_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Loss of motivation
Fighterace
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 05:36 PM UTC
Hello my fellow modelers, Over the past couple of months I've seem to have lost my motivation to build anything. I still love to buy new kits as my latest kit was the new Tamiya 1/32 P-51 Mustang but getting my act together to start a new Armour or aircraft kit seems an impossible task.

I look at my growing stash and i hope that "One day" i will make a start on them and i have cool ideas for each one but that seems to be a long way.

I use to live with a mate and we use to build heaps of kits together but I moved back home to my parents place I dont have the room to do much building.

I feel that i have lost my modeling spark, Is there a way to get it back?

Nathan
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 01:17 AM UTC
Been there, done that.... never did get the t-shirt though.

2 alternative stratagies you could try. I've used both at different times.

1) Take a break of a few days/weeks and watch some DVDs which would have stuff you're interested in: Band of Brothers, Generation Kill etc then try going back and doing something from the DVD

2) Change of Genre: Do something completly different. If you're into WWII planes try a modern armor kit, or a ship or even sci-fi. Or just do a fun "what-if" type build such as my "Learherman Humvee". It gets the creative juices flowing again.

Hope this helps and that you're feeling on form again soon.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
Watch some military documentaries. Read a book about military history. If this fails, break your toe, foot, ankle. This should keep you cooped up in front of your work bench.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 03:08 AM UTC
is there any spot where you can build in some kind of noisy atmosphere? seems to me ya building mate loss has snuck up on you and you have no one to kick ideas back and forth. any moddel shops to peruse and talk with others, find out about meetings to go to? just a thought.
reb
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
I've been on a 3+ year model building hiatus. I too had lost interest in building models. I guess that family and work kind of got in the way. Still, I continued to go to model shows and continued to buy new kits. Only recently I sat down again and started to put together a couple of kits. They are for a diorama I have had in my head for some time but did not have the models to help me bring it to life. That's no longer the case.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it's OK to take a break from the hobby. Maybe try something else for a little while.

No worries, you'll come around again.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 04:38 AM UTC
My thought would be,why force yourself to get back ? Do something else,when your motivated you will start working again.Don't force yourself to model,then it's not a hobby,it becomes a job.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 05:15 AM UTC
I agree with the others. Do something else for awhile. I was on a 4 year hiatus due to family, work, space, money, and other hobbies. Now that I have abit more time I am enjoying the thrill ofthe build. Now I am working on building an area in my basement to work on my tanks so my lovely wife doesnt have to see them on her dining room table

Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 367 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hey I just got out of a rut myself.

I find I get into ruts during a build step (AFV models):

-before tracks are complete
-before sections are "trued" and subsequent gaps filled and sanded

These are the two bugaboo's for me. Once I have tracks and major sections are attached and sanded, everything else is really fun! Those two areas require a lot of attention, time, and aligment which is very demanding.

So, are you having trouble starting a build or are you in the middle? If you are having trouble starting a build, don't force yourself to open it. After a few episodes on the history channel, you'll probably want to.

Do you listen to music when you build? This always helps me. A little Pantera and a bag of magic tracks are nothing.

In the end remember, a rut is a rut. We all get there somehow and we will be there again. You can't control it. It is nothing you are knowningly doing. Don't get down on yourself about it.

If you lost a modelling friend, post a build log, there are plenty of people who would love to see your work.
chillon
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
'Doing' creativity has for the last (many) years been both my work and to a large extent my social scene as well.
This last year I have really been struggling, even to the extent of blowing out a DVD I was making for an established record label and in the last week or so even not bothering to go to the airport for a flight for an international gig.
This is why I am here. Doing something different, my only surprise is that I went for something that still calls on me having, using, learning new creative skills. So much for a complete change then!
The point I am making in a long winded fashion is if you are struggling with something give it a rest, try something else, I have always found the desire to go back to the original always returns and normally burning brighter than before.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
I feel for you,
But I agree with others here, it's a HOBBY, should be fun, right?
take a break, do something different!
Learn something new?

I often 'rest' models when it gets "not FUN", eg I got a Fonderies Minitaures LCA, AWFULL!, It's resting until I get a better idea on finishing it.

So chill, keep an eye in on the forums, find a local hobby club, or not!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
Well don't worry
This is not a hobby....this is an ADDICTION so it will be back again!

Joking aside I think is quite normal to be a little bit exhausted after doing a such big project (1/32 P-51 tamiya, is not so easy...)

Most likely a break will be usefull for you to start again with lots of new positive energies

cheers and good luck
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Styrene and resin are in your blood. You'll have to square with that some day. I take breaks up to a week at a time. This saves me money and allows me to research my next kit.
 _GOTOTOP