_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Aircraft
This is a group for aircraft scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
making the break chute for the F-4 Phantom II
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 04:17 PM UTC
I'm in the process of making a diorama of a F-4 Phantom II landing on the runway with the break chute deployed.Now this diorama is in the scale of 1/200th.So my question to you guys is this,how does one make such a chute in this scale?What material would you use?Sheet plastic?fabric?paper mache? Help!
Thank you
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 06:27 PM UTC
I'd use kleenex coated in white glue so you have a thin papier-mache when it's dry and it'll hold its shape. Probably the best way to form it is over a small balloon. It's going to be an interesting challenge to do all the rings of parachute material. Perhaps make the lines first, then cut out rings of tissue and glue them in place overtop?
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
Jody

At 1/200 scale, am I correct in thinking the chute will only be about 2 cm in diameter, if that ???

How about making your master of the shape in something like sanded wood dowel or Femo on a stick that can be formed with a craft knife !!!!!!!!!! Once you have your shape including all those bulged pleats, try a basic push through type of vacforming on clear plastic.

In 1/200, it will be hard to form your pleats with tissue and keep the shape as you try to peel it off your former.

At least with the vacform method, you should be able to withdraw your wooden dowel or Femo former leaving your clear plastic shape ready for painting including clear areas left to mimic the vents in the chute that could be drilled out if you wanted to be really clever.

Good luck

Nige
wychdoctor92394
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2013 - 04:51 AM UTC
It's a 40 foot wide round chute, so figure the size in 1/200 scale...
 _GOTOTOP