_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Allergic Rubber?!
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 478 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 09:36 PM UTC
Just bought a pair of rubber gloves today. (for handling, painting and sanding...)When i was time to use it, it was fine...When I took it off, and scratched my nose, it felt like a burning sensation...After a while, it was gone...Can rubber really cause allergies on some persons?
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC
yes it can. maybe you should try 2 get your hands on some fabric gloves like a butler uses,
and I know people that are allergic 2 rubber. but thank god yr not allergic 2 plastic.

Greets Juul
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2003 - 11:36 PM UTC
Hey LW,

Another sensation or reaction is to the powder that is in many of these rubber gloves. If you have some chemical sensations, then this and a potenital allergy to latex is your problem.

If you need to wear some gloves, such as if you are applying some material with your fingers, I would suggest you get some "nitril" style of gloves. These come without the powder and are chemicaly resistant to the checmials we use in this hobby. And the come in some pretty cool colors!

If you are just using these gloves to handle some pieces, then the simple cotton glove (disposable) is great. BTW, I have both the cotton and nitril gloves.

If you have any other questiosn, please ask.

Dave
AMPS LA
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 12:56 AM UTC
Sounds like a latex allergy. very common among hospital workers. they do make latex free gloves..
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
Kimberly-Clark makes nitril gloves, free of latex. they are purple coloured.

Kris
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like a latex allergy. very common among hospital workers. they do make latex free gloves.

Roger that, Warlock.

I saw this allergy years ago when I was working in corrections. With the fear of AIDS, hepatitus, etc., all of us started wearing "rubber" gloves whenever we might have to touch inmates. The state bought us crappy gloves that tore and fell apart, so many of us mooched gloves from our doctor's office or bought gloves at the store. It soon became apparent that some of the gloves were causing a reaction among many members of the staff, as well as some of the inmates we were handling -- turned out the offending gloves were latex. Now, latex gloves are banned in most medical and correctional settings.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:44 AM UTC
Gosh it really looks like a "latex" allergy... but there are several options for latex free gloves. One month ago I've discovered to be allergic to resin, and I mainly build resin kits!!! So from a month or so I wear like a "scuba diver" hat, latex gloves, gas mask and goggles when I dela with resin kits...
Ciao and best wishes for your allergy!
AaronW
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:14 PM UTC
Yes Latex allergy is a problem. I discovered mine whaile working as a paramedic (rather inconvieniant) mine was largely due to the horrible quality gloves the company bought us, the low quality gloves often use recycled latex (which have more of the allery causing protiens) and use powder which absorb these protiens and help them work down to your live skin cells (the top level of your skin are dead cells). There are a couple of things you can try, buy good quality powder free (not powderless, these apparantly are what they say less powdered, not no powder) latex gloves, many of the good quality gloves have a layer of silicone on the inside which further help avoid contact with your skin. Wash your hands as soon as you are done. A better solution is to use Nitrile gloves instead of latex, these used to be much more expensive but now are only $1-2 more for a box of 50. They are also very tough compared to latex.

Microflex was one of the first companies to really address the latex allergy problem, I have used many brands over my career and these are my favorites, look around their selection and find one you think will meet your needs. Most are durable enough that for model building purposes you can probably get a few uses out of a pair if you are careful taking them off.

http://www.microflex.com/

I have no stock in the company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

The other option for your problem is that many powdered gloves use talc which could be what caused the burning, if you are going to be using these frequently though I'd still advise you find a good quality glove, no reason to temp fate, Latex allergies can cause life threatening reactions similar to those allergic to bee stings or shellfish.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 05:53 PM UTC
Lonewolf -
I work in a hospital, as the network guy. I used to be a Fireman/Paramedic.
Anyway,
I second the post about MicroFlex. The hospital puts out much better gloves than the junk we used on the Fire Trucks and Ambulances. Theyre usually purple or green, but can still be picked up in 'clear.' The hospital always puts out MicroFlex.

It wouldnt be uncommon for you to have an allergic reaction to either the gloves or the powders they coat them with.

Hope this helps you find the right fit for you.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
What do all these special gloves cost? Lucky me, I don't have any allergies in regardes to this. Don't wear gloves when I paint (airbrush) but I try to use a holder and paint on newspaper turning the kit or moving me around the kit
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 12:16 AM UTC
Now, come to think of it....it did have some kind of powdery thing on the glove..Maybe that was causing all the allergic reaction....In any case, I got to get myself a new pair of working gloves...I was getting worried about health all of a sudden....Can't let my own hobby kill me..^__^

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be sure to follow them!
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
As far as cost
theyre a little more than the cheaper models that dont say "hypo-allergenic" on the box of course.
But if I need them i just grab a few pair from the dispensers at work, so i dont know specifics.
Lonewolf - health matters, hospitals are a great place to work, but I hate being a customer.
Repirators and or ventilation are bigger concern to me than absorption through skin contact, but your right to think it through.
Also for whatever its worth, they beat into us this anal-fixation with washing our hands every 30 minutes or so.
So perhaps I think less about hand stuff and more about breathing stuff because of that, but good handwashing while modeling may be benefical for you to add to your painting/sanding/gluing rituals...
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Hmmm,
I take it you never went out at halloween dressed like this then HEEHEE
I know what is like to have an allergy I've got it to zinc brings me out in dead ichy blisters and if they burst spread the infection hope it clears up soon mate
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
I guess this would be the latex allergy acid test
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
Lonewolf:
The powder is just that regular powder. Chances are it wasn't that that caused the reaction. It was the latex in the gloves. The powder is there to help the gloves slide on easier.
I presently work in a Hospital with patience and the problem is so prevelant that now 90-99% of all hospital equipment is latex free. Most gloves you will find in a hospital are the latex free gloves. Due to the fact that over the years the patience themselves have a latex allergy and don't know it until it is too late and have a reaction to it.
The scary thing about this is the more you use the latex the worse the reactions can get over time.
Fireman is right.Health is important Either spend the extra for the latex free gloves or do a little recon of the local hospital.
Hope this helps
Paul
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC
pffffft allergic to rubber.......I'm just glad I didn't have that in my teens #:-)

sorry couldn't help it.....

Now without the humor.... If it's the powder, clean your gloves with mild soap and a bit of warm water, let them dry and fill them with a bit of regular talcum powder... that should do the trick. In case of allergy for latex go for some latex free gloves.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
Good grief ! I thought I'd just go to google (pictures) and type "latex" to find an even nicer illustration than mikeli125's. I ran into such bizarre websites it took me almost an hour to get back here ! ROFL !
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
Jan.... Just a note.. There are a lot of people out there that have a latex fetish.. Liquid latex has an interesting use in the making of temprary clothing that is easily peeled off. As well as other things, but I will say this I feel lucky that I don't have the latex allergy when ALL 4 of my children do. It's very upsetting to see a small child blister and peel from a bandaid.

Lonewolf Look into the Aloe Touch Nitrile gloves... Not only are they hypo allergenic, but they that aloe in them that would help with any irritation from the plastics and resins you work with that might enter the gloves..

lonewolf
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice... I'll keep that in mind - latex free and hypo allergenic gloves...I'l try asking about them these days...Hope our stores have them...

yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 05:10 AM UTC
A product I have found that is an alternative to gloves is "Gloves in a bottle" and is applied in the same manner as a hand lotion. Once applied it protects from solvents, thinners and paints, etc. The product cannot be removed by washing, but exfolliats with skin cells.

It is also quite good for working on the family auto making grease and grime easy to remove. I also use it for handeling lead bullets when reloading. A 4 oz bottle costs about $8.00 and lasts me about 6 months.
 _GOTOTOP