Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Saying good bye to a friend
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 01:26 AM UTC
I feel like such a wuss and I am not really sure that posting this on a model building site is appropriate but I don't know what to do with myself right now. My 14 year old cat, who's been my modelling companion, was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer a couple of days ago. While she still seems to act normal, I was told that her good days are numbered. The only treatment options for her are surgery and chemo and I am not going to put her through that.

So, I've decided to do the most difficult thing in my life and have her put to sleep. She is scheduled to go under in about 3 hours. I am a complete mess. I honestly did not think I would be affected as much as I am. I know I am going to miss her terribly, especially on those long winter nights when I am sitting at my computer browsing model related sites. I am going to miss her purring and rubbing her head against my hand.

I knew this day would come eventually but I did not expect it just yet.

Good bye my friend.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 02:00 AM UTC
Martin
I feel your pain my friend.
I'm 49 years old and have had cats as pets all my life and I know how heart breaking it is to have one put to sleep,I've been with four out of six at the final moment, kissed them and told them that I love them.
I never let one of them suffer pain as they all brought so much plesure and fun into my life.
This is Dengar who went last year,if there was a box the bugger would be in it ,sprues and all!!!

Be strong Martin,God bless kitty
Andy
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi Martin know how you feel mate,my sister lovescats and took in a stray called him Bill he was a lovely old boy and my kids grew up with him but he developed cancer and sis asked me to take him to the vets he was in a lot of pain well I cried my eyes out Im a 17stone lump but like you say their a friend.on the bright side theres a lovely little kitten out there somewhere who needs a good home.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 06:31 AM UTC
I think everyone feels as you do when it is time for a pet to be let go, and if a person doesn't feel that way then it was not a pet to that person. As it would seem that your cats best days are behind her and only pain lays ahead, take solice in the fact that you are doing the best thing for her and remember.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
Bless you my comrade in plastic, I have a 14 year old cat in similar circumstances.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC
I hear you. I was raised in the country and have buried many pets. I too had to have one of my cats put down. I was not able to take her with me on a move and she couldn't handle it. After four months my father was begging me to have her put to sleep, as she constantly searched the house for me while mewing.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 09:46 AM UTC
Thank you all.

My Angel is now among angels.

R.I.P. my friend. You are already missed.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 10:48 AM UTC
Sorry to hear the news Martin, as someone who has had cats most of his life, I know how you feel, putting one to sleep is never easy.
My two furballs are with me now, one on the floor at my feet--- and I dare not move ..... the other spread out on my key board tray, spread out like he owns the desk.
I have to more his tail each time I need to use the enter or backspace keys, and since he's also on the mouse pad, I have to use the side workbench for the mouse. (He's the oldest pushing about 20 years now, and has me well trained) I know I'll miss him when the time comes.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
sorry to hear that,we had our previous cat for 17 1/2 years and they become like family members
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 643 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 11:59 AM UTC
Martin,
The one thing that has always been a saving grace for me is to remember the goodtimes. Also to know that you were able to limit her suffering. Last January I had to put my dog who was my kid to sleep, because of advanced cancer. Couldn't let her suffer. I knew the time was coming so I built her a hand made coffin to lay her to rest in. She is on eternal watch over my property. We laid her to rest between two trees on the upper part of my property. My compainion of an out door cat was laid to rest the year before is on the lower part of my property. I still get misty eyed when I think of them. They are all together in heaven is what I always say.
Take Care
Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 01:46 PM UTC
I'll finally be getting a new cat. It's been 9 years since my last one. She visited me in the hospital, when I took a bullet to my head. She latched on to the wheelchair and they had to pry her claws loose. Invest in fish. You don't become emotionally attached and they are easily replaced.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
Sorry about your pal.

We share this a lot on a pets page I post at

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC
Thank you Mark. Someone had sent me this and it brought more tears to my eyes. I hope that indeed one day I will be reunited with my pal and all the future ones.
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
Thank you all for your kind words.
django70
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
Marty -

Man, I am sorry for your loss. I come from a long line of cat lovers. For every loose part my cat swats across the floor...I have been repaid many many fold with a love and friendship that I could never replace. A altogether different experience than we often get from even our best of friends and family. Anyone who does not understand that sort of bond, I often have to seriously reconsider.

I remember my brother going through a similar experience some years back. Thousands of dollars in doctor bills and treatment. His cat Butch was so cool. He had that old soul quality that was uncanny. The sort of thing you could not began to explain to people who "just don't get it". Some people thought he was nuts..."It's just a cat". Uh uh. It was heartbreaking when he did have to do the final humane act. True love comes in many sizes and shapes, and you really can't put a price tag on that.

Hang in there man...You are not alone.

Sincerely, Lee
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 06:09 PM UTC
Marty,
I was just going through the forums and found this post. I'm very sorry for your loss. My wife and I have three cats Bob (11 years old), MJ and Bella (3 years old) and a 10 year old Chihuahua named Carlos (he rules the three cats). These animals are like our kids and they are spoiled like kids. Before we got Bob we had to euthanise our 13 year old black cat Midnight....when we rescued a little black kitten from under our back porch we named him MJ (Midnight Junior). Bob is getting up there but still lays by my work station when I build models. I dread the day I have to put him to sleep.
It's hard to lose a friend...maybe you'll find another little buddy to help you model.

Jeff