_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Specific Modeling area
oldtimer
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi John,
I think i could go with you on having two projects on the go as you can alternate between the two. but any more than that leaves me in a bit of a whir and an untidy work bench!!!

I am sure we are all perfectionists and we all strive to do our best with each model we make.

So to open Joels forum up even further what do we get out of modeling?

love to hear all your thoughts.

Martin
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 11,666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:10 AM UTC
Not really an easy question to answer, but I'll give it a shot.
It allows me to create miniature replicas in a 3D form of historical and/or present military equipment, which I have an interest in. Those interests were derived from reading books, magazines, watching tv, and movies, both on the equipment and those conflicts which caused the need for their creation.

Modeling is a acquired skill, not an artistic gift that I haven't the slightest measure of. It's a relaxing and enjoyable way to spend a few hours per modeling session. And with the finishing of each project, a sense of accomplishment and pride are my rewards which I can share with family and friends.

With the growth of the internet, and sites like Kit Maker Network, I've learned a great deal, made a few friends, and get to share my projects and ideas with other members.
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2012 - 01:40 PM UTC
Martin and Joel,

I agree, tough question to answer. As a kid, I think it was that I moved around alot and never had loads of friends that I was able to do something by myself and make 'something'. I mean I did planes, ships, tanks, cars, whatever.

I have always been interested in the historical stuff around the wars and it is 'usually' enjoyable to sit, sand and glue. Like Joel said, I might read about Normandy and want to do a Sherman Crab. Then hear something about the Battle of Tassafaronga (SP?) and 'need' to make a USN WWII Cruiser. The searching for the kits, be it at a LHS, eBay or online is fun. Even looking for an old kit that I built as a kid.

You've got me thinking about 'why' now for sure though!

John
oldtimer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi John and Joel,
Yep it sure is hard to explain the reason why we love this art form.
I am sorry to disagree with you Joel but I believe it is both an acquired skill and an artistic gift.
Who else decides how the figures are placed within a diorama, how they are painted what the story is that is being depicted.

But it just goes to show how vivid our imaginations are no matter what scale we use it is our artistic skill that sets the scene, it is our acquired skill that produces the final result.

What do you think?

Cheers
Martin
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi John and Joel,
Yep it sure is hard to explain the reason why we love this art form.
I am sorry to disagree with you Joel but I believe it is both an acquired skill and an artistic gift.
Who else decides how the figures are placed within a diorama, how they are painted what the story is that is being depicted.

But it just goes to show how vivid our imaginations are no matter what scale we use it is our artistic skill that sets the scene, it is our acquired skill that produces the final result.

What do you think?

Cheers
Martin

Martin, by an acquired skill I was referring to the concept that you can learn to build, paint, weather models, and figures to a fairly consistent high level if you put in the time and effort. But such artistic things like singing, playing an instrument, sculpting, etc. is something that you can or can't do. Sure lessons can hone what skills you have, but can never make you much better then you already are. In my case I have no artistic skills. Drawing a straight line requires the use of a ruler, and then it's 50/50.
Joel
oldtimer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Joel,
Sorry to hear about the ruler thing. All my kids play musical instruments, I cant even clap the beat, so I know where you are coming from.
Well call it acquired skill, artistry, flare, it doesn't matter we all enjoy the hobby no matter what level we model at.

That's the most important thing.

Martin
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
entire network: 454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 165 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To be honest, I'm addicted to Dragon's Panzer IIIs and IVs.

Ah you too got the bug! Welcome to the Panzer side. I love Panzer III's and Panzer IV's from early era.. 39-42ish.
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi Joel,

I have petty much made most things in my 50+ years of modelling, from aircraft when I was a lad (the obligatory Airfix Spitfire being my first kit), through armour to Historex Napoleonic, then Zinnfiguren onto Space Marines and finally landing back with armour. I find armour most satisfying and stick mainly with that, although I am a volunteer Civilian Instructor with the local Air Cadets - teaching them how to make model aircraft - which is a pleasant change. When I bought Arthur Ward's book on Airfix I found I could pretty much tick most of the models in the list at the back, which was a little scary - now I know where all my pocket money went to. I still dabble with the Zinnfiguren (flat figures) as this improves my figure painting skills. Here is one I did earlier this year...

Just do what you feel gives you the most enjoyment and always be open to trying something different as each aspect of the hobby compliments the other and will add new skills to the modelling arsenal, the best example of this is checking out Model Railroad magazines, those fellas are so good at groundwork and weathering.

All the best,

Paul
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
Paul, I've never seen anything like that flat figure scene. Very well painted. I really like it.
Joel
spacewolfdad
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 642 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, I've never seen anything like that flat figure scene. Very well painted. I really like it.
Joel

Hi Joel,

It is a group flat of the 'Seven Swabians' ( Die Sieben Schwaben), based on a German folk tale of seven friends who went off to hunt an ogre they thought was in the mountain, but turned out to be a rabbit! The flat is by possibly the greatest engraver of flat figures, Karl Franz Mohr, and was a joy to paint. The picture is about actual size.

All the best,

Paul
 _GOTOTOP