_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airbrush advice required
ProjectPhoenix
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 32 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi there, as the title line says I need a little help on the airbrush front. I'm currently using a Badger 250-2 which is, on a good day, a customisable spray can and I'm looking to buy a decent one. After perusing my Hannants catalogue I've narrowed it down to two(both made by Badger by the way): the model 100LG gravity feed, dual action, internal mix which goes for a cool Ģ99 or the model 200G gravity feed, single action, internal mix for a slightly warmer Ģ64.99 . Apart from the difference in price my concerns are as follows. It seems to me that the effects achievable with a double action are also achievable with a single action but more effort is required (changing heads and the like) which is fair enough, however, it occurs to me that consistency with the effects is easier with single action because the double action needs your finger movements to be identical with each use to achieve the same effect twice whereas a single action can be set up in a specific manner for a specific effect with regularity. Well then what do you all think? Is there some sense to what I've just said or am I talking crap? I should point out at this stage that I'm using canned air (Badger's finest vintage to be precise) at the moment and in all probability will be doing so for a while yet unless I win the lottery which is very diificult I'm told, particularly when you don't buy a ticket.

Phil
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 06:33 AM UTC
You bring up a couple of good points but, either way, you'll have to learn the single action's spray too. The 200G still has to be "needle trimmed" for the chosen spray pattern. On the rear of it's handle is a screw which sets the amount of paint sprayed. You may find this easier though than learning the dual's trigger adjustment.
The 100LG has three needle choices - fine, medium, and heavy, as opposed to the 200G's two needle options - fine and medium.
Both AB'es have the permament paint cup design for the gravity feed action. If you're use to it being there, than fine. If not, be careful, as this design limits your movements with the AB. You could end up moving the model around while painting rather than the AB.
One good option (strickly in my opinion ) would be the model 150. It is a dual action which uses the seperate or free standing color cup design. I saw it on Hannant's web site for 99, just not sure if that price is in Euros or pounds.

I hope this helps a bit.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 06:38 AM UTC
Field testing results of my Badger150 double-action makes me suggest the double-action.
It really depends on what youīre planning to do with it. With double-action itīs possible to open the air first, then colour. This way itīs possible to create single dots for example. With a tiger-stripe camo (stripes thinning to the other end) itīs necessary to practise to use the trigger in a very controlled manner as you first have to start the stripe by letting the air flow, then release some colour, and ease on the colour when closing the end of stripe...and repeat the whole thing with the next stripe...huh! Of course, you can do these things with a single-action, only that youīll lose the soft edge of the stripe of dot. The closest I can think of with a single-a is to keep the mask 10-20mm off the surface to let some spray flow and create a soft edge.
What also affects the result is the thickness of paint and amount of pressure...these things you just have to try out I guess
And there is another plus side in the double-action: some of them (like my 150) include the feature to lock the amount of paint and use it like a single-action. Some day, if you need the double action features, just use it that way...
I have tips & needles for the 150 to cover it all, from Fine to Large. And a Sagola 777 compressor. DONīT EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING ONE. It sucks (no, not really SUCKS, it BLOWS) but itīs gonna have to do for some time now...

Just my experiences! Used it first time for modeling this week, but in five years it has served me in all kinds of projects, a couple of wall paintings for example. Itīs a helluva good all-around airbrush. I have the wooden box edition (150-4 PK) with three different cups.
:-)

Toni
ProjectPhoenix
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the help and keep it coming the more guidance I get the more likely I'll make the right choice. I do have to say that in the short time I've been a member of this board I've learnt more about the finer points of modelling than reading all the books on the subject. Thanks very much.

Phil
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 10:22 AM UTC
thanks for the valuable info
airbrushing is something i could use a bit more practice and knowlodge with
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
My two most-used brushes are a Badger 100SG and and Iwata HP-C. The 100SG is like the 100LG but with a "body cavity" cup and it ships default with the smallest needle and nozzle -- too small for general-purpose use. I can recommend either. The new versions of the Iwata Eclipse also look nice, but I haven't used one (if my HP-C ever goes belly-up I'll get one, but this is unlikely since Iwata's are so sturdy).

You do have to be a little careful with open-cup airbrushes, but it becomes second nature (like walking with a cup of coffee). Fortunately, with the larger cup styles, you rarely have the cup completely full and with the smaller body-cup styles surface tension helps hold the paint in place.

Trigger repeatability is important, but paint thickness, humidity, clogging, etc., mean it is never 100%. It is better on better airbrushes and better on gravity feed models. A few minutes of practice with the same paint mix you're getting ready to use on the model will "adjust" your brain/hand system to the ambient conditions. In most double action airbrushes the trigger and needle can be adjusted so that the function in a way similar to single action airbrushes. In fact with most double action brushes you can get the best of all worlds: paint control only, air control only, or both.

-Neil
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 11:02 PM UTC
ProjectP, I had the same dilemma for years. I started out with the basic Badger Single Action at 13 years old, and while stationed in Spain, my wife bought me a Testors dual action, the predecessor to the Aztec, for my 35th B-Day. I gave my single action to the neighbor kid with some kits I been dragging around for 10 years. i love a dual action and cannot fathom going back to single. Just my opinion. I also used aircans up until 2 months ago when I purchased a Campbell-Hausfield FP2300 compressor for $98.00. I love it! If a compressor is not in the budget, you can buy a 10 gallon air tank and regulator for less than $30.00 US. A 10 gallon air tank should last you a model or two's worth of painting and can be filled for next to nothing. HTH
ProjectPhoenix
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thaks Neil and Chief for your words of wisdom more good advice to add to the melting pot. After much soul searching I still can't come to a decision but since I am currently 'skint' (cashless) I still have time to think about it. As for buying a 10 Gallon air tank, the idea has occured to me but though it may be $30 in the States in good ole' England it would probably cost a good deal more and getting it re-filled would be a colossal pain in the..... without a car to go back and forth to the Diving shop. While we're talking airbrushes is it possible to achieve the same effects with a single action as with a double action but with more work or are fine lines and real precision work the exclusive domain of Double action? By the way after using my Badger 200 with its bottom feed I have found that I go through a huge amount of paint because the plastic pipe needs a quantity of paint to even work and the paint quantity adjustment knob is, well let's just say that precision is not the word that springs to mind. Thanks again to all for the help.

Phil
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
Phil, Did you get the 1/4 oz colour cup with your 200? With my 200 (which is the bottom feed version) I can drip enough paint in with a bulb pippette to spray a few bursts, when its empty then squirt in a bit of Spray Away - blast that into a wadded up kitchen towel, then pour in the next colour. If you accept the pain of having to keep dripping you wont waste as much paint. And the advantage is that you can use the screw top glass bottles t okeep your main colours ready thinned
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 03:05 AM UTC
I know this is a very amateur question and is stupid of me to ask but what is the difference between a single-action and double-action arirbrush, besides cost?

Thanks,
Mark
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 03:34 AM UTC
Mark....

Single action AB's release paint and air at the same time.

Double action AB's release air first (push down with forefinger) and then paint (pull back with forefinger) In this fashion you can control the amount of air and/or paint.

Quick and simple.
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mark....

Single action AB's release paint and air at the same time.

Double action AB's release air first (push down with forefinger) and then paint (pull back with forefinger) In this fashion you can control the amount of air and/or paint.

Quick and simple.

Thanks, now I see the benifits of a double-action.

Mark
ProjectPhoenix
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Phil, Did you get the 1/4 oz colour cup with your 200? With my 200 (which is the bottom feed version) I can drip enough paint in with a bulb pippette to spray a few bursts, when its empty then squirt in a bit of Spray Away - blast that into a wadded up kitchen towel, then pour in the next colour. If you accept the pain of having to keep dripping you wont waste as much paint. And the advantage is that you can use the screw top glass bottles t okeep your main colours ready thinned

I have a very large cup with my 250 which only works well with about 1/5th full, minimum.
I have finally decided to go with the 100LG I think that in the long run the double action will prove to be of greater flexibility and use. Thank you everyone for your advice, it has been instrumental in making my choice.

Phil
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC

Look into the Iwata line of Airbrushes. They may be a bit more $ but are well worth it.

I just switched to one after using a Badger 150 for quite awhile. What a difference!

The Iwata is like a Porsche while the Badger is like a Yugo. OK, maybe I'm being too hard on Badger but the Iwata seems to be made MUCH nicer and feels great. Really a fine instrument.

If you compare the cost, they are very similar and I think Iwata represents the better value.

Look at some of the big mail order places and the costs will be much lower than the local hobby shops.

And, if making this investment, you really should be thinking about double action. They are almost as easy to use and as you learn to use it you'll never regret not getting a single action.

Steve
ProjectPhoenix
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 09:06 PM UTC
Hi everyone, after all the advice and discussion I recently received a Badger 155 Anthem as a birthday present! Does anyone on this hallowed forum use this airbrush? Is it any good for modelling? Do you have any tips and tricks for me?

Phil
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
I think the versatility of a double action is far more better then a single.
...as for the trigger repeatibility, with my Iwata, you have the option of
buying a "preset handle" which you can adjust to a specific stopping point
for the trigger.........thus giving you the ability to repeat the same pattern over & over.
But since I use my Iwata so much and the trigger tension is so perfect, I am
usually able to reperat the same pattern without the preset handle, and I
think this also has to do with knowing your airbrush.
What I like best about the Iwata's is you only need one needle to shoot your
hair-lines to broad spray patterns............"one needle does it all " !

- ralph
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everyone, after all the advice and discussion I recently received a Badger 155 Anthem as a birthday present! Does anyone on this hallowed forum use this airbrush? Is it any good for modelling? Do you have any tips and tricks for me?

Phil

Hi Phil - if I were to by a Badger, the Anthem would be my choice. As with the
Iwata the badger also is a "one needle, for all need's " airbrush.
You also get ........ A Lifetime warranty on labor and TeflonŪ seal.
HERE IS SOME MANUFACTURE INFO:
http://www.badger-airbrush.com/155f.htm
The Badger Homepage has some good info for AB user's ...
.........Check out their "Airbrush Tip's ".
- ralph
ProjectPhoenix
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 08:16 AM UTC
Thanks but I'm way ahead of you. I checked their 'tips' which I found to be fairly limited. I was hoping to draw (no pun intended) on the many combined years of experience of this forums members.

Phil
 _GOTOTOP