_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: IPMS
Topics about IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society).
What's the IPMS
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
Like I told you before, I was out of the modelling business for quite some years. When I temporarily retired some years ago, I'd never heard of Internet.

Now, with the digital highway on every corner of the street, a lot of extra info is provided to us.

On the Newsgroups I heard the name IPMS almost every day. Also on this site I've see then link.

Can ne1 tell me what the IPMS is or does ?

Sure I can read it just following the links, but I just get overwhelmed wit all the info on those sites. Just need a couple of words on what it is and what it does to us...

ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Eagle,
The IPMS is the International Plastic Modelers Society. Check out their web page http://www.ipmsusa.org You will find quite of useful info about the organization and the different chapters through out the US.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
Eagle,
The Netherlands has their own IPMS organization. Here's the web address:http://www.xs4all.nl/~ipms/
IPMS Netherlands
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC
Which begs the question... If it's the INTERNATIONAL Plastic Modelers Society, then why dont's they have an International Web site too??

Don't mind me...as my wife says I can find fault with anything.

Jim
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Which begs the question... If it's the INTERNATIONAL Plastic Modelers Society, then why dont's they have an International Web site too??

Don't mind me...as my wife says I can find fault with anything.

Jim

In the same logic vein, why is it the National Hockey League when there are teams from both Canada and the United States?
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
And the World Series, you would think it would have to encompass more than just teams from the US and Canada. Shouldn't it just be the North American Series?
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 01:27 PM UTC
I think that would depend on how many pitchers the Yankees have "liberated" from Cuba lately...

Mike

Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 02:20 PM UTC
You little rascals.....chaging the subject eh....

No Jim is right. I think that's why I was so confused with the name. The I for International didn't make much sence to me either. Maybe I was expecting too much of the I part.
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 02:52 PM UTC
and donīt forget: also Austria has its IPMS:
http://www.ipms.at
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 134 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 07:23 PM UTC
I doubt the IPMS guys would fight together like americans and canadians.. :-) :-)
the IPMS idea goes back some decades, when there was no internet, only few magazines
and books but some modellers who wanted to look over the cup they were swimming in
to acquire and exchange informations.
this idealistic credo suffered very soon from arrogance and ignorance by some members
and put some shadow on the whole idea. it also seems that certain IPMS branches are suffering quite a lot from the attitude of some people who prefer -clublife- and spreading intrigues rather than to behave according to the principle ideas and have not built a kit for ages..
it also seems, because due to the age and habit of some members the possibilities of internet have been totally overlooked and it is now really the question if in times of the internet an organisation like IPMS is really needed. there is no need to ask some "god"
in the club to arrange a conversation with somebody because today, If I want to ask Steve Zaloga or Mig I simply send them an email..and get a reply!!
which does not always happen if I ask someting on an IPMS forum..

being aware of all these questions, inner conflicts I joined IPMS Austria in march 2001 as
after more than 20 years of monitoring them at least ...

regards, werner

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You little rascals.....chaging the subject eh....

No Jim is right. I think that's why I was so confused with the name. The I for International didn't make much sence to me either. Maybe I was expecting too much of the I part.

You'll get used to that Eagle. For an international web site to be maintained, there would probably have to be an international headquaters to maintain it.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 09:16 PM UTC
Sabot,

looks to me that, amongst others, guys like Jim and you make me not needing the IPMS.

If you don't mind I consider this site as the International Headquarters then. Let me try to contribute over here to spread the knowledge.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
If I recall my IPMS history correctly, it originally began in the U.K. in the 1950s, then went "international" when it was brought to the U.S. in the early 1960s. Now you can find IPMS all over the globe - Brazil, Finland, New Zealand ... -- and all points in between.

I try not to get caught up in all the crap going on at IPMS/USA national level, but I do enjoy being a member of a local chapter. I've been in IPMS chapters in Alaska, Wisconsin and the Kansas City area. Always a great bunch of folks -- and I've made some life-long friends.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sabot,

looks to me that, amongst others, guys like Jim and you make me not needing the IPMS.

If you don't mind I consider this site as the International Headquarters then. Let me try to contribute over here to spread the knowledge.

I'm a recent member of the IPMS (joined in January, about the time this site took off). I too think of Armorama as a sort of online club that I belong to, so of course I don't mind. I used to frequent RMS and post there, but the flame wars got out of hand. Case in point, I noticed you recommended this site on RMS and were immediately attacked for it (actually you were accused of being the site owner). I still post there and answer questions and the like, but I've found a home here.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC
Rob,

I would have replied to your message earlier, but first I had to look at RMS. Just looking at it made me want to react......So I did.

We'll see the accuser here some day. And when that's happening....I'll owe him my respect again. Until then.......He doesn't know what he's missing.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
I know the IPMS was founded here in Dallas. Also, one of the great experencesI've had was to attend the National show in2000. I ran through 4 rolls of film and would of used more if I'ld had it. Am seriously considering going to Okla CIty for 2003's. Not to compete mind you just to photograph and meet with the myriad model producers to tell them what I want.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 12:33 PM UTC
I am not a member of IPMS but if someone is lurking in RMS and bad mouthing this forum I will head there and start a flame war like they haven't seen. I am really adapt at stirring up sh@t. Ask anyone. Hee Hee. I may just head there now.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 04:50 PM UTC
Otay, as Buckweet might say. I'm a long ter member of IPMS/USA and president of an affitliated chapter. IPMS went through a difficult time a while back. it provides a generalized set of rules for competition as well as some guidelines dor contests in the several US regions so there aren't major show/competitions competiting against each other. The natinonal and regional conventions provide a forum for modelers to show theitr efforts for all the world to see.
 _GOTOTOP