projects." Those are the tanks with the Aber PE sets and the Fruil tracks that are always in various states of completion. Last, there is the shelf of "unwanted toys," those kits I started and I know I will never finish.
I guess on the average about 2-3 weeks for me.

Shaun #:-) #:-)
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
For me it pretty much depends on the perplexity or complextidity of the project. BUT genearly as long as I do not run into any major problems or delays. And the project is not too large. I can pretty much finish one in roughly 20 to 30 hours. i.e. Two to Three days. MAYBE as many as 5 days. But mostly no longer than that.
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
I take forever!

Chieftain with its resin conversion and scratchbuild parts took me 6 months and about 250 hours. The Centurion took about 150 hours.

I am currently four weeks and about 30 hours into a Tamiya Gloster Meteor and have so far got about half way through detailing the cockpit, rebuilding the noseleg, and converting the Wellands to Derwents. Once the scratchbuilding of details is finished I would imagine things will speed up a bit, but anticipate around 100 hours for the final article.

Given the high price of kits I have to make them last to get my moneys worth.

Regards Dave :-)
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
My projects usually run between 20-30hrs. as well, for armor, planes, and ships. However, that may be spread out over a couple of weeks, as I usually have several projects running at the same time, and a life that keeps intruding into my modeling time.

Mike
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC
Some of you folks build too seriously for my taste. i.e. I dont have the patence to go all out with P.E and Resin replacements. Perhaps one day I will try it on A Project. But not everyone I build. As is I do good to include small wiring i.e. Handholds (tanks) or for landing gear wiring on planes. BUT that is pretty much it. Maybe thats amatuerish to some of you. But it's about all I am able to work with. Of course I use guitar string for antannaes and such.. And I try to do other small things that add a little dash to my models. BUT like I said. No where near as drastic as some of you folks. BTW I'm not being critical, It's just an observation.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:02 AM UTC
I'm just about done with my Sdkfz 251/C from Tamiya that I started for the Barbarosa campaign. It's one week shy of five months. Of course, if you look at the actual hours worked I'm probably not more than 15 to 20 hours invested in it. I model when I can, and as the mood strikes me. I'm sure I could have completed this one a long time ago if I worked at it steady.
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:39 AM UTC
it differson the amount of AM i put into it and the amount of devotion i have for the said model. if it's a kit i really enjoy and one that goes together great it make only take a week or two but if it's one with a ton o sink marks and ejector marks it'll take me longer.. also depends on the mood i'm in.

but i haver to ask you guys.. is a kit ever 'finished'?
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi All
Since the T.V. in my room broke, it took me roughly 3 months to finish my last project, Tamiya's P47D Bubbletop. Normally I would watch some T.V. as I build. But now I have to watch in another room, so I don't work on my kits as long as I would like to. Now the P47D went together pretty easy. An armor subject with Aber PE & AM tracks could take even longer. Should replace my T.V. soon so things should speed up again.
Happy Modeling!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some of you folks build too seriously for my taste. i.e. I dont have the patence to go all out with P.E and Resin replacements. Perhaps one day I will try it on A Project. But not everyone I build. As is I do good to include small wiring i.e. Handholds (tanks) or for landing gear wiring on planes. BUT that is pretty much it. Maybe thats amatuerish to some of you. But it's about all I am able to work with. Of course I use guitar string for antannaes and such.. And I try to do other small things that add a little dash to my models. BUT like I said. No where near as drastic as some of you folks. BTW I'm not being critical, It's just an observation.

Don't ever feel you HAVE to build as elaborately as some. The level of YOUR involvement and enjoyment are what's important. None of us should begrudge another for spending too much OR too little time on a model. We should be striving, first and foremost, to wring the maximum amount of pleasure from every project we do.
Sidney
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
hmmm...

it took 18 months to finish my Bf-110...
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
Usually takes me about 1 month to a month and a half for a kit, but once I get going, im like an assembly taking a little less time with each, 1 kit after the other, usually no more than 3 kits. Than stop for a month or so, and back into.
PZKFWIII
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
Depends, an OOB armor kit with rubber bandy tracks about a week or two. With indy links about double that. (I hate cleaning those things). Painting and finishing depends as well. The work schedule definitely changes the pace too. If I am working second shifts it usually goes faster, (I like modeling in the morning with the coffee)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC
about 2 months for me Ijust dally from one to another and get up to other things still havent finished my t-34 from the summer! who cares as long as you enjoy it
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:18 AM UTC
3 weeks,unless it is huge and complex (Leopold). (++)
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:28 AM UTC
Typically, with research and all about 3 months for an aircraft, for armor a lttle less ,I've one dio took me 3 years to complete. Mind you I build mostly in 1/72 scale.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Can be anything from 1 week to 2 months. All depends on the model and my mood. Often I have started a vehicle and finished it completely by the next week. Others have lay for 1 year. Im trying to avoid this if possible. I hate going back to finish old projects as I start seeing things i should have fixed. Better to finish now and move on and improve each time. Another thing that slows me down is i like to have at least one figure with each model. And some ground work as well if possible. Anything that does not have ground work is destined for a dio some day???
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
depends on some factors like work,wife and kids,mood but it usually takes from 2 weeks to 2 months.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 11:51 AM UTC
It depends on many things, quantity of job in the office, if my wife has things to do or not, if my daughter and son require me to help with the highschool (I hate that) , nowdays a kit is taking me between one or two months. It also depends on the difficulty of the kit.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:00 PM UTC
Well, as said above, it depends on the complex of the project and how much work are you willing to put on it.
For me, as I´m focused on tanks and military vehicles, I spend a lot (I mean really lot!) time on them, usually 3 to 4 months.
But, on the other hand, I build my 1/72 scale warbirs in 1 to 2 weeks....
Cheers
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:11 PM UTC
It takes about a month for me. Or sometimes a little more, it depends on how detailed the
aircraft or armor is.

~Chip :-)
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:42 PM UTC
I can't really put a time frame on the kit builds as I usually have a half dozen armor models at some stage of completion. Then the distractions set in. How does the Alan Pz11,D 76.2 mm gun compare to the Tamiya Marder 111 76.2mm gun? The answer is no comparison!

Then there's the babysitting, a 2 year old and a 5 year old, 5 days a week! Plus I only have one hand that obeys me, so i work slower than most..

Now, if they would just leave me alone for a couple weeks, I could probably finish up my current projects!

Did I mention that I don't work? You would think I'd have plenty of time to work on my models!
newtothegame
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 588 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC
I've only done a few, but I get so excited about doing it that it goes pretty quickly - 3 weeks, with about 1/3 of that time fretting over and trying to correct the mistakes I make.
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 09:43 PM UTC
AJLaFleche I think sums this up and as I have said before - BUILD FOR YOURSELF! I have been back into armor modelling for nearly 2 years now (grief! where has that time gone..) and as yet I have started 3 kits and have not yet finished one of them. Like many other people who hang out here I have a family and a busy job and so at times the modelling gets pushed to one side - but what the heck, I enjoy the fun of what I do so who cares!

Lee
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 10:58 PM UTC
I probably average about a month per kit. A hour here, half hour there. I don't put any time restrictions on my builds. I work on them when I can.

HastyP
 _GOTOTOP