_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
"view latest posts"
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 01:39 AM UTC
This new 'view' of latest posts... is terrible. Is there a way to use the old version?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 01:43 AM UTC
Jesse could you clarify what it is you do not like about it as most seem to think it is a great improvement.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 06:04 AM UTC
Yeah, terrible is not very helpful if you want us to understand your issues with it. Perhaps you just aren't using it right or you may have some css files or something that are cached and making the page look odd.

The old page can be accessed here: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=latestposts_old

Thanks,
Jim
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 5,609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC
I understand that most people like the change so I would just like to ask for a few improvements:

I like to see all sites first and then focus on aeroscale as I first check if there is something I like to read and the go to Aircraft as Armorama turns much faster than the other sites an "buries" much of the other stuff faar below. Problem is that the change forth and back does only work once.

Cold you downsize the font a bit. The new entries cover the space formerly taken by 3 posts. I do not use mobile devices, maybe it is possible to make a different latest post page for these.

just my 2 ct

all the best

Steffen
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
It does appear to be a bit broken (requiring page refresh the second time around). I will try to get this back to working as it was before whatever broke this behavior.

Keep in mind that those buttons will be to change your default view and there will be (next week) links to do quick filters for specific sites or groupings of topics.

I can add an option to downsize the topic title font, but it won't really make more posts show up in less space. The height of each block is fixed based on all the elements being fit into it currently (pagination, etc).

Thanks,
Jim
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 5,609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
Thanks Jim!

o.k. if you do not downsize the info buttons (which are useless to me) you also do not need to change the font size. So save the time for other stuff!

all the best

Steffen
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 09:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jim!

o.k. if you do not downsize the info buttons (which are useless to me) you also do not need to change the font size. So save the time for other stuff!

all the best

Steffen

Hi Steffen,
I just fixed the ajax issue so that should be working as intended now. Some files were still pointing back to my development version which was mucking things up.

I may give you guys various options like turning off the views, replies, favorites as that would speed up loading for some users. However I don't want to code getting 10x more complex than it already is, so that may or may not happen depending on how easily it can be integrated.

Cheers,
Jim
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 06:28 AM UTC
The only thing I don't like (and it's probably something I'm doing wrong), is after I look at a post and hit my back arrow, it takes me to the top of the forum where I have to start all over again. kind of frustrating if I was half or 3/4 the way down the list.

Jesse
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing I don't like (and it's probably something I'm doing wrong), is after I look at a post and hit my back arrow, it takes me to the top of the forum where I have to start all over again. kind of frustrating if I was half or 3/4 the way down the list.

Jesse

I have tried to fix that browser default action with a cookie that will reset the posts to start with a topic near the point you were at. Do you see some text above the list of topics saying something to that effect? If not perhaps you are blocking cookies on your browser.

Thanks,
Jim
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 769 Posts
KitMaker Network: 219 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 01:34 AM UTC
Jim,
Still not liking the new forum. I'm not blocking cookies, and everytime I click on a subject, when I hit the back browser it takes me back to the top and I have to start all over again. What am I doing wrong?

Jesse
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi Jesse,
Not sure. Your browser may have the old javascript file cached. That may be what is causing the new function not to work for you. It's either that or a cookie problem.

Is anyone else having trouble getting this to work?

It does have to be a topic older than a few hours (from the start of the list).

Jim
 _GOTOTOP