_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Model shops in Holland
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
I will be travelling to Holland in the next few weeks and I am wondering whether there are any good hobby shops in Amsterdam or south of the city. Also, is Arnhem worth visiting?

Thank you
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC
Ola Marty.
Cool you are going to visit our little country. Hope you will have a good time here. Sadly modelshops are a dying breed here. Most of them have closed shop. I think in Amsterdam you still have the schaaltreinhuis which last time i visited there hsd a nice selection of kits. Mind you I'm talking years back.

Arnhem is quite nice they have a good museum centered around the british part of market garden. Remnantwise it is not the most interesting part of holland as a lot of the city got rebuilt after the war. This includes the bridge. If you are in that neighbourhood anyway you could go to Oosterbeek. Where the former 1 para headquarters was when the advance to arnhem halted. Hotel hartenstein is still there and there is quite a good museum there. Also worth it is walking the perimeter route which goes along all the key points during the brits stay there. I csnt tell you about hobbyshops in Arnhem from the top of my head. Have to look that up.

Which places are you visiting in Holland and how long are you going to be here?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2012 - 09:28 AM UTC
Found the link to the schaal treinen huis (scaletrainhouse) in Amsterdam
http://www.google.nl/webhp?client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-home&sky=mrdr
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2012 - 10:20 PM UTC
I just got back a couple of days ago. I visited Arnhem and Njimegen. The museum in Arnhem was nice. It's really amazing that everything in that collection came from private donors. I also went to Overloon to the Oorlogsmuseum. What a fantastic place. Unfortunately I got there about an hour before closing time so I didn't have a chance to see everything in full detail. I will be sure to make that my #1 stop next time I go to Holland.

As for the hobby shops, I only found one and it was located next to the museum. It was a very small shop and mostly had 1:72 scale models along with some toy soldiers and reference books.
 _GOTOTOP