_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
japanese modeling
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes you are blessed by a Hobbyshop guy that knows his stuff I keep on telling my guy that both Italeri and Tamiya have the same Hummer kit in it and he says noway I guess I will have to bring both in to show him.
Jeff

i rest my case
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
MonkeyBoy here -

Just thought I'd boast a bit more about my local hobby shop guy:

I go in the other day prepared to order a Gunze L5 pump for my airbrush. I brought my brand new Pasche double action brush with me to check the fittings/adapters to make sure I can hook it up. (I bought the Pasche in the states and brought it here to Japan).

Well, despite Gunze's adapter selection, there was no way to connect my Pasche to the Gunze pump. So, I ask the guy about new airbrushes - ones that will hook up to the pump (even though I hate to shelve this brand new Pasche). He starts showing me some. He takes a few from his workbench, hooks 'em up and lets me spray a few.

So, okay, I'm about to buy a new airbrush and the pump. But, I have one final question: will the pump operate okay if I bring it back to the States someday (110volts vs. Japan's 100V). He tells me that he doesn't think it's a good idea. He doesn't think it will work. Well, I'm figuring on being here at least a year, probably more, though, so I'm just about to go through with the order.

Just then, the guy excuses himself and goes out back. A minute later he comes back carrying a used Iwata pump that appears to be an older model but in great condition. He takes my Pasche brush and lo and behold it hooks right up! He offers to give me the pump free of charge! The only stipulation being that if/when I return to the States I return the pump. But he emphasized that, not to worry, if something happens to it (such as it breaking for some reason) that it's no problem.

Needless to say, I am thoroughly impressed with this guy's character. He essentially forfeited a sizable sale at the expense of offering me a free compressor. I almost couldn't accept it - but I did :-)

I felt so obligated afterwards, though, that I had to buy a spray booth from him to use with my new airbrush set :-)

Now, is that service with a smile or what?

Regards

MonkeyBoy
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:39 PM UTC
Monkeyboy, you lucky man! The services in Japan is unparallel anywhere in the world. And the professionism. I consider myself lucky because I live near a hobby shop that is specialized in armor/military stuff (YES, NO CARS! :-) ), and the staff there are friendly and also willing to answer any question I ask. But compare to you, man! :-)
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 01:03 PM UTC
These stories tell me that I too am missing something. The items on the site were incredible!! I am VERY impressed! Thanks for posting the link!
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:57 AM UTC
thanks to SS-74 and Monkeyboy for adding teeth to this thread. you are the best!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks to SS-74 and Monkeyboy for adding teeth to this thread. you are the best!

One has to brag sometimes. =)
And hope flames in a man's heart for eternalty, especially a modeller's heart :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 03:15 AM UTC
Just want to brag some more .... #:-) I was in the hobby store today, and I was discouraged by the owner from buying kits, because he said that I already got 10 kits that I store in their place, and the more I buy, I tend to rush the project rather than put more effort in it. And he also discouraged me from buying a 100 dollar worth of upgrade set for my Nashorn, because he said that my skill level is not there yet, would just frustrate me and ruin the fun. But he is going to save it for me.

What a great store! #:-) :-) :-) :-)
MonkeyBoy
Visit this Community
Japan / 日本
entire network: 22 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 10:06 AM UTC
Speaking of detailed painting by Japanese modelers, when I was in the shop the other day, the guy showed me a plane he was working on.

Excuse my ignorance regarding planes, names etc. It was an old German war plane that was aparrently made of wood (the real thing, not the kit). It was about 6 inches long. When he showed it to me I could have sworn that the fuselage was actually made from tiny panels of wood. It was approximately the color of bamboo, and had very, very convincing miniscule brown "grain" entirely painted in by hand. The wood grain was so realistic it looked three dimensional. It had straight lines and little swirls. The guy showed me the tiny brush he used to painstakingly paint it it.

If I can get a photo of it (and his permission) I would definitely like to post it here for you guys to see. The guys was so humble about it too.

- Monkeyboy
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking of detailed painting by Japanese modelers, when I was in the shop the other day, the guy showed me a plane he was working on.

Excuse my ignorance regarding planes, names etc. It was an old German war plane that was aparrently made of wood (the real thing, not the kit). It was about 6 inches long. When he showed it to me I could have sworn that the fuselage was actually made from tiny panels of wood. It was approximately the color of bamboo, and had very, very convincing miniscule brown "grain" entirely painted in by hand. The wood grain was so realistic it looked three dimensional. It had straight lines and little swirls. The guy showed me the tiny brush he used to painstakingly paint it it.

If I can get a photo of it (and his permission) I would definitely like to post it here for you guys to see. The guys was so humble about it too.

- Monkeyboy

wow
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 01:39 AM UTC
I ve done some resin models casted by japanese sculptors and the details are so awesome that its frightening! Where do they get all their inspirations from?! The sculpting is so good that i ve contemplated to switch from plastics to resins!! In the end the price of those resin kits made up my mind.
 _GOTOTOP