Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Losing interest :(
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
entire network: 568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Right before Christmas I had an urge to build as many models as I can. I ended up building 7 models and completing one. I have recently (in the last month) lost almost all interest in finishing them off. This has really made me angry at myself.

Do you guys have any advice?!
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:07 AM UTC
Remember that this is only a hobby-- a pleasant diversion from real life. Only do it when you enjoy it!
I myself was getting close, signing up for too many campaigns and then struggling to complete things. It's good to give yourself time.
I hope that's what you wanted to hear.
We look forward to seeing your work in the future, but only do it if/when it's enjoyable.
thanks for posting.
-Sean H.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:24 AM UTC
maybe a different hobby? If you loose interest,then why force yourself to do something you don't want to do.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:38 AM UTC
do something else for a while. I have been building airplanes for 40 years, right now I am very enthusiastic, but there have been entire decades when I didnt look at model airplanes. Same with model trains, orienteering, stamp collecting, etc.
I adore those other things and will play at them again, but right now I'm totally into my airplanes, and so it goes. nothing is lost.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:40 AM UTC
Exactly, we all go through this from time to time, when it becomes a job or a contest to me, I also start losing interest, and take a break. My hobby is my HOBBY-- an enjoyable restful pastime.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
entire network: 568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 11:38 PM UTC
Hi again,

Thanks’ guys for the advice, I think I am going to pack some of the models I had started and perhaps really slowly finish them whenever I can or feel like it.

Thanks’ again!
Regards,
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:49 AM UTC
Hi Vladimir,

If it's any help, I normally have up to a dozen "half-built" dormant projects cluttering up the workbench. I finish maybe a dozen or more big builds a year, and start maybe twice that many. Some of the half-builds will sit a few months before I get back to them, while others can sit for years waiting for me to regain interest in them. That's just the joy of the hobby for me! The only tricky bit is finding enough space to store them all...

Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 01:55 AM UTC
I probably have 15-20 unfinished kits. I'm too ADD to ever complete them. Instead, I turned my attention to one or two models and began buying am parts for the rest. I still scoop up a kit, if it is a good price. With the exception of a few campaigns, I have relegated myself to building my kit for nationals. It's a hobby. If you don't feel like working on a kit, don't. Inspiration shall strike, again! I'm just a little too inspired on too many kits.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC
if it feels like work, its time to take a break.

in the mornings before work, i would typically go play ice hockey. however, when i wake up, if i find myself saying "ugh, time to wake up because i HAVE TO go to hockey", i dont go because it feels like i have to go to work at that point.

nothign wrong with taking breaks from things you love. if you dont, you will hate every minute of it. As it was said, the urge will strike you again and you will get around to those kits.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 11:38 AM UTC
Or try a different genre for a while. If you normally do armour try a plane or ship or even a sci-fi kit. Something completly new for you....

Or just sit back for a few days/weeks catching up on DVDs and/or books especially if they are related to your favorite modeling subject
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 12:51 PM UTC
I am ashamed to say that I haven't built anything in almost 3 years. Although I haven't lost interest per se, still have a lot ideas, I just can't seem to get it together for a long enough period where I actually sit down and build something. I am definitely in a slump.

I guess that's what happens sometimes.