_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Specific Modeling area
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 04:44 AM UTC
Since I've gotten back into modeling a few years ago, I've built nothing but armor models except one aircraft kit. My previous modeling efforts over the last 50 years was strictly aircraft. Now I'm getting the desire to once again build an aircraft model every so often as just a chance of pace.

I"m just wondering how many of you just specialize in one specific type of military modeling, or build as the urge hits you.

Joel
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
Nope ... stick with armor. Aircraft is a slippery slide and youŽll be collecting 1/43 scale cars before you know it. Stick with armor ... armor is safe.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nope ... stick with armor. Aircraft is a slippery slide and youŽll be collecting 1/43 scale cars before you know it. Stick with armor ... armor is safe.

No matter what, 1/43 scales would be out as their price is truly insane. So far I've resisted the urge to even buy an aircraft kit, but the thought does keep on popping into my head.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 05:28 AM UTC
I build 1/48 + 1/35 armor,1/48 aircraft,and 1/350 ships.It just depends what I'm in the mood for at the time.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 05:33 AM UTC
To be honest, I've really been thinking of every once in a while building a 1/32 scale WWI aircraft. Couldn't possibly pick a tougher change of pace.

Joel
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
Strictly armor for me. I've no desire to delve into other areas.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
I'll build any subject that appeals to me, Aircraft, Armor, Ships, Subs, Figures, Sci-fi, etc., etc.. Any time period, any theater of operations. They say, "Variety is the spice of life". But, if you want to stick to one particular area of subject matter, that's fine. Al
sabre1866
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi,Joel or should that be Bye Joel?

I think you've already turned to the dark side, not only do you seem to know what
1:43 is (I don't) you know how much it costs!

Stick with armour my friend, in 1:35, it's easier to handle.

Roger.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
I've been known to build anything that sits in boxes on hobby shop shelves, but my primary interest is airliners.

Come to the light blue side. We have cookies
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,Joel or should that be Bye Joel?

I think you've already turned to the dark side, not only do you seem to know what
1:43 is (I don't) you know how much it costs!

Stick with armour my friend, in 1:35, it's easier to handle.

Roger.

Roger, Nope. Haven't returned to the dark side. If anything it would be for a short visit every so often. Armor by far is my personal favorite, but I do have other interests, namely WWI aircraft. As for knowing what 1/43 scale cars cost, back in my golden olden days, I did dabble in that scale, and it was expensive then, it's now insane.

Joel
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
All airplanes for about the last year or two.
before that trains.
I have built some tanks and ships as well.

I also like to build buildings.
currently working on an airport in 1:400

35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll build any subject that appeals to me, Aircraft, Armor, Ships, Subs, Figures, Sci-fi, etc., etc.. Any time period, any theater of operations. They say, "Variety is the spice of life". But, if you want to stick to one particular area of subject matter, that's fine. Al

I'm with Al on this one....
Mostly 1/35 modern armour but will do planes & helis in 1/32, ships in 1/350, WWII torpedo boats & subs in 1/72 and sci-fi in any scale. And Airfix new range have got me on 1/48 now...
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hey Joel, my rule of thumb, whatever grabs my attention. I like to scratch build allot of vignette eye candy. So if I'm touring the LHS and I see something that floats my boat, before I'm even at the register I'm thinking what can I scratch build for the supporting elements of the story. When I p/u Revells 1/72nd Gato sub I was thinking, docked; warf with vehicles, buildings, figures,equipment etc. At sea; Kingfisher float plane or P.T. boat, aviator in raft. Ocean type, rough sea or still surface. So what ever appeals to me and what challenge I'll face to scratch build the parts to tell the story. Mostly I build 1/35th scale figure vignettes but will build almost anything. On the bench is the new version robot from lost in space, not as it came, but changed around for a futuristic combat engineer vehicle in 1/35th.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:08 AM UTC
I have a few ventures into ships and wingy things adorning my wall. I'll build about six armor kits to one venture outside, just to shake things up. I have Tamiya's 1:350 Missouri partly assembled and painted as part of my "mothball" fleet.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
Interesting results so far. Seems that there is the contingent of builders that are interested in just one media. I would assume that their interests goes way past just modeling. Then there are those that are model builders 1st,and enjoy a varied subject matter.

I seem to fall somewhere in between. Armor just fascinates me both from the historical perspective, and from the modeling/weathering aspect. I've been a aircraft and race car modeler for years on end up to when I 1st retired from modeling back in the early 80's. Back then I never built any armor, nor even thought about WWI aircraft.

When I came back into modeling, it was as an aircraft modeler, but quickly tired of the same old WWII planes, and got involved with building and learning about US Army armor. The fascination of WWI aircraft has been something that I have had a interest in from a historical perspective for many years (especially since my brother is a pilot). After I saw some Wing Nut Kits, I was just blown away at how much detail a Box Stock kit could actually contain. Still haven't bought one, but the urge is getting stronger and stronger. At most, it would be just one or two kits per year. The rest of my time would be strictly US Armor.

One really great thing about the Kit Maker Network modeling site, is that it's comprised of several forums for different types of modeling, so that one can go from one to another, and still feel that sense of "family", rather then joing a completely new forum, where you know no one, and they don't know you.

Joel
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
I build pretty much everything, armor, planes, figures, dioramas, ships and cars.
I have certain subjects that I really like. Tigers and RSO's in armor, F-4 Phantoms and P-47's in aircraft.
I enjoy it all.
Mike
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 02:40 AM UTC
I pretty much, like some others here, build whatever grabs my interest. Okay, more of it is 'buys whatever' since I only get about 4-5 kits done in a year. Although I do assemble something from more than that. I do much better finishing the armour though!

I have kits in my stash of armor and aircraft mostly, but quite a few ships and some race cars (mostly 1/24 F1 and WRC type things). I recently have been buying some Sci-Fi, like USS Enterprise and some UFOs... Also been eye-ing a couple 'steampunk' resin kits, but have not bought any yet...

John
usethermite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 252 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi, Joel. Right now I'm building 1950's US jets. I have been known to build a motorcycle or two- mostly to give to my friends who ride. Never been lured over to do tready thingys. And to echo Jessica: we not only have cookies, but hot coco- with marshmellows! All the best.
Happy Gluing, JT
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
I just recently got back into modelling as well, and I'm beginning to build mostly 1/35 stuff (armor and wheeled vehicles from WWII and current era), but I have a few 1/48 aircraft as well that I'm working on as well.

I work on one kit for a few days, then put it all away and work on another one so I don't get burned out on one particular kit and refuse to look at it anymore. Also gets me thinking about what type of vignette/diorama to make for my various kits I have in process.
oldtimer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
Like a lot of modellers I was brought up on Airfix and Revell in the late 60's and 70's. No PE no after market products, weathering or washes, just glue and paint.

Aircraft , afv's, battleships, lunar modules everything were fair game. Its the art of trying to depict in miniature an event or particular subject to the best of your ability.

For just a few hours or even minutes we can all loose ourselves at our workbenches and endeavor to produce a miniature work of art. thats the beauty of our hobby.

Personally I tend to model whatever I am reading about at the time.

Just to open this discussion up a little further how many of you have more than one project on the go at the same time. Is your work bench stuffed with half completed projects from your stash or are you like me one project at a time. Slow but sure.

i look forward to hearing your comments.

Cheers
Martin
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 09:19 AM UTC
To be honest, I'm addicted to Dragon's Panzer IIIs and IVs. I just need a break from them time to time.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC
Martin, I guess you can really call me old school. 90+% of the time I only have one model on my workbench at anyone time. But the thought has crossed my mind to have one aircraft kit going over a long period of time that I can work on during lulls in a armor build.
Joel
oldtimer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
I can go with that.
I very often have figures on the go whilst building an aircraft or tank, as you say its useful whilst the other is drying or waiting for the glue to harden.

Cheers
martin
oldtimer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:15 AM UTC
But only one major project at a time.
Currently got as T34 on the go as i am reading about the fall of Germany in 1945.
But I have got some Pyro models of those magnificent men in their flying machines which are a blast from the past but I am thinking of starting.

Cheers
martin
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Martin,

I tend to have a couple things or better going at the same time. I often have to travel for work so that is another reason, because I can take something that is not started and work in the hotel on it. I don't have to worry about breaking something as much when just starting!

I currently have 2 things I am actively working on, 1 is in the paint stage (my M2A1 for the halftrack campaign) and a Italeri Tiger (P) just doing glue and such so far.

John
 _GOTOTOP