Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Sounds of Freedom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Freedom to me is [A Free state, is one that enforces these well, and does not strive to remove them from ordinary life.]
REGARDLESS of military programs ( usually designed to oppress others freedom B.T.W)
Not that the sound of a Big Ass gun Is any Less kick ass than aforementioned points.

Well put James.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 05:25 AM UTC
Well for me the sound of freedom begins with turning the ignition switch on my motorcycle.

cheers
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Allthough I really can appreciate the sound of heavy machinerie and guns I don't connect them with freedom at all. It's more the idea of enforcing freedom.
I hear the sounds of freedom every day where I live. A small city in the north of Holland. And they are just normal every day sounds. I like that.. It sounds boring but boring doesn't explode your house. I like that too very much.
I also like the fact that we have not much in the form of nationalism anymore. Just a few clowns in the government that nobody takes serious much. And luckily Both the army and religion are not that big a part at all of the Dutch life (or politics for that matter). Well for me that are the sounds of freedom. Do whatever you like as long as it stays in the borders of the normal.

No nationalism? And what about the groups of orange clad dutch storming other nations every year? Like These
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Allthough I really can appreciate the sound of heavy machinerie and guns I don't connect them with freedom at all. It's more the idea of enforcing freedom.
I hear the sounds of freedom every day where I live. A small city in the north of Holland. And they are just normal every day sounds. I like that.. It sounds boring but boring doesn't explode your house. I like that too very much.
I also like the fact that we have not much in the form of nationalism anymore. Just a few clowns in the government that nobody takes serious much. And luckily Both the army and religion are not that big a part at all of the Dutch life (or politics for that matter). Well for me that are the sounds of freedom. Do whatever you like as long as it stays in the borders of the normal.

No nationalism? And what about the groups of orange clad dutch storming other nations every year? Like These

You got me there... Yes we have nationalism. But only for the really important stuff in the world. Football... The proper kind. Anyway, you know you like them... everybody loves the orange army. And orange is simply a smashing color. Proud to be Dutch.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I love the sound of military aircraft, and to me, it makes up a part of the sound of freedom. Listening to children playing, people laughing, and people speaking english, are also parts of that sound.

I read through this thread without headers and signatures, and it made very little sense. Try it.

All here should remember that different cultures and countries have different symbols and traditions and what they associate them to ... even what symbolises their nationality but not always their personal political beliefs. This doesn´t necessarily mean the same to others. Many things get distorted as well through time, from what they originally were, and associations can change through time depending on what propaganda/Media/peers can relate them to.

Even though I always try to stay away from political threads, the comment above really made me shake my head.
"Speaking English" ... how many countries (apart from England) around the world can count this as a sound of freedom? Although we are many nations today that speak English and is a part of who we are, its a perfect example of how time can change association, and depending on your political beliefs ... may or may not always reflect what you associate with freedom.
Machine gun fire/artillery bombing can be one person’s perception of freedom, another’s for the lack of freedom, another’s for power, another for terrorism, etc.

This is modeling site and has members from so many countries and cultures, and not everything that is written, even innocently, will be interpreted by others in the way it was meant. Point made?

hey mate, point made. i meant to say people speaking many languages.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, about that ice-cream....

i ate it all!

bbbbuuuuurrrrrpppppp!
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is really sad

I'm with Scott. If you think artillery is great try having some of it dropped on you.

And as for the 'military keeping you free', tell that one to the Egyptians. What keeps you free is YOU, and your willingness to stand up not only for yourself, but also for that guy down the street you might not see eye to eye with.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In leu of keeping this site apolitical, the debate of politics should end. Perhaps a world history class would be of benefit? I found mine to be of great assistance in life.

You obviously used it to catch up on your sleep, that's the only assistance I see that it's given you.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 10:24 PM UTC
Fancy some Ice Cream Kev?
Removed by original poster on 02/14/12 - 18:44:35 (GMT).
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

p.s. i have to agree with Matt. WW2 could have turned bad for the "land down under" if it weren't for outside assistance.

What outside assistance? That is the point we were very much on our own with the bulk of our military off protecting someone else's home.

Quoted Text

also, keep in mind that when you make comments such as the ones you have made that it may strike a nerve. you're dancing borderline to making me feel disrespected.

I have no respect for anyone who prefers the sounds of killing machines over children.

also, keep in mind that I get deeply offended when the US flag is touted as a symbol of freedom when the track record in the regions mentioned show it is not.

you dont get offended, you get angry that people use it as a symbol. i get offended when you attack my nationality. there is a big difference. you also need to keep in mind that the US is not alone in the waring across the globe. there are british, canadian, australians, germans, etc that are also part of what you are "offended" by.

i suppose that you may have forgotten how close the Japanese were to Australia in ww2 and the fact that one of their next stops from Indonesian/Malaysia/Guadalcanal, very well could have been mainland Australia.

anyhow. to avoid this becoming a huge political, opinionated argument, i simply ask that you watch how you put your opinions out there. i can honestly say that i do not agree with what any government does (including my own). but, it is not your place to attack someones nationality.

myself, as an American, love the country i live in, the states, scenery, our rights and abilities/freedoms, and my fellow Americans. i would die for my nations flag. not the government. i love my country just as you should love yours.

the flag of a nation has meaning of its people, lifestyle, etc. not just the stupid things that its government may do. we view the flag as a symbol of freedom because we aren't oppressed and living under dictatorship. i see my flag and know that i have a good opportunity to do what i choose within the boundaries of common law, otherwise known as freedom.

personally, sure i agree that some may try to force their laws/beliefs on other countries. however, there is not anyone that does not do that.

i understand your position on children vs warfare equipment. but, being an advocate against military equipment will do you no good here. some people like fine art, some people like nice cars, some like the sound of a throaty V8 engine, some like the roar of a jet engine, some like the sound of an artillery round impacting. but, voicing your opinion the way you have, is not tactful.

if it weren't for these "killing machines", we wouldn't have the hobby that we have.

BTW: I only took advanced world history classes in gramar school. I graduated top of my class. In college, I held a "B" average in two world history classes.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fancy some Ice Cream Kev?

Great Idea. Mine's Tiger, licorice and pulped florida orange.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

p.s. i have to agree with Matt. WW2 could have turned bad for the "land down under" if it weren't for outside assistance.

What outside assistance? That is the point we were very much on our own with the bulk of our military off protecting someone else's home.

Quoted Text

also, keep in mind that when you make comments such as the ones you have made that it may strike a nerve. you're dancing borderline to making me feel disrespected.

I have no respect for anyone who prefers the sounds of killing machines over children.

also, keep in mind that I get deeply offended when the US flag is touted as a symbol of freedom when the track record in the regions mentioned show it is not.

you dont get offended, you get angry that people use it as a symbol. i get offended when you attack my nationality. there is a big difference. you also need to keep in mind that the US is not alone in the waring across the globe. there are british, canadian, australians, germans, etc that are also part of what you are "offended" by.

i suppose that you may have forgotten how close the Japanese were to Australia in ww2 and the fact that one of their next stops from Indonesian/Malaysia/Guadalcanal, very well could have been mainland Australia.

anyhow. to avoid this becoming a huge political, opinionated argument, i simply ask that you watch how you put your opinions out there. i can honestly say that i do not agree with what any government does (including my own). but, it is not your place to attack someones nationality.

myself, as an American, love the country i live in, the states, scenery, our rights and abilities/freedoms, and my fellow Americans. i would die for my nations flag. not the government. i love my country just as you should love yours.

the flag of a nation has meaning of its people, lifestyle, etc. not just the stupid things that its government may do. we view the flag as a symbol of freedom because we aren't oppressed and living under dictatorship. i see my flag and know that i have a good opportunity to do what i choose within the boundaries of common law, otherwise known as freedom.

personally, sure i agree that some may try to force their laws/beliefs on other countries. however, there is not anyone that does not do that.

i understand your position on children vs warfare equipment. but, being an advocate against military equipment will do you no good here. some people like fine art, some people like nice cars, some like the sound of a throaty V8 engine, some like the roar of a jet engine, some like the sound of an artillery round impacting. but, voicing your opinion the way you have, is not tactful.

if it weren't for these "killing machines", we wouldn't have the hobby that we have.

BTW: I only took advanced world history classes in gramar school. I graduated top of my class. In college, I held a "B" average in two world history classes.

And yet, you still can't spell 'grammar'.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And yet, you still can't spell 'grammar'.

Thank God history and 'grammar' have nothing to do with each other.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 11:04 AM UTC
oh good, the "grammar" police showed up. i was getting a little worried there

move along everyone, there is nothing to see here.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually it was the spelling police, the grammar was just fine.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was worth a laugh Magpie. Although, I do believe we should return to the intent of this thread. We are way off topic, here.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC
I've been reading along, and it occurs to me that Freedom is all of us being able to voice our opinions here without fear of reprisal from anyone who disagrees with you.

milvehfan
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was worth a laugh Magpie. Although, I do believe we should return to the intent of this thread. We are way off topic, here.

Yes that being, that if one is going to claim the higher ground when postulating as to the audiography and associated iconography that represents one's level of emancipation, as well as claim superiority in historical education and literacy one should always ensure one's Anatidae are collinear.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yes that being, that if one is going to claim the higher ground when postulating as to the audiography and associated iconography that represents one's level of emancipation, as well as claim superiority in historical education and literacy one should always ensure one's Anatidae are collinear.

I also have a thesauras.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I also have a thesauras.

I don't and it is spelt "Thesaurus"
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been reading along, and it occurs to me that Freedom is all of us being able to voice our opinions here without fear of reprisal from anyone who disagrees with you.

milvehfan

Be careful. Magpie and lufkitian like to pick fights with anyone who endangers their perception of reality, despite how far fetched it is.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

milvehfan

Be careful. Magpie and lufkitian like to pick fights with anyone who endangers their perception of reality, despite how far fetched it is.

Well mate if that is the sort of depth you are willing to descend to I give up.

You know best you're right I'm wrong.

You just keep on saying things like "Charlie don't surf" to Vietnamese modellers who wish you a happy New Year and so forth.

Best of luck to ya mate.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 07:42 PM UTC
Wow... and I thought we had a rule about talking politics, current events, etc.

Seriously if some of your want to try to change others opinions about things please use Facebook. That is what it's for right?

This site is for modeling. So get back to that.

Thanks,
The Management