_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
AAARH!!! Wash!
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 100 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC

I did a clearcoat on my model...

I have some Burnt Umber, and tried to make a wash out of it.. I mixed it very thinly with water.. But it didn't mix well. Water separated from the MM paint... So I added a bit more, until it seemed to mix. Then it didn't flow at all. Grrr. So I thought maybe it was the water. So I grabbed some Paint thinner. Wow, that was even worse. Couldn't even get it to mix. Just clumped at the bottom...

So, first attempt was horrible. HELP!
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:05 AM UTC
it depends on what kind of paint was used for your basecoat. if it was acrylic then you'll use oils for your wash. if the BC is enamels, then use water colors for your wash. if you are using artists oils you should thin it down with white spirit till it looks like dirty thinner. with the water color's you do the same just with water, and there you go. also use a gloss coat such as future or MM glosscoat. that will allow the wash to flow to the details. wash or excess with clean brush or Q-tip.

washes made easy..
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
i just got some arcliyc bruntumber and i used rubing achoal and it went on fine,
dont use water it mess it up for some reason

make sure u mix it good and get all the kumps out of the paint.
doing a wash is a pain in the butt lol
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
It was acrylic paint... Maybe that's the problem... I'll try rubbing alcohol tonight!

I did a future clearcoat over the entire model prior to attempting...

I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes...
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
I would test that combo first to make sure the alchohol won't eat through the future. I haven't ever tried an acrylic wash over future.....Anyone know?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi there

I thin acrylics with Windolene (or any clear detergent) for washes.

This breaks down the surface tension so it flows better, and it won't attack Future (Klear).

Hope this helps

Rowan
Azarius
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
I'll give that one a try as well...

Q: do you paint in the groves, around bolts and such, and wipe away any excess that doesn't "sink in"?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Q: do you paint in the groves, around bolts and such, and wipe away any excess that doesn't "sink in"?

If at all possible, use enamels or oils for washes. I've found they just work bettrer and are more consistent. Ifa allowed to cure well, you might not even need a gloss coat. Second, if you must use acruylics, NEVER try to use thinner with it. They don't mix.

I dab a bit of my wash along panel lines. at the base of raised details and in sharp corners. I add large amounts in grill work. I don;t brush it on or try to wipe off "excess". Since it's been used sparingly, there really is no excess. Drybryshing blends the colrs in nicely.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again Azarius

Well I really like using the Acryic/Detergent mix to accentuate panel lines, because it doesn't "sink in" or stain the paint underneath. When it's dry, it's very easy to remove the excess.

There was an article some years back in FSM, so I'll try to find the issue for you.

For washes over wide areas, I'd use oils, because they seem to be most subtle and don't give a "tide-mark" effect. Always buy good quality artists' oils, because the pigment is much finer than the bargain brands.

All the best

Rowan
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 10:41 PM UTC
my humble opinion is almost the same as AJLaFleche's. I use only enamels that i thin down as much as i need them to flow a lot or not. I dont use a gloss coat, and use lil by lil so there is no more to wipe out.After it with pastels and dry brushing you get the good mixing of all colours and even small mistakes are perfectly covered and smoothened all the way
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Azarius:
Be carefull with the alcohol, I think it will ruin the Future coat. Try first in a little part of the model or better in a separate piece of styrene coated with Future.
If you use Future for coating your models it is better to use oil washes, they work better than the acrylic ones.
 _GOTOTOP