_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New Company Forming
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 256 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hello Jim and Fellow Modelers;
I have just recently become involved in a very new and exciting project involving
diorama architecture and roads.
I don`t know if any of you remember back in the 80`s a little company called SYNERGY
starting up, who produced a line of 1/35th scale architecture for wwII ,which even impressed Verlinden with the quality! Well, the designer of much of that line of products has spent the last 2yrs researching some very new and innovative ideas for wwII architectural
structures and roads in all scales. I have already seen one piece and was very impressed.
Was wondering if any of you modelers out there had any ideas on what you would like to see become available to you, in what scales, in what mediums resin or plaster, what you dislike about the products available to you now or likes and lastly what price range you feel
is acceptable to you as a modeler. These new ideas will not be isolated to just wwII or 1/35th scale.
This promises to be everything the modeler needs to put a diorama together in a price
range which will be acceptable to all modelers.
Look forward to your comments and ideas and if any members living in Europe could
see their way clear to possibly snap a few shots of buildings and or streets it would be very
much appreciated!
Name of company forthcomming,
and more info soon.
thanks Jim , russ
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 05:39 AM UTC
Sounds like a good venture. Good luck and if I think of anything to help you out I'll mention it.
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 05:48 AM UTC
Sounds exactly what I am looking for right now! :-) You can't buy anything yet can you?

I would like to se some cobblestone or other type of road and sidewalk sections. Some WWII 1/35 French buildings. Fences, barns, and ruined buildings. Maybe even packs of bricks or some other rubble for use in dios. But nothing is worth-while though if it's too expensive.

Mark
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks M1 and Spike;
This is exactly what we are interested in and no the prices will not be high, our
intention is to keep pricing very low! As a modeler I could never afford any of the dioramic
pieces on the market today! Just the other day a road section was observed in a sale bin, in order to place a sherman on this piece you would have to purchase 3 of them and put them together, second, the quality was really poor and third, for this one piece the price of $32.00
just floored my partners!! No, this will not be the case with this new stuff and no it`s not available yet, soon!! I`ll keep you posted, we`ve had a lot of inquires about the one piece already. What we realy want right now is more input on what people would really like to see
Thanks guys for your comments
russ
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 08:14 AM UTC
more Russian buildings and a good talk grass for the wheat fields of the Russian Stepps.
Jeff
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC
More Russian buildings are very much considered SGTReef, as for the tall grass,might be a problem but try this, check out your local sporting goods store, go to the fly fishing section
and ask about deer hair for making flies. It comes in different clours, is quite tall and is quite course.
If anyone has any wants that they would like to see to help in making a diorama no matter how oddball the idea, let us know about it, chances are they won`t be as oddball as you think. We already have a multitude of very good ideas, but modelers can never have enough ideas!
russ
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC
I'd like to see some wooden and stone fences, wooden and stone bridges (because all the ones out now are way too expensive), ruined western european buildings, sidewalk sections, road sections, roof sections, and barbed wire. All in 1/35. Can't wait until the company starts releasing stuff. Keep us posted. :-) :-) :-)

Thanks,
Mark
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 05:49 AM UTC
All your requests and wants have been duely noted and we will definately keep everyone up
to date as the company progresses.Thanks Mark, for all your input.
russ
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 05:52 AM UTC
SAS,
Some buildings/bunkers from the vietnam era would be good

Matt
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
Matt;
You mean like a sandbag dugout big enough for a M60 or 155mm gun to fit in , built with sandbags,oil drums and has a couple of hooches in it as well for ammo storage and crews!
Good Idea!
russ
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 06:18 AM UTC
That's exacty what I was thinking :-) :-) :-) :-)

Matt
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
Noted Matt!
Jim, thanks very much for the front page recognition, very nice of you! Hope everyone
gets some modeling ideas they can use from the collection. I do have some more pics coming of Vietnam stuff and Desert Storm soon. Thanks again Jim.
russ
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 10:56 AM UTC
Sounds awesome. :-) I'm glad I'm just able to help. Another suggestion is lamp posts. I'm sure you've already thought of that, but just in case. :-)

Mark
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 11:28 AM UTC
Here's a Farthing's worth of suggestions:

A) More commercial buildings, i.e., Butcher shop, Bakery, Shoe Peddler, etc. We've got enough church's.
B) Different window configurations. Doll house manufacturer's learned this a long time ago. You just 'plug' whichever window trim configuration you like into the basic hole, and viola! Same for doors. In fact, the whole Trim thing is a wide open market. Just take your basic wall and mix and match different soffits, fascias, qouines, etc.
C) Porches, stoops, walk-ups. You know, the 6 or 8 stone step w/ railings. Not all european homes were ground level...

Tread.

Oh.....since we're on the subject of diorama building. How about an easier method of simulating burned up rafter timbers. Actually setting fire to miniature balsa wood timbers is a fire hazard!

#:-)
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 08:10 PM UTC
Something that'de be great is some furniture : beds, tables, chairs... evrything that helps to represent
a place where someone has been living.
Otherwise, I'd like to see buildings from north africa and southern europe also. Ah yes, some vietnamese
also !

I've got a fiew photos from some typical houses from normandy. In the diorama postings, look for the
"photos from normandy" thread.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 09:33 PM UTC
Somethings I'd like to see are:
Parts to make a railroad bridge. I realize this could be expensive, as it would be big, but there's a dio idea I have that I feel I must do! (Jedi destiny, perhaps? )
I'll second Spike's suggestion for stone walls.
Telephone poles?
Maybe road signs.
There's a few suggestions from ol' Yoda here.

YodaMan
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 02:15 AM UTC
SAS- How about a part of a Russian Factory or trench revetment pieces for both WWI & WWII trenches with a bunker or dugout opening? I am transferring to Sicily in November and would be happy to take pictures for you. You may also try www.webshots.com for photos of cities, towns, castles etc. Theres an idea, a castle casemate or a part of Fort Duomont in Verdun France?
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, Chief, the offer of taking pics in Sicily is most generous and appreciated,and also to Penpen , if we find anything in your collection of photos may we use the information? Everyones ideas have been jotted down and I will be bringing this stuff to the attenttion of my partners. Thank you all!
Oh,BTW, the idea of mix and match Tread, we`re way ahead of you on that, good to see we`re on the same wave length!
russ
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2002 - 09:41 AM UTC
..............you'll do well, grasshopper....................
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC
Wow...this sounds great Russ....think about it hard and you'll figure out who this is....glad to see you'll be putting all that spare time you have to use on other things...between all the great pics you post of real 1/1 scale stuff on the net and all the models you build....you must have oh....like 5 minutes a day to work on this new venture.
By the way...your partners sound like a couple of great guys!!!
IN-COUNTRY
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
I totally agree with Matt, and would like to see some Vietnam stuff, such as buildings for Hue city, Saigon. Possibly some temples, and commercial buildings, shops etc. Both complete structures, and damaged.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
My two cents gears toward 'extras', fences any kind pickette, stone, split rail, outdoor furniture benches park stuff urban or rural, inside things like furniture, all kinds. Even gear it toward adding it as bombed by selling the pieces dissassembled.
Material isn't an issue.
My issue would be cost. I believe if the 'big boys' get competition then the price will take care of itself. And if its quality stuff I don't mind paying extra. On the flip side of that if there is some 'clean up' work to do on the piece I don't mind doing the work if the price is reflected.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 04:08 AM UTC
sas, I'll be very proud if you find my photos worthy of use.
This WE I'll be in Avranches, Normandy, so I'll be able to take more.

So now we're all very impatient !!!!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Great Ideas SAS.

Maybe you could do something with my parachute-quest.

Like the ideas !
Gulf11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2002 - 09:27 PM UTC
Personally I would like to see some nice European fixtures. For instance a decent iron railing, lamp posts, manhole covers, telegraph pole insulators, worn cobblestone alleyway sections, and maybe even some Iron window bars. I hate having to make this stuff!!
 _GOTOTOP