History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
M26 Historical help
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hello To All
My current project is a t26e3 The track history states that one such track
engaged two german pzpk4s and a tiger outside of achen germany
and won this fight.After researching this to include 3rd armored div and 9th
armored div history. I can not seem to find the track # I would like to finish
mine with that track #. Also were kill rings used at this point in time?
Thanks for the help.
ponysoldier
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
There are no pics of kill rings in Squadrons Pershing in Action. I don't really remember seeing kill rings used on any US tanks.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi,

The tank you describe belonged to CCB, 3rd Armored Division, but I have not yet been able to identify which company and regiment. The action is described in the Army's official history, "The Last Offensive" written by Charles MacDonald. This book covers the final five months of cambat in NW Europe. The story goes, "At a range of a thousand yards, the Pershing hit and destroyed two Mark IV tanks, drilling through the thick side armor, and stopped a Mark VI Tiger with a hit at the vulnerable turret joint."

I see what else I can find.

Jeff
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
Morning

Thanks for the help.combat command B 3rd Ad well thats a good start.
Thanks again.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hunnicutts Pershing book gives a good account of this action as well as the damage to the first Pershing knocked out on combat - Fireball - was hit by a Tiger 1 and sustained damage to its gun, mantel, co-ax mg and turret roof. The amazing thing is that this tank was back in action in under 20 days.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2003 - 12:46 PM UTC
I'm not too sure about the tank you ask about knocking out 2 Pzpk 4's and a Tiger, but I do know the tank that knocked out 2 Tigers.
This tank - T26E3 - is number 36 from Co. D, 32nd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division during the Cologne battles.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 01:49 AM UTC
Ponysoldier,I was able to find very little info regarding our chat yesterday Here goes The T26E3 that knocked out that Panther in Cologne Germany was from the 32nd Regiment of the 3rd A.D. I looked in the book called Death Traps,by Belton Y.Cooper It has one pic from the right side rear flank On the sand shields it had what looked like a vehicle name and u.s.army and a serial # in small letters
Even with a magnifying glass I could not make out the numbers and letters I have a tape about the 3rd A.D. I watched that battle a few times Again I couldn't make out the letters and numbers However I did see that no bumper codes were in use
Also on that front bulge on the glasis plate between the driver and bow gunner was a number which looked to me 30983 I am not 100% sure of the 0 and 8 #'s
I know it's not much help Sorry about that Wish I could do more #:-) (++)