_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Up-sizing photos...
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 04:44 PM UTC
I have some photos from my military service that I have used on a web page, and for some strange reasons I have downsized the images a little to much.

Have tried to make them bigger, but this only caused the images to get blurry. Anyone know of a way or program to make the images bigger without loosing the sharpness.

Thankful for any advice.
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
If the pictures are already reduced and that is what you have to work with you are probably out of luck. You can reduce resolution but you cannot increase it digitally to any good effect.

For example, digital pictures used for printing in advertising are at the highest resolution (2-4 thousand dots per inch) and produce humungous files (in hundreds of megabits). If they are reduced to a GIF or JPEG then they are reduced to 72 dots per inch. You cannot just add water to bring them back to thousands of dots per inch resolution unfortunately.

You can use a product like Photoshop which has a "sharpen image" feature but what this is really doing is increasing contrast of the pixels to give the appearance of increasing the resolution.

The best thing is to start with the highest resolution to begin with because it is all down hill from there. If the original pictures were continuous tone (fancy name for film pictures) then you could rescan them at higher resolution to achieve better quality. Aside from that I know of no way to increase resolution from a low-res image effectively.
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 04:48 AM UTC
Ok, was almost afraid of that. Then I have to wait until I wisit my parents the next time to get the originals.
 _GOTOTOP