_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Good source for scale trees
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:23 AM UTC
I know as avid modelers we don't get outdoors that much BUT I've found that real trees supply a good source for scale trees. While you are out and about look down, the small branch pieces shed by trees make for a good base for dio trees. Granted they are wasted on this dio as the ground is so flat, but you can improve on that in yours.
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
You are right CRS. I use them in my armour dio´s and they look great. They have the natural look of the wood.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:42 PM UTC
I'm constantly on the lookout for "nature" made modeling items. Being that I've been in Florida a few years now, and am still learning about the different types of flora and fauna, at least each week i find something that might just work. My latest discovering is some sort of sea weed or whatever it is. It looks really good. In scale too. another type of dried seaweed looks great for scale branches.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:04 AM UTC
i always use nature stuff, and especially pieces of oregano or thyme bushes that have multiple small branch like pieces. They are great and also small stones and everything else in nature could be used
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:28 AM UTC
The roots of maple tree saplings make excellent small trees and braches. Pull them up, shake the clumps off and let them dry out. See example below.

Shaun

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
I used real twig from the local park for all of my trees in my Ardennes dio. And it worked great, great enought ot get me 2nd place!

~Chip :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC
keenan beat me to it! By far, an excellent source for scale trees is the roots of trees and bushes. Not only do they 'look' right, but they also look natural, because they are.
Here in Colorado we (modelers) are fortunate in that we have Juniper bushes. The roots of these bushes make the very best scale trees I've ever seen. Heck, they're so good, I even thought about packaging the bloody things and selling them!
HTH

Tread.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC
Too right ! Specially roots make wonderful trunks

Also have a look at the thin end of a grape vine.....the old branches that is, not the youngsters. The old small branches can pass as an old cracked trunk easily... beautiful

For those who hardly ever leave the puter or the workbench...... get out there more often .... enjoy the fresh air, the trees, the birds...whatever..... and when you're out there, scan the bushes and the soil carefully .... some mighty interesting secrets are out there...moss....sand.... roots.... leaves..... One last request ..... don't destroy nature while you're on your knees in the bushes !
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The roots of maple tree saplings make excellent small trees and braches. Pull them up, shake the clumps off and let them dry out. See example below.

Shaun

Awsome job Keenan. Congrats. Very realistic.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:49 AM UTC
Time to go tear up the yard!!!!!! carefully that is.........
 _GOTOTOP