Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Models and the media
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They both:
- take some time and effort
- increase your self esteem
- give you satisfaction
- strain your back if your posture is incorrect
- result in miniatures/replicas that you like to show off to your friends

ROFLMAO!!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC
There was somewhat of a negative usage of models on the new show "Joan of Arcadia". Her brother (recently) handicapped is spending all his time building models and at one point his father says something along the lines of "this is for kids!". Her brother is 18 or 19 I think. By the end of that episode he has started working on a small boat which his father will help him with. I guess the writers felt a large boat (kit) is more "adult" because they could both work on it together.

Lol...

Jim
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
as far as i remember in "TOP GUN" someday in the class Tom Cruise is using a model F-18 or something under the nose of ICEMAN .Chip should remember better. And also in "Wargames" there was some model stuff and a remote control somethinsaurus bird flown by the weird scientist
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC
In one episode of 'Dharma and Greg', Greg is building a 1/350 Tamiya Missouri. He spends a lot of time building a captain and his chair, but his buddy helping him build it has already glued the bridge together.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
I recollect an episode of Crossing Jordan that featured a model builder. The modeler was a suspect in the bombing of a federal building. One of the forensic guys twigged that moelers sometimes use aluminum powders and that would account for their finding the same substance on the modeler's hands. The police of course, thought the aluminum powder came from explosives. The modeler was exhonerated in the end.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
i was in a model shop in central London last year when a charming young lady asked me if a young boy in the 50's would build this kit ,she held up a academy f16 or something, "no love maybe a Spitfire or Hurricane " came my smooth reply she then informed me she was researching for a film starring Ewan Mcgregor "does that make me a technial advisor" I asked visions of hollywood in my head she gave me an enigmatic smile picked up a spitfire kit and left. cant remember the nameof the film for the life of me must have flopped.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
Since she didn't pay you as a 'technical advisor' you should have suggested the F-16- and at least you would have generated a 'buzz' for her film, at least in the modeling community.

I mentioned earlier Stephen King's Pet Semetary. I now remember he also included modeling in Salem's Lot. The kid who survived built all the old Aurora monster models. One scene in the book a vampire kid comes to visit him, and he breaks off a glow in the dark cross gravestone from one of his models and uses it to hold back the vampire.

Peter
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
entire network: 144 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:59 AM UTC
Swarhzkopf hair styling produckts got an little clip on tv about there new super strong gel that the father of some boy is jusing for his plastic model plane. The boy is looking for it and takes it from his dad with his bad hairstyle.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 04:39 AM UTC
In Garfield,a few years back,John the human was building a ship model.Garfield narrated as John built .
Along the lines of he makes a mess,throws the model ,and it assemlbes itself ...
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
I just remembered in the Tom Hanks movie Big there is a battle ship on the window sill.. I don't know what ship it is I have no knowledge on warships. The girl goes over and touches it and Tom says something along the lines of "don't touch please it's still drying!"
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:43 AM UTC
In the movie The Hot Chick (IIRC, I watch too many movies for my own good ) the father builds model planes and is too involved in them to care about anything else. #:-)
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is it with TV and Movies and substituting Model building for sex?

In my case, involuntarily, but yet anther example of life imitating art (or vice versa) #:-)

(++) (++) (++) (++) (++) x 10
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In the Mister Bean Christmas episode with rowan atkinson Mister Bean gets a ship model of I believe the Cutty sark

Didja ever try to build the Cutty Sark after a fifth of "Cutty Sark"?
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:57 PM UTC
DOH!!!! How could I forget!!! In Star Wars:A New Hope, Luke plays with a model of a T-16 Skyhopper.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 02:15 PM UTC
It's Father's Day. Mojo Jojo goes to his local hobby shop because he wants to build a model ship in honor of his late Admiral dad. He starts destroying The City of Townsville because the shop did not have the kit he wanted
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2003 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's Father's Day. Mojo Jojo goes to his local hobby shop because he wants to build a model ship in honor of his late Admiral dad. He starts destroying The City of Townsville because the shop did not have the kit he wanted

Been there, done that.
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
in an episode of bottom, eddie hitler is seen building a kit, as the scene goes on it turns out to be two kits, i think a spitfire fuselage with possibly lancaster wings
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:59 AM UTC
Then there's the Simpsons episode where Homer breaks his jaw. In one scene Homer and Bart are building a model together. Bart builds one side as an airplane and Home the other side as a ship.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 842 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They both:
- take some time and effort
- increase your self esteem
- give you satisfaction
- strain your back if your posture is incorrect
- result in miniatures/replicas that you like to show off to your friends

and,
-if not executed correctly, your fingers can become stuck (together)
-must be done in a well ventilated area
-some may find that the use of a magnification device is needed
-if your not careful, you'll get it all over the place
-additional supplies can be found at "speciality shops"
-your wife dosen't have to participate
-you don't let your kids watch
-there are magazines designed for doing "it"
-your friends look at you weird when you talk about it
and, last, but not least...
-there are websites devoted to the discussion of it

kglack
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
#:-) In an episode of the British Sit-com "As Time Goes By" the main character, Lionel, gets bored and starts to build an Airfix pirate ship. Turns out he doesn't have the patience for that either! We are not ALL NUTS.....Most of us...but not all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeff
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:21 PM UTC
In the old British spy movie "Callan" staring Edward Woodward (a spin-off from the 60's TV series of the same name), the Callan character gets close to an assignation target via his interest in war-gaming. I belive they were fighting some ACW battle, possably Geytysburg.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:42 PM UTC
Very witty Kglack...
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 05:15 PM UTC
I'm reserecting this thread because there has been a run on models on TV in the last two weeks.

Last week on Law and Order Criminal Intent a wife tried to frame her husband for her own murder. The plot involved supposedly her destroying one of his wooden ship models, which would have given him a reason to kill her. I couldn't tell but they looked like they might have been hand carved. (Aside to the wifes out there, this seemed perfectly possible, that a man would kill a wife who destroyed one of his models. I'd watch out ladies.)

Over the last few weeks there has been a sub-plot on ER concerning a character played by Bob Newhart. He was supposed to be a builder of architectural models who also did American Civil War figures. The pretty lady doctor who was helping them called his models "beautifull" so there is hope for us all. Problem is he wound up killing himself when his eye sight got so bad he couldn't see well enough to keep modeling.

Finally my daughter told me that on American Dreams tonight the younger brother of the main character was building some "tank" (my daughter probably couldn't tell a tank from a APC, or a softtskin) and needed, to quote my daughter, "that olive drab, or whatever you can that stupid color, paint."

Three in one week, none particulary flattering.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Finally my daughter told me that on American Dreams tonight the younger brother of the main character was building some "tank" (my daughter probably couldn't tell a tank from a APC, or a softtskin) and needed, to quote my daughter, "that olive drab, or whatever you can that stupid color, paint."

The kid had parts strewn all over the floor and his sister complains of that and that he'llhave plenty of tie to complete it in the hospital. He's looking at the hull with motorizatio holes, so it was probalbly an older Tamiya or Tamiya clone. In the half second or so that the hull was on the screen, it appeared to have a more or less rounded bottom, so I'm guessing M48 or M60. One more anachronism in this show that has no sense of time. (I saw about 10 minutes while we were having a light meal before retreating to the computer room. I get too PO'd at the inability of the writers to keep the music to the same year, so I let my wife watch it by herself. Life is much more peaceful that way!)
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Another Simpson's episode, Homer makes a crack about someone making "award winnig dioramas". I stopped watching. I just hope one day I win an award for a diorama.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)