_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
U.S. 81-MM Mortar, M29 added
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC
Howdy,

I've added the M29 81-mm mortar to Mortars in Miniature over this past weekend...

Special thanks to Dave "Amimal" Willett for supplying me with the basis for the PRC-25 Radio!! (as well as a few other bits and pieces!)

A number of other updates as well with new and rare TM cover scans scattered about, some dating back to WWI. I've also updated the 1/1 Photo Shop page to include some pics of the US 914-MM (36-Inch) mortar that was in service at the end of WWII. I did not include pics of the two Dragon Wagons that were required to haul that around as they are not all that clear, but if there's an interest, I can post those there as well.

As usual, my photography sux, but please do try to enjoy anyway even if you've got just a slight interest in mortars.

Thanks Everybody!!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
Kevin, I think it looks awesome! Great job on all the dio's components. The figures, the sand bags, the soil's color, and yes, the mortor too. Terrific job.
I never would have thought there were so many different motors used through history till I looked your site over. Very informative. That "Little David" is something that makes me scratch my head. What were they thinking?
The one I really like is the U.S. The 58 No. 2 Trench Mortar, very cool looking little beast.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC
Those sandbags are fantastic. Do tell us how you did those.
I like the details in and around the site. Who makes the figures? My only low point are the wrists on the figures, they seem flat and wide, and unless you scratch built the figures you had to use what you had.
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Great job., I'm with everyone else. How did you do the sandbags?
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Those sandbags are fantastic. Do tell us how you did those.

Could not agree more with the above. Those sandbags are very very authentic looking. The whole dio is well done. Congrats!

Steve
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:47 AM UTC
Kevin, I think this is the best dio to date. Man you only get better and better with each one you design and build. I am with the others and I am very impressed with the sand bags. Bravo Cheers
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:18 AM UTC
Whoala... You guys are way too kind, but thanks for the compliments!

I had no idea that there were soooo many mortars used during the 20th century either, and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I guess that I didn't really know what I was getting myself into with this collection. People from all over have sent me info on systems that I never even heard of, and I've got enough mortar info to keep me busy well into my next life. :-)

The figures came with the kit. Nicely cast (I didn't even notice the wrists) altho the facial expression on the loader is kind of weird. My only real complaint there is that they both should be wearing their flak jackets.

The sandbags are made out of that Marblex self-hardening clay. I roll a length out to about 5/32" in diameter and cut into lengths of about 5/8" lg. Flatten them out with a piece of t-shirt (cotton I think) and put into place. Actually, a number of the bags have my finger prints as a 'texture'. The drawstrings are sewing thread and the openings of the bags are Marblex as well, flattened out, scribed and white glued in place. Tedious, and you should experiment with those dimensions. Also, the clay will shrink a little, so I really 'jammed' each bag into the previous bag to close them up as best as I could.

Thanks again... you guys (and Armorama as well!) are just great!!
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
What agreat job Kevin. I too spent many hours around this mortar and have been looking for the Hobby Fan kit with no luck. I would appreciate a lead on the Taiwan source. You can PM me or answer in this thread.

Again great dio.

Dave
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 05:25 PM UTC
Really great job in painting and weathering and of course the sanbags. Keep up with it and post more
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
Thanks again guys... really appreciate the kind words especially after having such a tough time with the photos... I guess that it passes as I've been getting a ton of e-mail, more photos and questions.

Quoted Text

I would appreciate a lead on the Taiwan source. You can PM me or answer in this thread.

Dave

Dave, I finally got it directly from MPK in Taiwan. They provide excellent service and I forget exactly, but the mail from Taiwan wasn't all that bad... maybe $8US. There is a link to them on my links page. Their site is all in Chinese, but if you poke around, there might be a photo of the M29 to click. If not, send them an e-mail, they will reply promptly and in english.

If worse comes to worse, and you can't get one, let me know, I can send you the spare that I have.
 _GOTOTOP