_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Greatest tool ever!!!!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:19 AM UTC
I was at a trade show in Washington DC and saw the most amazing thing... a printer that "prints" in ultra thin layers of resin, and builds a 3D image in a few hours! Basically the unit is a deep printer that accepts 3D images, then rolls back and forth across a flat plane adding layer after layer of resin until the image is complete. Price: $30,000 - but the part below in the image costs only around $3.00 of material to make! I gotta find one of these!

firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
You could get in the resin business for $30K
You could make it back quickly if you made the right subjects
and marketed the products well.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
As I (like many others) have $30k sitting burning a hole in my pocket, I find it appalling that you didn' t put a contact link in for the printer...what an oversight! #:-)

Seriously, the applications for this beast are mind-boggling imagine the masters for an entire range of figures in one night....... Could put the master designers out of a job.. I doubt it as no matter what is developed, human creativity is still going to be the number one factor....Jim
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
The link to the printer company is www.zcorp.com
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC
Does it mention the 500 K dollar cost for the workstation and software tools you need to provide you with the 3D imaging that needs to be fed into this printer first ?
These things are used in the industry to devolop prototypes. I don't think they'd be fit to make fine details like 1/35 figures, though.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 04:07 AM UTC
Ah well, we can but dream.....Jim
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC
Sort of like the laser etcher we were hashing around the other day.
But that one connects straight to a PC and 'speaks' Corel draw..

and it's ONLY -sarcasm intended- 10K..

but you only get 2d output or low relief...

still for 50K I can get both a speedy pc and use them to put Verlinden, Warriors, Eduard and AA out of bidness... #:-) #:-)

Mike
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 05:21 AM UTC
All the members should pitch in 5 bucks, and then we could get it. And sell "Armorama" products on the web, and the proceeds benifit the site!

~Chip :-)
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 566 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:58 AM UTC
Aloha.
I've seen one a few years ago when we were looking for a plotter at work. It was made by Roland, you know the company from the synthesizers and guitar stomp boxes. I actually saw it make a replica of a Ferrari matchbox. So scale 1/35 is in order. Don't know the price but is was great to see.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC
Sorry to rain the parade...

... but I used to make and market resin parts a few years ago.

The whole "cottage industry" survives on goodwill and sharing... there's no way anyone could invest $30,000 and hope to re-coup it in this lifetime!

This piece of kit is obviously only meant for creating master parts. Anything taking "a few hours" is uneconomical for production... you'd still be back to someone mixing and pouring resin by hand to produce the parts (in minutes...)

I don't think the pattern-makers need worry just yet...

All the best

Rowan
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This piece of kit is obviously only meant for creating master parts. Anything taking "a few hours" is uneconomical for production... you'd still be back to someone mixing and pouring resin by hand to produce the parts (in minutes...) Rowan

Absolutely... and that is my idea... all I need is a master, and I can pour great RTV duplicates in minutes...i even have a centrifigual caster!

As for the other comment by General Failure about the cost of the "work station and software"... that's the great news! I have the Micrografx 3D modeler (under $100) and the system runs on Windows XP! I have what I need... except for my wife's permission to spend another $30K on my business! And again - I would go after my first love - architectural buildings, with figures as a "gee this would be neat to have!". I have made a nice (NICE!) living from my model and diorama business since 1998... I THINK this is worth a shot!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi again KFMagee

Looking at the beautiful stuff on your website, I don't think you need this bit of kit! :-)

Do you already do 3-D computer modelling? From experience, I think it would be hard to model (as against applying a bitmap) the kind of surface texture and detail on your products. I wonder whether it would be worth all the expense if you still have to apply all the detail.

I envy you in many ways. I used to make aircraft conversion sets, but I was never able to do it full-time because of pressure from my job as in video-editing and graphics. Having to rely on sub-contractors never really worked out, so I went back to modelling purely as a hobby...

All the best

Rowan
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:54 AM UTC
These types of prototype machines used to be ten times the cost. Now every city has someone or two that has one. for rapid prototyping With business down, contact them and see what they will do for you. You have nothing to lose. Grovelling helps!

Sealhead (Kansas sunflower)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
Actually, Merlin, pattern makers do need to worry, at least in the matal casting industry. 10 years ago just about everything that was cast out of metal (iron, steel , aluminmu, brass, etc.) had a wooden master made by hand that was used to make the pattern equipment. Now there are "pattern shops" with no pattern makers. Everything is draw up and 3-D mesh modeled. Huge billets of steel are set up on big CNC machining centers and the computers cut the patterns. It isn't any cheaper than having a wood master made but it is far less time and labor intensive and far more accurate.
Ten years ago these rapid prototype "printers" solidfied the resins in layers about an eight of an inch thick. That has come WAY down, altough I am not sure what it has come down to.

Sorry about the industry update.

Shaun

PS: Jan is right. Just the software to do 3D mesh modeling is outrageously expensive. And getting someone to model something for you is outrageous, too. Think about 100.00 dollars an hour.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi Shaun

I take your point about pattern makers; I know these days a lot of kits are "computer-milled" (if that's the term).

I was really thinking of the cottage-industry end of the market when I said pattern makers needn't worry just yet...

All the best

Rowan
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:37 AM UTC
These things are coming down in price. They're generally used for "Rapid Prototyping" of non complex & some semi complex parts. I've seen demos of several different ones.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:38 AM UTC
Sorry to disagree with you Merlin.....Ever here of Verlinden? I think the price killer would be the software. Someone in the modeling industry would be using this if there wasn't something more prohibitive than 30K for the machine. You could probably get one on a lease basis or get a small loan and buy it. I love Chips idea, but it's just too easy.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Guys... i still think you are missing the point in regards to costs... in "the old days" you had to buy a Silicon Graphics system and their proprietary software for a six-figure sum... now you can do the SAME work on an XP with a Corel product that costs less than $100!... And I'm talking good stuff!

Now granted,... all the detail of a tank would be very time consuming, but doing walls, windows, doors, and the like would take me less than 4 hours to draw out, and another 4 hours to "print to 3D"... then i have a detailed master with perfect lines and angles that I can cut apart to make the sectional molds...

I'm going to try this with a jobber soon to see if it works out... if it does - I'm buying one of these suckers for my business!
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:32 AM UTC
Go for it.........I'm a autocad user....if you ever need any help.......
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
Keith,

try http://www.prototype-ez.com/prototype/0050204_0060882_1.html i did a google search on "Rapid Prototyping service"
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
Let me know when you get it Keith, I'll be up for a demo. Now if I can just get plans for that 35th scale AVLB bridge heh heh
 _GOTOTOP