_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cutting parts off safely
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
I put up a little idea I had on removing parts from etched frets without them flying off over on A-UK. It works with plastic kit parts as well. Here's the link if anyone is interested.
http://groups.msn.com/Armoramauk/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=559&LastModified=4675444175696710862
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:18 PM UTC
Cheers Martin, the amount of kit pieces that I've lost over the years and the ensuing frustration is unbelievable...

There's probably a colony of ants out there which has collected all my lost parts and contructed some mutant kit to take over the world :-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:34 PM UTC
That is what I like... a super simple idea that serves a real need! I use wooden stacking trays for each of my projects (I often work on several at once!), and while that is fine for keeping parts together once removed, I have to admit - now and then a piece flys off into the etherworld during removal from the sprue... then i spend 10 minutes trying to find it! Thanks for a nice idea!
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
brandydoguk,

This is a neat idea! I too have done this but have used masking tape at times to make sure nothing flies off into the ether. I now cut stuff from pe frets on an ice hockey puck as the vulcanised rubber is hard enough not the bend the fret but soft enough to allow a knife to go into the rubber.

Lee
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I now cut stuff from pe frets on an ice hockey puck

You'd think he's a hockey fan or something #:-)

Rob
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:05 AM UTC
hi i use double sided tape low tack type to hold the tiny plastic parts while cutting , since i do not use pe , i can however see the benefit of it cheers ian
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC
Looks like a very good idea but could tell us what the heck Bluetac is to us ignorant yanks?
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a very good idea but could tell us what the heck Bluetac is to us ignorant yanks?

Not sure of the name here, but it looks like that stuff you hang posters on the wall with. Wal-Mart has the stuff. The kind I've seen is green, not blue.

Patrick
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:22 PM UTC
I've used tape once in a while, but I've lost more than my fair share of pieces
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi. This is a good idea. Here may be another one that will work. Some time back I read an article about how clock makers use a shop apron that is tacked or nailed to their bench and then when they sit down to work they tie this apron around their neck in the usual manner. And if they happen to have a part slip or drop it all they have to do is look down in the apron that makes a 'shield' of sorts, between their work space and the floor.

Of course, one has to remember not to get up until one unties the apron from around your neck!

Take care, sgirty
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure of the name here, but it looks like that stuff you hang posters on the wall with. Wal-Mart has the stuff. The kind I've seen is green, not blue.

The generic name is "poster putty." It has a millions and one uses for modeling. I have an old package of BluTac that I have used for years. I like to use small pieces to test-fit assemblies before final gluing. It's great for holding small parts for gluing, painting -- even grinding with a dremel. It can be re-used for ages.
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:56 AM UTC
Guys:
I use a large resaelable plastic see thru bag to keep pieces from flying away when cutting /glueing small parts.

_GOTOTOP