_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
japanese modeling
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:02 AM UTC

i wish to state catagorically and for the record that the japanese are the best modelers and have the best hobby kits in the world. i just came off of Hobby Link Japan and all i could do was drool. i applaud the imagination of my japanese brethren and fantastic work they do. and also the awe inspiring imaginations that they have. when i travel through the web superhighway and am inspired by their fantastic imaginations in plastic and other materials, i must stop and tip my hat to them. not only military, but sci-fi and fantasy. it just boggles my imagination at what they come up with. i "read" a lot of their magazines and am flabbergasted at the quality of work the japanese modeler does, their attention to detail is amazing. they would win all the medals and awards in this country-----lol, but seriously i bow to their achievements in this hobby.
chris :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Chris, totally agree. I had the luck to actually see some of the Japanese master do the model in a shop in HK while they come to promote their new figures. They are amazing, and mind you, very fast at what they are doing.
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
thanks dave,
they do such inspiring work, don't they?

look at the panzerfile catalogue, don't thatbeat all!
chris
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks dave,
they do such inspiring work, don't they?

look at the panzerfile catalogue, don't thatbeat all!
chris

I was overwhelmed! While I watching them, I thought to myself "Hey, this looked easy enough", then tried to do it at home, can't even achieve 10% of the look. bummer.

I will go to the hobby shop tonight, to talk to the owner, see if I can take some picture of his private collection done by the Japanese masters. If so, I will try to post them.
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
I'm not all that familar with the work of our brothers on the side of the big pond.
Im not at all surprized by what has been said though.The Japanese are just
competitive as what we are. But remember if they building for a living it is
different most of us are not blessed to work in our hobby,it is just that hobby.
It still will not keep me for checking out a web site , has someone got one
they could post.
thanks Chris for the info.

ponysoldier

The Horse The Gun The Man
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm new here and, so far, enjoy this site a lot.

I thought I'd reply to this discussion since I happen to find myself now living in Japan with *TONS* of great resources and hobby shops! In fact, there are two within 10 minutes (by bicyle) from my apartment. A third is located about 10 minutes by train, which is pretty huge.

Now, if I can only make room in my tiny dwelling to set up a spray booth . . . .

- MonkeyBoy
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 03:05 PM UTC
they do seem to have a fine attention to detail
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:52 PM UTC
it doesn't matter to me if our Japanese brethren do modeling for a living, well some of them. their attention to detail and how they paint is just amazing. and they never lack for imagination, which is the problem with western modelers. we tend to stick with actual history and the Japanese expand their horizons. Read the comic "Luftwaffe 1946" and tell me that their imaginations aren't better than ours. American modelers should try to step out of the box a little and not be afraid to see what can be created by their hands.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC
Good point a little handy creativity can work wonders, Arigato!

Jack
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it doesn't matter to me if our Japanese brethren do modeling for a living, well some of them. their attention to detail and how they paint is just amazing. and they never lack for imagination, which is the problem with western modelers. we tend to stick with actual history and the Japanese expand their horizons. Read the comic "Luftwaffe 1946" and tell me that their imaginations aren't better than ours. American modelers should try to step out of the box a little and not be afraid to see what can be created by their hands.

i wish i could do modeling for a living
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 08:58 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Monkeyboy (unusual name that!!)

Wilkommen, Bienvenue, welcome,.... fremde,étranger, stranger, Happy to see you bleibe reste, stay, Wir sagen wilkommen....

Genki, (howdy in Japansese)

Jackonara :-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought I'd reply to this discussion since I happen to find myself now living in Japan with *TONS* of great resources and hobby shops! In fact, there are two within 10 minutes (by bicyle) from my apartment. A third is located about 10 minutes by train, which is pretty huge

Howdy, Monkeyboy! Welcome to the site! :-)
Three hobbyshops close to you?!?!?! Yikes!!! My wallet would be quite light if that were the situation for me over here... You may want to check out the 'compulsive spenders' topic.

YodaMan
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i wish to state catagorically and for the record that the japanese are the best modelers and have the best hobby kits in the world. i just came off of Hobby Link Japan and all i could do was drool. i applaud the imagination of my japanese brethren and fantastic work they do. and also the awe inspiring imaginations that they have. when i travel through the web superhighway and am inspired by their fantastic imaginations in plastic and other materials, i must stop and tip my hat to them. not only military, but sci-fi and fantasy. it just boggles my imagination at what they come up with. i "read" a lot of their magazines and am flabbergasted at the quality of work the japanese modeler does, their attention to detail is amazing. they would win all the medals and awards in this country-----lol, but seriously i bow to their achievements in this hobby.
chris :-)

If you like Japanese modlers don't know if you seen this site but he is good take a look at his t/34 welded turret.

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwge2272/home.htm

welcome aboard Monkeyboy. That is guite a name
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 05:15 AM UTC
to sgtreef, domo arigato, to monkeyhead, kunichiwa
to captainjack, you are an inspiration :-)
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
Im quite sure that our brothers do step out of the box,and they are quite good at it.
But thats not what is show quality, historicaly correct and to scale.Nothing against
our sci fi fans its a matter of preferences. But to scale always to scale.
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:24 AM UTC
what i meant by "outside the box" is:
1. develop and show models that aren't always the norm
2. make fantasy kits- E-79, Ta-183, etc.
3. have books and magazine that no one else produces
these are some of the things i was talking about

chris
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, living near 3 hobby shops has taken its toll on my wallet alright! (I found it helps to empty my pockets, on my kitchen table, BEFORE I visit the shops heh heh )

There's one shop in particular that I like. It's small, but jam packed, floor to ceiling, with model kits (mostly Tamiya, but lots from around the world too). They shop owner is very helpful. If I ask about a product (for example a masking liquid), he takes some out, pulls a scrap model out from behind the counter and demonstates it right there on the spot for me.

I contrast this to a larger shop, nearby on the top floor of a department store. It's pretty huge, but there's a lot of junk in there too. The employees are polite, but not nearly as knowledgable as the guy in the little shop.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this site (someone from rec.models.scale recommended it). What awsome photos of models! Great technique articles too.

Best regards,

- Eric (aka "MonkeyBoy" - If you saw my arms you'd know why ;-) )
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 06:17 PM UTC
I realy like the japanese anime, and I enjoy the mecha, spaceship models and figures that
emanate from it.
What rely amazes me, is the number og guys in Japan creating their own kits, casting resin...
It's something I've never heard of in Europe !
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 08:05 PM UTC
i get motivation from what they do
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:08 PM UTC
today i saw three japanese hobby sights and all i could do was drool, ain't that awful. i am trying hopefully to become as good as them someday.

to sourkraut and yodaman, you two are the best
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:10 PM UTC
when i see some of the work they do i keep asking my self,how do they do that
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:17 PM UTC
Welcome MonkeyBoy.

Quoted Text

They shop owner is very helpful. If I ask about a product (for example a masking liquid), he takes some out, pulls a scrap model out from behind the counter and demonstates it right there on the spot for me.

Man, that is neat, a demonstration on the spot. Wish that I had a hobbyshop in town with such people working in it. I hope you realize how blessed you are

Mario M.

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you like Japanese modlers don't know if you seen this site but he is good take a look at his t/34 welded turret.

http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~fwge2272/home.htm

And while you are there, take a look at the Waffen SS figure vignette. Awesome... I just wish I could read those strange little letters...

Mario M.

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome MonkeyBoy.

Quoted Text

They shop owner is very helpful. If I ask about a product (for example a masking liquid), he takes some out, pulls a scrap model out from behind the counter and demonstates it right there on the spot for me.

Man, that is neat, a demonstration on the spot. Wish that I had a hobbyshop in town with such people working in it. I hope you realize how blessed you are
mario M.

i have found that most hobby shop people have to be a jack of all hobbys.therefore dont know a lot about any one thing.and so are not that helpful to me .but maybe they would be to a new person just starting out.
keep in mind i said most ,not all of them.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
Yes you are blessed by a Hobbyshop guy that knows his stuff I keep on telling my guy that both Italeri and Tamiya have the same Hummer kit in it and he says noway I guess I will have to bring both in to show him.
Jeff
 _GOTOTOP