Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Bangers and Mash help
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 12:15 PM UTC
Matt you can get white pudding in the likes of Tesco and Waitrose, I would try Waitrose first. I have no idea what makes the white of the sausage but it has fruit in it, Frying fruit must be a Scottish dish to go with the deep fried mars bars.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I'm off to try and find a butcher. The wife is handy at bread making and I grew up on Yorkshire pudding with roast beef, so toad in the hole won't be hard to do, assuming I can get some good quality sausage to work with. Almost everything here is full of chemicals.

Russ you can use pork chops in a toad in the hole if you can't get sausages.
Now another dish but not one you'll make at home unless you can somehow get the recipe, Pie, mash, jellied eels and liquor with some chilli vinegar. The pie is not your normal pie and the recipe is a well guarded secret, we even get some new pie and mash shops open sometimes that haven't got the recipe right, they close very quickly.
ludwig113
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 09:06 PM UTC
for those of you who have had your sausages split (painful!) just use a fork and punch a few holes around each sausage.

paul
ludwig113
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, I'm off to try and find a butcher. The wife is handy at bread making and I grew up on Yorkshire pudding with roast beef, so toad in the hole won't be hard to do, assuming I can get some good quality sausage to work with. Almost everything here is full of chemicals.

Russ you can use pork chops in a toad in the hole if you can't get sausages.
Now another dish but not one you'll make at home unless you can somehow get the recipe, Pie, mash, jellied eels and liquor with some chilli vinegar. The pie is not your normal pie and the recipe is a well guarded secret, we even get some new pie and mash shops open sometimes that haven't got the recipe right, they close very quickly.

i've not had pie and mash for years, there used to be a shop near vauxhall that i used to go to.

paul
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 10:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can't find fish and chips here, although when we visited London last year we couldn't find it there either. Only curry shops and kebabs.

Quoted Text

I live near what was known as 'The Black Country' and we have some singular dishes, such as Faggots and peas, grey peas and bacon and Grouty pudding. All of which are delicious and very nourishing.

Quoted Text

Nothing wrong with a good piece of horse meat. Marinate in a sour sauce, serve with raisins, dumplings and red coal. One of the benefits of being near Belgium is that you can get proper Sauerbraten here not the cow-based stuff they sell you in other parts of germany

Best fish and chips I had was in Conwy, Wales in a small shop near Tudor place back in 2005. In general britsh cuisine is better than it's reputation once you realize they don't use as much seasoning as the continentals do (Or a lot more if you count the Indian cuisine - made the error of ordering "hot" in Carrick on Shannon. MILK!)

OTOH nothing beats properly prepared pig from your a small "bio" farmer that still breeds the elder races. The type of pig that runs down a rugby player for fun and still has the wild pig instincts (thankfully NOT the teeth)

Lots to think about here, & YES GOOD British cuisine is regional, just like Germany, & YES Good Chippys are rare, & seldom found in 'tourist trap' town centres. You need to seek out those on major routes in towns, or the seaside, Key point is to look for the ones with a Queue!

Curry shops are also very British, ever since Clive of India & the days of the Raj, Look for one where the ethnic Silhet(?) & Indians eat... Taste rather than heat is my deciding factor.

I'm told you need Sheeps' liver not OX liver, but either way it's one o the few things I can't cook.

Schoen Gruesse Herr MMeier
Google Translate Kan Spass sein, ya?
Mmm, Sauerbraten mit Rot-Kohl (Red Cabbage, not coal) jetzt habe Ich Hunger!

Thuringer Bratwurst, Bautzener Zenf & 'ne Radeburger, Nu?

I am lucky in that in England we have Lidl & Aldi, for ethnic essentials like Bratwurst, Bockwurst, fleisch-salat, frikadellen, usw.,
& also Polish Delis who sometimes have Jacobs Coffee
but I go to Germany at least once a year for Bautzner zenf & Teekanne Tee! (Sage Ich, bin 3/4 sächse! )

British expats who live abroad develop cravings for Bowyers Pork sausages, Walkers crisps, HP sauce, & Marmite.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hey Matt- I didn't know white pudding was hard to get over in England- here they just sell it along with the black pudding!
raypalmer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 04:10 PM UTC
Ivd just like to point out that bangers cannot be deemed suitable without a very precise degree of blackening (burning, to the delicate american palate).

Boiling sausies? Uncivilized.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 06:08 PM UTC
In the wurst department I am lucky to live in Milwaukee. We still have at least half a dozen mom and pop sausage makers. Along with commercial manufacturers Usingers and Klemments. Johnsonville sausages is up the road 50 miles. There is also a new restaurant in the neighborhood run by some Ukranians and they have a real tasty wurst.
Low and slow is how I like to cook my sausages on the grill, usually with a "glass tool" in one hand and tongs in the other.
Get out and char some meat this weekend !
Tom
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 02:32 PM UTC
Not sure how or where you chaps all grew up but proper bangers, and for that matter all fresh sausages, should be cooked on a flat top, not over a grill and or open flame. Never let your sausages crack or burst, this actually destroys all the hard work of the sausage makers (and all of the flavor) and is considered bad form to any cook who cares about his craft. Once you take your meat off e heat let it rest on a plat, covered for 5 to 10 minutes to allow all of the juices to return to their rightful place. NEVER EVER EVER cut into a piece of meat that is still on or has just come off the heat unless you enjoy eating shoe leather,then do what you want. If you follow these steps you will always be rewarded with better than average results and hopefully some awesome food. If you boys need other cooking tips, send me a pm, alwYs happy to help. Cheers.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2013 - 11:52 AM UTC
Excellent tips and especially the one about not piercing the skin or allowing it to crack, bad form in sausage cooking for all the reasons stated. Incidentally I have just 'discovered' a new local butcher who makes championship sausages and his Pork and Leek variety are to die for.

All the best,

Paul