Hosted by Matt Leese
Refillable air tank as air source?
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:09 AM UTC
When told about my need for a compressor for an airbrush I was considering buying, my grandpa suggested that I get a large, sturdy and airtight air tank, install regulators and filters, fill-it-up at a gas station with the compressed air used for filling tires and use that as an air source for the airbrush.

Though obviously much cheaper than a compressor (and silent!), I'm wondering about the drawbacks of such a system. How much PSI would I need in the tank to last for a good while of airbrushing (2-3 hours)? Would a reasonably-sized tank even last that long? Does anyone here have any kind of experience with this thing? Thanks for any help!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
I have done this a long time ago with my canned air. I've used a car compressor to fill it up again. It works but not good enough. Here's how you'll do it:

1. Check how much pressure the compressor can handle. If it can only hold up to 300 PSI, fill it up only up to 270.
2. DO NOT! Overfill it or fill it to it's max capacity. It may explode like a frag grenade.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
You'll probably only get 1 model out of a fill At the most... most gas stations only run around 100-120 psi...... a small compressor with a tank would be the best bet.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:09 AM UTC
For whatever it's worth this is kind of the way I use my compressor. I is LOUD, so I don't want to have it come on too often. I fill up the two gallon tank to it's max, about 140psi, then shut it off and move to where I'm going to use it. That amount of air, and that preasure, lasted me laying down the base coat of three models the other day. I may even be able to paint indoors using this meathod, as long as "she who must be obeyed" doesn't mind the smell of the paint.

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:17 AM UTC
I use a CO2 tank. It is filled to 900lbs. It is what is called a '20# tank" . It is an easily carried size. At 20psi, I have not made a dent in the amount yet. It will cost about $20 to refill at my local welding shop. Just another idea to think about.
capnjock
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:24 AM UTC
That's the same thing I do!!
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC
it would also be a big hassle to run your tank down to the gas station al the time
blank
Visit this Community
entire network: 190 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies! I have also heard about CO2 tanks over the Internet, is there any key difference between air-filled tanks and CO2-filled tanks aside from capacity (and oxygen displacement from CO2)?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
It CO2 tanks are much heavier......they contain Liquid CO2 @ a pressure around 1200psi.

A spraybooth vent (if indoors) & good fresh air supply are Highly Reccomended
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC
CO2 is dry, so a water trap is not required! It is silent and also needs no electricity. The bottle is heavy, but I have mine strapped to a collapsible luggage dolly (the type airline travelers use). It stands next to my spray booth.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
FWIW:
I love my new compressor with a tank, and it isnt to noisey.
BUT
the cylinder will give you nice quiet, STEADY pressure.
A lot of compressors that dont have tanks are pushing the air right from the pump, and the pattern can be uneven, I said 'can' not 'are.'
I recommend at least 25psi + when your under load.
Ensure the air tank will do that, and I agree that the gas station pumps may not be able to fill your tank high enough to give you enough air to last a full spray.
Its worth a try but fill your tank on a low humidity day, and use it on a test model first until you 'perfect' this idea.

Wish you the best with it,
Firemann816
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
I have an airtank I picked up new and cheap at a home improvement center. It needed a little hardware (regulator, adapters), but not much. An airtank doesn't need a water filter because the water condenses out (inside the tank) under pressure. Unless you spray it out to the last ounce of pressure -- and tip the tank so the water washes down to the outlet -- water should never be a problem.

Granted, an airtank does not get as many shots as a CO2 tank, but it is much cheaper to fill (free, if you know where to go in your neighborhood), and is easier to move around.
 _GOTOTOP