History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
WHAT IF:Hitler never hade started WWII?
HunterCottage_JR
Visit this Community
Tajikistan
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 12:36 AM UTC
Yes what if?
I think if Hitler never attack Poland then all that was killed in the war maybe was alive now or survivrd longer.

I while be very happy if you write what you think what haved happend.

Daniel Kuehn
Västerhaninge Sweden
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 01:33 AM UTC
Wow Daniel! Instead of taking this to a socio-political discussion, I'll try to keep it along armor modeling lines.

My thought is that the US probably would not have advanced its basic tank design nearly as fast as was prompted in WW II. I doubt a design as advanced as the M18 HellCat's suspension would have come about until perhaps the 1950's, and the good all-around balanced armor-mobility-firepower concept that came with the M26 Pershing might have taken even longer. Extrapolating that thought further - the awesome M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank might still be on the drawing board of a future engineer in the year 2002 of this world...

Jim
San Jose, California
http://www.guntruck.com
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 01:50 AM UTC
Right on Daniel! So many people would not have shed so much blood and tears for all those terrible years. Who knows...maybe the world would be a better place today..??
As far as models...my favorite subject of WWII would be, well, something entirely different. Maybe I'd be building car models or something. Eeeek! (please, no one take offence, armor is the coolest for me)
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC
You still could build those south pacific shermans.
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:15 AM UTC
Without trying to sound like the Grim Reapers' brother i believe the world would be overcrowded beyond belief!
As i have Polish roots this isn't easy to say but if you look back at history over the years nearly every century has had a major war of some kind or other.
Population control.Wicked but true i feel.
From the 20+ million killed how much would be multiplied if they were to have survived this horrific event in world history!
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:23 AM UTC
True Sniper,
But the sad truth is hunger is natures population control.
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 06:03 PM UTC
The trouble is with the overcrowding logic is that more than likely without the occurance of WW2, most of us would not be here right now. We naturally assume that if there was no WW2 we'd be sharing the world with individuals who paid the ultimate price back then.

But without WW2, there would be no Baby Boomer Generation. There wouldn't have been any mad rush of soldiers coming back from the front, the air, or the sea. For example, my father would not have been born in May of 1946, after my grandfather got back from his submarine 9 months earlier. Life would have been normal with no WW2. Why have a kid then? Why have a kid at all?

Korea may not have occured due to the lack of WW2 and the Communist movement immediately following it. Jet technology wouldn't have advanced as quickly as it did without the German war machine. WW2 brought us many new technologies we take for granted now.

As unfortunate as it is, war does bring out new technology that will ultimately affect us in some capacity, for good or bad. Atomic warfare, jets, radar, sonar, ballistic rockets, etc.

It would be fun if there was a computer simulation program that had all world events catagorized and the impact on each other. If the user removes one event, what happens? Oh man, the hours you could spend making Alternate History happen on your computer screen.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 07:30 PM UTC
It also gave us plastic! The US would not have come out of the recession so soon and we would be about 20 yrs behind where we are now.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC
Oh no, no plastic! I'd have to build wooden ship models.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hard to imagine the 60's without plastic!!!

Jim
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 03:58 PM UTC
Its hard to imagine what would have happened but I don't think overpopulation would be a problem myself. I live in CA. and we can grow enough food here alone to feed the whole country, its a fact. Our government pays farmers not to farm land because if they do we will have to much food and prices would get to low for it.

It seems like even if Germany didn't start a war that we would still have to go against Japan, and who knows Russia could have gone after someone in that time period. I agree to some extent that some of the technology we have would have been delayed, but we have not had a major war since that time and have kept up real well with our military equipment. But at the same time we learned some valuable information about how to design good equipment and tactics, not to say it was worth the cost.
HunterCottage_JR
Visit this Community
Tajikistan
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:50 PM UTC
I agree with you Andrew and all you others wonder how long back in technology we would be now?

No one knows!

That is all from me today!

Daniel Kuehn
Västerhaninge sweden