Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Sounds of Freedom
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
I am sitting in my office hearing and feeling the ‘whump’ of artillery from Camp Pendleton. It’s a funny sound, like when you slam a car’s trunk lid. Of course there is the occasional LGS (Large Gray Ship) off the coast, Cobras buzzing around and the unmistakable sound of the twin rotors of a CH-46 Sea Knight. Ahhh – the Sounds of Freedom…. So Semper Fi to all Marines modelers and Thank You for Your Service.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hmmm, I can here the sounds of children playing and laughing in the park.

Sounds more like freedom to me.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmmm, I can here the sounds of children playing and laughing in the park.

Sounds more like freedom to me.

Upvote!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:34 AM UTC
I'm with GSPatton. Gotta love the sounds of live-fire training. Nothing like arty going in.

Kids playing and laughing are great, but they do that in opressive regimes as well. It's just the sounds of childhood, not freedom.

The military is what keeps us free.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
That is really sad
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 02:46 AM UTC
Right on GSPatton!

I love hearing the a Puma helos (SAAF Oryx) fly over here really low. What a wonderful noise!

I didn't know children still played in parks. Aren't they too busy indoors on their computers, x-boxes and such?

mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 04:41 AM UTC
Back in the good old, bad old days of the Cold War the sound of freedom was the "Morning Patrol" from JaBo36 coming over our house at first daylight, 100m and 500+ km/h

The sound of four J79 engines at full thrust is something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Gah, I miss the old F4Fs, would exchange a dozend of those "flying Nintendos" for a pair of them.

=====================

OTOH the first time a MIG29 was visiting Rheine-Hopsten I was well in the process of jumping into cover before I recognized "Ah, those are ours now"
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 01:07 AM UTC
I see "freedom" flying outside my house every day.

My father and both of my grandfathers served.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:16 PM UTC
I'll be most interested to see the spin that you can put on how the flag of a nation built on slavery and who's aforementioned guns and bombs has installed dictators throughout the Americas, Middle East and Asia can be taken to be an icon of freedom.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:39 PM UTC
Allthough I really can appreciate the sound of heavy machinerie and guns I don't connect them with freedom at all. It's more the idea of enforcing freedom.
I hear the sounds of freedom every day where I live. A small city in the north of Holland. And they are just normal every day sounds. I like that.. It sounds boring but boring doesn't explode your house. I like that too very much.
I also like the fact that we have not much in the form of nationalism anymore. Just a few clowns in the government that nobody takes serious much. And luckily Both the army and religion are not that big a part at all of the Dutch life (or politics for that matter). Well for me that are the sounds of freedom. Do whatever you like as long as it stays in the borders of the normal.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be most interested to see the spin that you can put on how the flag of a nation built on slavery and who's aforementioned guns and bombs has installed dictators throughout the Americas, Middle East and Asia can be taken to be an icon of freedom.

I haven't heard of any Australians complaining when our "aforementioned guns and bombs" were used against Japan during WWII.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I haven't heard of any Australians complaining when our "aforementioned guns and bombs" were used against Japan during WWII.

AHHH! Touche! well played Matt!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 03:12 PM UTC
In leu of keeping this site apolitical, the debate of politics should end. Perhaps a world history class would be of benefit? I found mine to be of great assistance in life.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 03:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AHHH! Touche! well played Matt!

Used to defend your own interests, we were left pretty much to our own devices and had to make do with what we could manufacture ourselves or buy from US/UK, both of which had little to spare for the defence of Oz.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:07 PM UTC
"The Sound of Freedom" started as a comment on the roar of jet engines near air bases in the cold war. I often wondered if it was uttered more in sarcasm by long suffering military families than as a boast. I'll admit to being stirred by the roar of aircraft engines, and given my choice, I'd rather hear the happy sounds of children playing during the day than jets roaring off in anger in the middle of the night.

Sadly, Gino's sig line is way too true.

melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 06:59 PM UTC
i used to be with a mortar unit. on the arty ranges, we would be in closer than the howitzers. you wanna hear a scary sound, be in between the howitzers and the impact zone. all you hear is the whiz of the round flying over. kinda sounds like its gonna land on you.

but yes, i remember the sound of arty landing. its a very....soothing sound. if there is one sound i miss from my days for the corps, its that..

p.s. i have to agree with Matt. WW2 could have turned bad for the "land down under" if it weren't for outside assistance.

also, keep in mind that when you make comments such as the ones you have made that it may strike a nerve. you're dancing borderline to making me feel disrespected.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 08:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

p.s. i have to agree with Matt. WW2 could have turned bad for the "land down under" if it weren't for outside assistance.

What outside assistance? That is the point we were very much on our own with the bulk of our military off protecting someone else's home.

Quoted Text

also, keep in mind that when you make comments such as the ones you have made that it may strike a nerve. you're dancing borderline to making me feel disrespected.

I have no respect for anyone who prefers the sounds of killing machines over children.

also, keep in mind that I get deeply offended when the US flag is touted as a symbol of freedom when the track record in the regions mentioned show it is not.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What outside assistance? That is the point we were very much on our own with the bulk of our military off protecting someone else's home.

Quoted Text

I have no respect for anyone who prefers the sounds of killing machines over children.

also, keep in mind that I get deeply offended when the US flag is touted as a symbol of freedom when the track record in the regions mentioned show it is not.

you dont get offended, you get angry that people use it as a symbol. i get offended when you attack my nationality. there is a big difference. you also need to keep in mind that the US is not alone in the waring across the globe. there are british, canadian, australians, germans, etc that are also part of what you are "offended" by.

i suppose that you may have forgotten how close the Japanese were to Australia in ww2 and the fact that one of their next stops from Indonesian/Malaysia/Guadalcanal, very well could have been mainland Australia.

anyhow. to avoid this becoming a huge political, opinionated argument, i simply ask that you watch how you put your opinions out there. i can honestly say that i do not agree with what any government does (including my own). but, it is not your place to attack someones nationality.

myself, as an American, love the country i live in, the states, scenery, our rights and abilities/freedoms, and my fellow Americans. i would die for my nations flag. not the government. i love my country just as you should love yours.

the flag of a nation has meaning of its people, lifestyle, etc. not just the stupid things that its government may do. we view the flag as a symbol of freedom because we aren't oppressed and living under dictatorship. i see my flag and know that i have a good opportunity to do what i choose within the boundaries of common law, otherwise known as freedom.

personally, sure i agree that some may try to force their laws/beliefs on other countries. however, there is not anyone that does not do that.

i understand your position on children vs warfare equipment. but, being an advocate against military equipment will do you no good here. some people like fine art, some people like nice cars, some like the sound of a throaty V8 engine, some like the roar of a jet engine, some like the sound of an artillery round impacting. but, voicing your opinion the way you have, is not tactful.

if it weren't for these "killing machines", we wouldn't have the hobby that we have.
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 09:23 PM UTC
What an interesting thread.

Armorama is home to some vitriolic right wingers, whether they are conscious of it or not.

From the glorification of German Armor to patriotic jingoistic phrases of the "we're protecting your freedoms" type...it is a turn off for some.

We must remember that getting into the hobby in the first place is to escape the daily stresses of life which include seeing gloomy news about wars, civil strife, etc.

Personally, I think if you want to express a political view which some members inadvertently have done, you should go to a political website. Although, there is no such thing as "apolitical", focussing on the hobby and what brings us together would be better served by cutting out "off topic" threads and putting them on a seperate website.

grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 09:55 PM UTC
I love the sound of military aircraft, and to me, it makes up a part of the sound of freedom. Listening to children playing, people laughing, and people speaking english, are also parts of that sound.

While the Americans helped in WW2, the defence of australia was largely an australia affair.

Anyway, if it wasn't for all the allied military, we could be speaking japanese now. or indonesian.
Removed by original poster on 02/11/12 - 11:08:54 (GMT).
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 11:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the sound of military aircraft, and to me, it makes up a part of the sound of freedom. Listening to children playing, people laughing, and people speaking english, are also parts of that sound.

I read through this thread without headers and signatures, and it made very little sense. Try it.

All here should remember that different cultures and countries have different symbols and traditions and what they associate them to ... even what symbolises their nationality but not always their personal political beliefs. This doesn´t necessarily mean the same to others. Many things get distorted as well through time, from what they originally were, and associations can change through time depending on what propaganda/Media/peers can relate them to.

Even though I always try to stay away from political threads, the comment above really made me shake my head.
"Speaking English" ... how many countries (apart from England) around the world can count this as a sound of freedom? Although we are many nations today that speak English and is a part of who we are, its a perfect example of how time can change association, and depending on your political beliefs ... may or may not always reflect what you associate with freedom.
Machine gun fire/artillery bombing can be one person’s perception of freedom, another’s for the lack of freedom, another’s for power, another for terrorism, etc.

This is modeling site and has members from so many countries and cultures, and not everything that is written, even innocently, will be interpreted by others in the way it was meant. Point made?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,465 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 01:51 AM UTC
OH GOOD GREIF!!!

i joined in on this thread because i thought it was all in jest. didnt realize it was gonna turn into a serious thing.
IM OUT!!!

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 02:52 AM UTC
I apologize. I did not mean for this to become a political discussion. Rather, I intended it to be more of a history lesson. I think we should re-read the first post and continue on with what we believe stands for freedom.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 03:24 AM UTC
Freedom to me is Music, Film, Vices, Love , Technology , and Life in general, A Free state, is one that enforces these well, and does not strive to remove them from ordinary life.
REGARDLESS of military programs ( usually designed to oppress others freedom B.T.W)
Not that the sound of a Big Ass gun Is any Less kick ass than aforementioned points.

Anyway, about that ice-cream....