Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Why Brick and Mortar Shops are Failing
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Along with that, I am the only CDN dealer for AK Interactive,

Actually Scott, Dave Browne of Hornet Hobbies in Toronto has carried the full line for some time now.

In fact, I think he completely restocked his rack while at AMPS in Auburn, (and bought my GAZ dio to display in his shop for an undisclosed sum ).

Ahh, well, just going by what Iain told me from AK USA....said he gets many people from Canada ordering from him, and they he was glad I came on as a CDN shop, as he had none buying from him at the moment, and that was just a couple of months since I have been bringing it in.

Scott

If I am not wrong, I beleive some hobby shops are dealing through Stevens. I know Iain is trying, but I beleive Stevens is dealing with AK in Spain, and is able to get their newer products faster. I know I have been able to get newer products through my LHS before they are listed on the AK USA site.

Kevin

Yeah, but their dealer cost on them is about 35% higher through Stevens than AK Interactive USA. As well, if they get the products first, it is only because Iain hasn't gotten his shipment yet, and usually only off by a couple of days. The lower dealer cost (like almost $2 a bottle less) is worth waiting for Iain to get them in.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
No if only some one in Canada would carry True Earth....
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott

If I am not wrong, I beleive some hobby shops are dealing through Stevens. I know Iain is trying, but I beleive Stevens is dealing with AK in Spain, and is able to get their newer products faster. I know I have been able to get newer products through my LHS before they are listed on the AK USA site.

Kevin

My LHS was buying AK off of Stevens until I brought Iain into into the shop one day when we were out clowning around and he showed them just how much Stevens was marking them up. Why would anyone buy a bottle for $9.00 when they can get it for $6.00?

As for the LHS having them before they were listed on the US site. While it may indeed be they bought it from Stevens, until just recently there was no dedicated full time webmaster for AK USA, so things wouldn't get listed for sometime even though Iain already had it in stock. Now he has a full time guy (Scott, you know him as the other Scott from Canada in the orange hat ) now he just calls and within no time it's listed.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Scott

Kevin

My LHS was buying AK off of Stevens until I brought Iain into into the shop one day when we were out clowning around and he showed them just how much Stevens was marking them up. Why would anyone buy a bottle for $9.00 when they can get it for $6.00?

As for the LHS having them before they were listed on the US site. While it may indeed be they bought it from Stevens, until just recently there was no dedicated full time webmaster for AK USA, so things wouldn't get listed for sometime even though Iain already had it in stock. Now he has a full time guy (Scott, you know him as the other Scott from Canada in the orange hat ) now he just calls and within no time it's listed.

One of the biggest problems with me LHS is that they rarely restock their armor inventory and will not order a kit if it is requested. Although, I am afraid of what they would ask for a special order. I'll continue buying consumables from them, but I fear kits are out of the question. Come to think of it, the last kit I bought from them for my own enjoyment was a little over a year ago. Since then, it has only been kits my dad wants me to build.
BTW I got the price to place an initial order from Dragon was $1500. It may be because this was directly from Dragon and not one of their distributors.