_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What Do Judges Look For?
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 491 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hey man, don't build a model for the judges; build it for yourself. Then enter it a competition anyway. These competions are a great way to get some objective feedback from other modelers and give you some direction on how to improve your skills. You can choose to accept the advice or not. That's my favorite part of these contests because ours is such a solitary hobby. Having someone look my work over (besides my wife. You know, someone who's INTERESTED ) and critique it has helped me improve so much. I've been lucky enough to have nothing but positive experiences from other modelers. It's always been constructive feedback, not "destructive" feedback. You want to check out AMPS's and IPMS's judging criteria for reference? Go for it, but don't let that rule you. My humble opinion.

Chris
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 277 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
After reading all the input, I hafta agree with Mr.Green. He's right, do it for yourself FIRST, then if you want to enter, go for it. You really hafta love this hobby or it becomes a real drag on you. I pushed the envelope last week to get a 1/48 Tamiya Kruppe thinking it was "a quick build in a different scale"...HAH..was I wrong...!

I was trying so hard to get it done in time that the build became maddening. I was thinking how much effort to put into it knowing the judges would remember that I usually build good stuff and that this build was not up to standards that I SET MYSELF...!

So, it just goes to show you that no matter what you are building, subject wise, you have to put in the same amount of effort ALL the time to compete. After reading the posts, I must admit that the competition thing is just that, a COMPETITION...be prepared to be scrutinized to the nth degree...!!!

THe judges are looking for, as most said, a clean, well painted, decaled model. Accuracy can be a hard one if you are doing Sci-Fi, as I mentioned. There ARE NO reference files to call upon to verify what the builder has written down, so the judge MUST rely on the items I mentioned above.

The best part about how our local IPMS judges, is that you are competing against yourself really, and NOT another builder. The set of rules are there for all to read and the points are awarded against a scale from x to x. Seems the fairest way IMHO...

thehermit
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 01:45 PM UTC
I enjoy a challenge. I tried to finish a third of my Pz.IV in a week to make Nats. Gave up on it and took a KV-1, instead. As for building for myself; I am trying to build contest winners. After that, I will be confident in my capabilities as a builder. Besides, I'm going to have to sell some of my finished kits as I have no more room to display them. I find people are more likely to buy from someone who has taken an award from competitions.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 01:30 AM UTC
When I do any special work, detail, etc, I print out pictures of the build and the actual prototype and include it with he entry sheet. As far as what the judges look for besides the basics mentioned, only the crystal ball knows.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
Does anybody have information on the AMPS competition in Atlanta, this year?
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Announcement page on AMPS website.

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/conventions/showInfo.aspx?Page=Annouce&ShowID=44

AMPS Armor Rules from February 2012

http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/contestRules.aspx

Anything else?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What kind of information do you want?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 07:06 AM UTC
Thanks Matt. That's what I was looking for.
 _GOTOTOP