Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Bangers and Mash help
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 02:05 AM UTC
How do you properly prepare bangers? Is there a basic recipe or anything special that anyone does?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 02:59 AM UTC
Not being British, I myself, usually boil the sausage for about 20 minutes, then you can either put them in the broiler or frying pan to brown them up. I then make mashed potatoes as normal, and serve with peas.

Yummy, now I am hungry for some, wonder if it can be a breakfast food???
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 03:27 AM UTC
Grill or fry the sausages, turning often until brown and slightly crispy all the way round. Serve with mash, gravy and peas
Littorio
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 04:40 AM UTC
Boil?

Grill or Fry and sometimes but very rarely bake, serve with mash, peas, fried onions and gravy.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Boil?

Grill or Fry and sometimes but very rarely bake, serve with mash, peas, fried onions and gravy.

The boiling pre-cooks the sausage, meaning you don't have to fry or broil it as long, allows for the right amount of browning with out over cooking the outside. Also boiling will remove some of the fat, so less chance of burning the outside.

It works, try it.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 05:29 AM UTC
Russ most important thing is good quality sausages and is better served with bubble and squeak, or if you want a real treat do toad in the hole smothered in a thick onion gravy.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 07:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. The bangers the wife picked up were pre-cooked but we are searching now for better quality. We had boiled them to warm them up but they split apart. The kids really liked the treat.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 08:04 AM UTC
Hi Russ,

Do US butchers make their own sausages like they do here in the UK? There is a rich tradition over here of Butchers competing to make the best sausage. I am fortunate in having 3 butchers within a few miles of where I live who are all gold medallists and their sausages are superb. This is my favourite butcher and if you click on Picture Gallery you will see a picture of our famous 'British Bangers' all hanging up waiting to be fried/grilled (never pierce the skin, that looses out all the nice juices)...

http://www.beamansbutchers.co.uk/

For the mash you need good quality potatoes, preferably 'floury' as opposed to 'waxy' and as a real treat you can make 'mustard mash' which involves finely chopping spring onions (scallions) and adding them to the mash with a good tablespoonful (or more to your taste) of English Mustard.

The gravy is traditionally 'onion gravy' and should be nice and thick, peas are usual accompaniment. Now I am feeling very hungry and by coincidence we have some nice sausages for tea .

All the best,

Paul
DaveCox
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 08:10 AM UTC
Boiled sausages! Pre-cooked sausages!

Gentlemen, this is sacrilege!

To the tower with you!!!!!!!!! Treating the great British Banger with such disrespect...........
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 08:27 AM UTC
Baste the bangers with beer, over a char coal grill until brown or crispy. Mash, onions and peas.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Thanks again for all the replies. Paul, unfortunately we have no specialized butcher shops here, only the counter at the supermarket. Even bakeries are hard to come by now.

While on the topic, what other treats or favorites should be looking for? You can't find fish and chips here, although when we visited London last year we couldn't find it there either. Only curry shops and kebabs.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 03:45 AM UTC
Fried liver and bacon again with onion gravy
black budding
egg and bacon rolypoly
steak and kidney pudding
gypsy toast
welsh rabbit
and that is just a few.
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fried liver and bacon again with onion gravy
black budding
egg and bacon rolypoly
steak and kidney pudding
gypsy toast
welsh rabbit
and that is just a few.

Ok, you English are a little strange.....

Fried liver????? I think I would rather eat shoe leather...

What is wrong with a good old steak on the BBQ with mushrooms, baked potato, and grilled zuchini?

Actually I have tried liver, and I am not a big fan. But to each is his own.

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC
Its very good for your iron levels and if cooked just right tastes great
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks again for all the replies. Paul, unfortunately we have no specialized butcher shops here, only the counter at the supermarket. Even bakeries are hard to come by now.

While on the topic, what other treats or favorites should be looking for? You can't find fish and chips here, although when we visited London last year we couldn't find it there either. Only curry shops and kebabs.

We are just experiencing a food scare here, horsemeat and possibly worse in minced beef products in supermarkets, this has led to a upsurge in people seeking out the local butcher. This can only be a good thing as it will increase their chances of continuing the fine tradition of good meat, pies and sausages. Talking of pies have you heard of our Pork Pies? I had one today at Beaman's and it was delicious, nice crispy pastry and superb peppery pork filling.

Good fish and chip shops are getting less common as people's tastes change, but you usually can find a good one nearby, ours is about 10 minutes drive away and has lovely battered Cod and some of the best chips I have tasted. Where Beaman's is situated in Bridgnorth there is a fish and chip shop which is nationally renowned for excellent fish and chips. We hope to try some soon.

I live near what was known as 'The Black Country' and we have some singular dishes, such as Faggots and peas, grey peas and bacon and Grouty pudding. All of which are delicious and very nourishing.

Very hungry now and am about to have pizza , not very British I know.

All the best,

Paul
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fried liver????? I think I would rather eat shoe leather...

That's because you haven't had it done correctly. Liver is one of those foods which has to be cooked exactly right, or you may as well eat shoe leather.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

We are just experiencing a food scare here, horsemeat and possibly worse in minced beef products in supermarkets, this has led to a upsurge in people seeking out the local butcher. This can only be a good thing as it will increase their chances of continuing the fine tradition of good meat, pies and sausages. Talking of pies have you heard of our Pork Pies? I had one today at Beaman's and it was delicious, nice crispy pastry and superb peppery pork filling.

Good fish and chip shops are getting less common as people's tastes change, but you usually can find a good one nearby, ours is about 10 minutes drive away and has lovely battered Cod and some of the best chips I have tasted. Where Beaman's is situated in Bridgnorth there is a fish and chip shop which is nationally renowned for excellent fish and chips. We hope to try some soon.

I live near what was known as 'The Black Country' and we have some singular dishes, such as Faggots and peas, grey peas and bacon and Grouty pudding. All of which are delicious and very nourishing.

Very hungry now and am about to have pizza , not very British I know.

All the best,

Paul

Nothing wrong with a good piece of horse meat. Marinate in a soure sauce, serve with raisins, dumplings and red coal. One of the benefits of being near Belgium is that you can get proper Sauerbraten here not the cow-based stuff they sell you in other parts of germany

Best fish and chips I had was in Convy, Wales in a small shop near Tudor place back in 2005. In general britsh cuisine is better than it's reputation once you realize they don't use as much seasoning as the continentals do (Or a lot more if you count the Indian cuisine - made the error of ordering "hot" in Carrick on Shannon. MILK!)

OTOH nothing beats properly prepared pig from your a small "bio" farmer that still breeds the elder races. The type of pig that runs down a rugby player for fun and still has the wild pig instincts (thankfully NOT the teeth)
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi MBR,

I can appreciate what you say about GOOD horsemeat, but this stuff is of VERY dubious origin and there is now talk of dog, cat, rat and even primate in the mix, even Ikea have found the stuff in their meatballs. As you say, if the meat is properly sourced from reputable farmers who tend the older breeds (Gloucester Old Spot in the case of my favourite butcher) and produce an excellent product, you won't go far wrong.

I think I know the Fish and Chip shop you mention, my wife's mother came from Bangor, North Wales and we visited Conwy quite often.

Small world isn't it.

All the best,

Paul
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi MBR,

I can appreciate what you say about GOOD horsemeat, but this stuff is of VERY dubious origin and there is now talk of dog, cat, rat and even primate in the mix, even Ikea have found the stuff in their meatballs. As you say, if the meat is properly sourced from reputable farmers who tend the older breeds (Gloucester Old Spot in the case of my favourite butcher) and produce an excellent product, you won't go far wrong.

I think I know the Fish and Chip shop you mention, my wife's mother came from Bangor, North Wales and we visited Conwy quite often.

Small world isn't it.

All the best,

Paul

Yes, very small world these days .

And agreed on the horse, even more so in GB where some antibiotics-ladden animals seem to have ended up in the food. That is BAD! Germany so fas seems to be "lucky" it is just the meat but from "bred for slaughter" horses.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
Try an Ulster Fry:

Cookstown Large Pork Sausages (they HAVE to be Cookstown )
Denny Bacon Rashers
White Pudding
Black Pudding
Baked Beans
Soda Bread
Potato Bread
Eggs

You can also add a bit of fried bread, fried tomato, mushrooms and a fried pancake or some toast.

Just don't plan on being terribly active for the rest of the day!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
I have to admit Karl that nobody beats the Irish for a fried breakfast but hold the white pudding. Soda bread that has seen the frying pan after everything else has been cooked is the food of the gods.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 05:24 AM UTC
Well, I'm off to try and find a butcher. The wife is handy at bread making and I grew up on Yorkshire pudding with roast beef, so toad in the hole won't be hard to do, assuming I can get some good quality sausage to work with. Almost everything here is full of chemicals.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have to admit Karl that nobody beats the Irish for a fried breakfast but hold the white pudding. Soda bread that has seen the frying pan after everything else has been cooked is the food of the gods.

Yeah we kind of cornered the market on fried breakfasts! You should substitute the soda for some bread- fry it at the same point you would the soda- very nice stuff!
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 03:50 AM UTC
For those of us on this side of the pond, options are few but there are a few. Zenners in Portland is a great source for proper banger, trust me I sell them in our shop. The other good place out here is Ollie's in Seattle and the best fresh sausages, maybe on the entire west coast, come from Olympic provisions in Portland.

And for those of you that are culinarily challenged, NEVER boil fresh sausages and NEVER let the, crack both will result in a dry sausage in which all of the fat and flavor has run into the pan and evaporated. And please do not cook your sausages in beer, it makes your sausage crappy and your beer gets wasted.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 12:01 PM UTC
God, how did I miss a thread on sausages...?
Kevin's boiling method is interesting, one of the things I've wanted to try for a long time is this French thing of "take a boiling sausage and simmer for 20 minutes" - but what is a "boiling sausage"? It's not the same as a British banger obviously.
Then Karl's white pudding is something else I'd like to try but I've never had because you just can't buy it in SE England except probably in some very fancy butcher in somewhere like Islington...
And then there's Frankfurters - the ones you get in supermarkets here are made of mechanically recovered chicken slurry, and it makes me think that somewhere in the world, probably Germany or the USA, someone must be making a Frankfurter that you'd actually want to eat, even knowing what is in it.
Then back to French sausages - andouillettes (?) - talking of weird contents, I had one that was full of what I think was minced tripe. That was just too weird; nice for the first four mouthfuls, then it started to get a bit much.