Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Something to be Learned Here
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
Got this one from my mom.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Although a clever cartoon, I do not agree with the point. life choice is life choice and a man may stand or sit for what he believes in, without the fear of change being pressed upon him, I think KEvin is execrsizing his right to the First Amendment quite safely!
A note.-I have utmost respect for Vets, and Current service Men and Wimmins, of all nationalities.

peace
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC
You have missed the point of the illustration. It's not that Kevin doesn't have the right to sit, but that he does have that right. And, the soldier was willing to give his ability to stand that Kevin may retain that right.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 10:56 AM UTC
Perhaps but certainly the implication is that Kevin is being put under pressure to do something he doesn't want to by peer/social pressure.

Not sure what taking the pledge is but I assume it is some form of oath, if so an oath is a very personal thing and is a personal commitment.

Just as the Marine took an oath on his own volition and without duress to "defend the constitution of the United States" etc, so too the attitude, circumstances and motivations for Kevin in regards of that oath is for Kevin alone.

It seems something of a contradiction in terms that one would die to defend a right of freedom but then expect to dictate the terms of how the freedom is exercised.

Kevin could of course say "thank you for your sacrifice" to the Marine.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
The pledge of allegiance is not exactly a oath. It is our recognition of being citizens of our country. Soldiers don't expect to be heros or thanked for their part in defending freedom. Most prefer respect. Although, every soldier expects to walk away with something different. They all have their own, individual reasons for joining the armed forces. The point was, the soldier gave his ability to stand so that others may refuse to stand. This would be something for Kevin to contemplate. Wether he honors the soldier by standing or sitting, he still honors the soldier. This was a major factor during the Vietnam War. The soldiers late in the war were recieved very poorly. It didn't matter whether or not they had even gone to Vietnam. My father experienced this being in the military, after the Vietnam War.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
I take a offense to this, because this Kevin would stand..... But I guess being a vet helps too....

Lest we forget........thanks to all the veterans for serving and for what they have given, as some have given the ultimate sacrifice for all of us......
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 11:34 AM UTC
I'll be raising my flag, tomorrow. And, a special thank you to all of the Vietnam vets. This country did you wrong by spitting on you. Be it a right or not.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
I think we're casting a fairly wide net on this, showing respect for returned servicemen and standing to take a pledge are two very different concepts for me.

Perhaps I don't really understand what the pledge is all about can anyone explain it to me?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 08:14 PM UTC
Quite interestng matter

In my opinion Kevin, being a citizen of a democracy, has the right to disagree with the government choices which have sent the soldier in a foreign conflict where he has lost his ability to walk, but probably he should show more respect to a man who has lost his ability because of his fidelity to the democratic regime.

It would be very different, in my opinion, if the soldier were wounded to defend the country against a threats (internal or foreign) which was attempting to suppress democracy.
In this case Kevin, being a citizen of a democracy regime which has been defended by the soldier, should be probably totally respectful. Yes, of course, he should be unless he doesn't agree with democratic rules, but that would be another matter

dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC
Man, does this bring back memories. In high school several of us refused to stand for the pledge of alligance to demonstrat our view of the government way of waging the war in V.N. It was not a disrespect of our country nor our troops, ( many of the guys ahead of me in school went to Nam and did not return, and some returned maimed or totaly lost to the world after) and when anounced each day that one of our former school mates died there was a few minutes of silence in honour to them. I used to get into more fights defending our guys against the fools who would put them down and call them names and try to degrade them. I never thought we should have been there to fight a conventional war as hind sight has proved, but never once would I put shame to our troops. Today, I am even more patriotic than I was. They are personaly MY VETS, past, present and future. Anyone has a problem with that can come see me personaly as far as I am concerned. And yes, today I have my huge American flag flying proudly on my porch in thier honour and sacrifice. I will also defend anyones right to not honour them or pledge thier alligence to our flag, but not to dishonour them ever. I thank god for our vets, for without them, we would not be as free as we are.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 04:27 AM UTC
Well, I don't have any problem getting my head round the cartoon at all.

Yes, it is utterly appropriate for Veteran's Day or Remembrance Day. Not everyone though may share our political beliefs though.

However, the Site does have a policy of avoiding these niggly political issues in the Forums.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The pledge of allegiance is not exactly a oath. It is our recognition of being citizens of our country. Soldiers don't expect to be heros or thanked for their part in defending freedom. Most prefer respect. Although, every soldier expects to walk away with something different. They all have their own, individual reasons for joining the armed forces. The point was, the soldier gave his ability to stand so that others may refuse to stand. This would be something for Kevin to contemplate. Wether he honors the soldier by standing or sitting, he still honors the soldier. This was a major factor during the Vietnam War. The soldiers late in the war were recieved very poorly. It didn't matter whether or not they had even gone to Vietnam. My father experienced this being in the military, after the Vietnam War.

Just have to differ on one thing Chief,the pledge of allegiance is exactly an oath,those are some very strong words:
" I pledge allegiance to the flag" even though some people may just mouth the words without much thought,the implication is clear,they are an oath of allegiance to the United States of America.Some for what ever reason may not want to recite that pledge,but no matter what your view is,all should show respect for the flag.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC
I'm not attempting to force my ideals or beliefs on anybody. This cartoon has had exactly the effect I assumed it would. The pledge of allegiance has become erroneous, since the government decreed that the individual does not have to recite it. This is a personal liberty. Just because you are a citizen of this country does not mean that you have to be loyal to this country. That's what I take away from this.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2011 - 09:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The pledge of allegiance has become erroneous, since the government decreed that the individual does not have to recite it.

So by that I take it that prior to now one was required to recite an oath of allegiance, you didn't get a choice in it ? That does seem to be a bit meaningless to me.

If :" ...some people may just mouth the words without much thought"... then I think it is a good thing that only people who actually mean what they say take the oath.

I'm still having trouble seeing what this has to do with Remembrance Day and Veterans and so forth, does the oath mention such things at all?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 01:54 AM UTC
It's the civilian version of the oath that the armed forces take upon entering service.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 02:15 AM UTC
Really? They seem quite different:

Military Oath of Office:
I,do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God

Pledge of Allegiance
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Ours:
From this time forward
I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,
whose democratic beliefs I share,
whose rights and liberties I respect, and
whose laws I will uphold and obey.

In Aus you only have to pledge if you successfully apply for citizenship. I guess it is a given for those of us who were born here.

Australian Military
I,promise that I will well and truly serve Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors according to law, as a member of the ( Australian Navy , Australian Army , or Australian Air Force ) for the period of (number of years) , and any extensions of that period, or (until retiring age, ) and that I will resist Her enemies and faithfully discharge my duty according to law.

Interesting that Australia isn't actually mentioned at any point.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC
It would also be helpful to remember that not everyone on the Site is a U.S. citizen or necessarily agrees with the sentiments expressed.

Precisely why, we have a policy of clearly avoiding the 'political' threads here.

It's a VERY diverse Site, please bear this in mind with Threads like this...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would also be helpful to remember that not everyone on the Site is a U.S. citizen or necessarily agrees with the sentiments expressed.

Precisely why, we have a policy of clearly avoiding the 'political' threads here.

It's a VERY diverse Site, please bear this in mind with Threads like this...

I won't be jumping anybody for their skewed beliefs. This is purely a patriotic thread. I am simply introducing non-US citizens to how our patriotism is expressed. Any man can be labelled a patriot, so long as his views are based on his view of civil liberties.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I won't be jumping anybody for their skewed beliefs.

What do you call a skewed belief ?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I won't be jumping anybody for their skewed beliefs. This is purely a patriotic thread. I am simply introducing non-US citizens to how our patriotism is expressed..

To my mind the best way to express patriotism is to be a responsible citizen and that has little to do with reciting pledges.

Quoted Text

Any man can be labelled a patriot, so long as his views are based on his view of civil liberties.

Bear in mind that some people and indeed some cultures have very different views and even "skewed beliefs" about civil liberties.

There is a very thin line between patriotism and nationalism.

This thread made me think about the "Loyalty Oath Crusade" in Catch 22
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I won't be jumping anybody for their skewed beliefs.

What do you call a skewed belief ?

I use the word "skewed" loosely. Any person who is a citizen of another country would have "skewed" beliefs, to me. "Skewed" being used in place of "different". No offense intended.
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use the word "skewed" loosely. Any person who is a citizen of another country would have "skewed" beliefs, to me. "Skewed" being used in place of "different". No offense intended.

Just remember that to us your beleifs are equally skewed. I really think you could have used a less loaded word there.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 08:15 AM UTC
My bad on using the word "skewed". But, what's done is done and I can only attempt to define the meaning that I meant it to convey. And, yes, I realize that to others my opinion is skewed. The point of this whole thread is patriotism. I think it has been successful, so far. At least it has people thinking.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The point of this whole thread is patriotism. I think it has been successful, so far. At least it has people thinking.

That's the problem with patriotism, it depends entirely on perspective. Benedict Arnold, G.Gordon Liddy, Adolph Hitler and Osama Bin Laden have all in their time been called patriots. Yet their actions, which is the important measure of a man as noted by Pat, may lead others to draw a different perspective.

Where one might see a patriot another might see a terrorist.

Where one sees a patriotic message another might see jingoistic rubbish.

Where one might see a classroom scene where a person is being encouraged to act in a patriotic manner by someone to whom such things are important enough to make large self sacrifices another might see a child being bullied into doing something they don't want to do by a disabled person being used for emotional blackmail.

But it is interesting to see how SOME US citizens express their patriotism, I certainly hope that those who express it in other ways are not subject to the same public ridicule that poor young Kev is.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The point of this whole thread is patriotism. I think it has been successful, so far. At least it has people thinking.

That's the problem with patriotism, it depends entirely on perspective. Benedict Arnold, G.Gordon Liddy, Adolph Hitler and Osama Bin Laden have all in their time been called patriots. Yet their actions, which is the important measure of a man as noted by Pat, may lead others to draw a different perspective.

Where one might see a patriot another might see a terrorist.

Where one sees a patriotic message another might see jingoistic rubbish.

Where one might see a classroom scene where a person is being encouraged to act in a patriotic manner by someone to whom such things are important enough to make large self sacrifices another might see a child being bullied into doing something they don't want to do by a disabled person being used for emotional blackmail.

But it is interesting to see how SOME US citizens express their patriotism, I certainly hope that those who express it in other ways are not subject to the same public ridicule that poor young Kev is.

What ridicule are you referring to? There is no ridicule. A soldier who lost his ability to stand is introduced. What must be remembered is that he gave this simple function so that Kevin may sit. There is no ridicule. It's just a lesson. The teacher, like me, hopes that Kevin will consider his stance on the matter based on what another gave for his rights. There is no ridicule here.