_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modelling and the internet
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC
Do you think the hobby of modelling would have progressed so far as to where it is now if there was no such thing as the internet. I don't know about you guys, but ever since I got back in the hobby last year, 95% of the information I have received is from the internet. From building tips, to reviews to research material, almost everything I have obtained was from online. The support and inspiration I have received from fellow on-line modellers is unmeasurable and very encouraging.

If small cottage industries didn't have an easy way to sell or advertise their goods, would they even go forward and build it?

Would you guys be so enthusiastic about the hobby if there was no 'internet'?

I guess something to ponder....

Simon
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 05:49 AM UTC
the internet sure has made it easier.now i go to the hobby shop in my pjs
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 05:51 AM UTC
Right to the point.
Only drawback is that all the time I spend chatting here is out of my modeling time!
Then again, I don´t have to go to a library to find some reference material. All I have to do (if I´m feeling lazy) is to post a topic in here and get what I need!

Thanks, now and forever :-)

Toni
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 293 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 06:12 AM UTC
The internet is the best thing that happened to the hobby. It not only provides us with help from our fellow modelers, it also provides us with inspiration and tons of research material for those of us who do not have enough cash to go buy books.

Armorama was the best thing that happened regarding modeling in the internet. Most other armor modeling websites have been stablished so much long ago that I always felt unwelcomed by them. This is very different here, and its especially important for young modelers such as myself. The other thing Iove about Armorama is the fact that it was not limited to one area of plastic modeling, not many websites out there that follow that pattern. And the webpage design here just kicks axx........ (can I say that).

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 140 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 06:43 AM UTC
Since starting my site I haven't done any serious model building for almost six years now. Although I am seriously into a Tamiya Cromwell right now. I did obtain some Besa ammo boxes from Ultracast and a No. 19 set lead via email. I probably would have ordered both from my local model shop otherwise.

cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
I've been back in the hobby for almost 2 yrs after at least a 15 yr layoff. The internet is an outstanding source of research material. Also, this site is like a scale modeling club that never closes. If you have a question at 3 AM you can post it here, and usually get some form of feedback in a few hours time. No waiting for the next meeting.
I also use the internet to find kits I want, and just to see whats new. I buy some stuff on ebay, and order sometimes from online shops. But I try to get most of what I want from the 2 hobby shops nearby. I would hate to see them close due to lack of support.
I don't know if the internet has made the hobby grow, but it sure has enhanced it for me.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
I can't even start to explain how much the internet has helped my modeling. I have often seen great models and asked myself "how do they do that" of course I got no answer. Now if I see something I like I ask on the message board here and get answers so I can try it. My models would still look like they where built like an 8 year old if I had not been able to get the help and answers I have found on the internet.
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thank goodness for the 'net. I never knew the variety of kits available 'till I got online 5 years ago. My local hobby shop only carries a select few kits from a couple manufacturers. It's so easy to keep up with new releases and limited issues. Also , the 'net has made research very easy.
Don
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you guys be so enthusiastic about the hobby if there was no 'internet'?

Yes, most of us had growing piles of kits, budding collections of aftermarket, and an ever-amassing shelf of model magazines and Squadron "in actions" long before the advent of the internet. The various aftermarket cottage industries were advetising fairly successfully in the various printed periodicals. DML also hit the scene in the late 80s and early 90s, before the 'net was around. These were talked about in the kit reviews, Verlinden was "the standard" in aftermarket (who's first PE set was the Sherman Super Detail Set?) or had one of the Sherman resin conversion sets. AEF Designs also started offering ways of making IDF vehicles out of about any available kit.

Now with the internet, I think a kit (sometimes a new company) will sink or swim based on reviews done moments after something hits the shelves. Too many bad reviews and a kit is like a Broadway show that gets panned opening night, disappears off the face of the Earth. (Case in point: Italeri M4A2 "Jumbo", Lindberg T-80 among others).
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 12:53 AM UTC
the internet is a good place from where to take important and useful informations. i learned a lot from it
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
I think the hobby would have still progressed this far but the internet has made it so much easier to dissiminate information and for people to access that information w/o going to club meetings, the shop, etc. Plus with the advent of online shopping its made that area easier as well.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC
I agree with the idea that Modeling would have continued on regardless of of the net or not. BUT it has made a difference for folks to meet and exchange ideas, and such. More so it is was just thru a magazine or the local hobby shop... So Yeah the Internet has made a bit of a difference in the World Of Modeling.. But not so much that it has changed it a great deal.

DAGGER-1
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC

hi...damn right...thanks to the I-net we can buy kits 24-7...kit's that probably were not even available at your local H-shop...share + discuss products + ideas...you get the picture...I'm a big pro eBay guy....I'd say 90% of my recent modelling purchases in the last year were online + I live in a major center...the only reason I'd sent foot in a hobby joint is to buy paint or glue....
cheers,
dave
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
It's a big help in researching manufactures web sites as well as reference sites.
The drawback is it takes away from actual build time.
Well, time to get back to the kit............Or was it the website?
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 11:23 AM UTC
Well, there are no decent hobby shops in my country and just one modeling club in my town(mostly aircraft guys, though)... So, you ask me if Internet is the solution for me?

Mario M.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
For me, this "internet thang" has helped me locate much needed detail information.

Of course, this has kept my flight time down to a minimum.

Also, the other added benifit of this world is how it draws us all into a brotherhood. We may be scattered about the globe and about the numerous web sites, but we are a cool little community.

My 2¢ worth on this.
Dave
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 01:57 AM UTC
For me the biggest downside of being a modeler was always the since of isolation that I felt, that there was no one else who did this. I very seldom met anyone who built models. There were no and continue to be few real hobby stores in my area so that was not a real option to meet other modelers and exchange ideas and techniques. However, with the advent of the internet I have found a modeling community to be a part of and I love it.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 07:24 AM UTC
Internet is a real short cut for most informations you want.
Makes the modeling even funnier if you find your way through a site like Armorama.
Have fun!
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For me the biggest downside of being a modeler was always the since of isolation that I felt, that there was no one else who did this. I very seldom met anyone who built models. There were no and continue to be few real hobby stores in my area so that was not a real option to meet other modelers and exchange ideas and techniques. However, with the advent of the internet I have found a modeling community to be a part of and I love it.

AMEN! This site makes the exchange of information, ideas, and kit news so easy. Whats not to like about the best referance tool ever!
Josenhans
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 07:51 AM UTC
I love the research tools and the motivation from other modelers.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 08:21 AM UTC
I think the hobby would have continued to grow but at a slower pace. without the instant reference I thinks most of us would have bought less AM stuff. And as Cdave said It makes the hobby just a little less solitary.

Josh WEingarten
aKA shiryon
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hi all,

My two Rupees worth..

I think the Net has given my skills a new lease of life in more ways than one.
- I was able to explore new ways of getting my kits
- I was able to pick up some fantastic tips on how to improve my stuff (esp from here :-)!
- It's helping me get back into the hobby after nearly 5 years
- And finally, I've seen so many sites that provide reference info and pics, which I wouldn't be able to get otherwise...

So, yes, I really think the Net has changed the way I looked at my kits, and improved my hobby.

Thanks,
BP.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 12:34 PM UTC
I love the 'net! I have learned more tricks and tips than I can count, I only wish I could get off the computer a little more often and actually use what I learned to help build a kit again

I sometimes think I am no longer a modeler, I'm just a guy who talks and reads about them!

With tongue in cheek,
Rick Cooper
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 01:00 PM UTC
The 'Net inspired me to pick up the hobby again after a few years. I used to think that I was a bit weird to still be playing with plastic than going out with the guys and gals. It helps overcome the isolation and it gave me the courage to do what I've always wanted to do.

The 'Net is also a very good source of information, references, tips, tricks, laughs, peeves, rants, raves, and the stuff that make this hobby great. Books cost as much as five kits. Libraries don't have the kind of information a modeller craves. Actual references are hard to come by, especially in a country whose frontline fighters (F5s) are older than their pilots. I could risk getting shot by the Marines guarding the Simbas and Humvees if I got too close.

There are a lot of sites on the 'Net that cater to the hobby, but I call Armorama my cyber-home. Armorama is my virtual modelling corner. I meet people from all walks of life, from all age brackets, from all countries, and all speaking the language of glue, decals, styrene and a project well done.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 08, 2002 - 02:21 PM UTC
Hit right on the nose there Sundown,

just look at the last figures I did 15 years ago and the figures I'm doing right now. 15 Years ago I had only one method from a book....now I have a complete collection. Each painting method has it advantages. Knowing these methods (accessable from the internet), and being able to try them, improved my modeling for a 100%.

15 years ago I could only dream of being a member of a modeling community with over 1200 members.......

Shopping, learning, making modeling friends....it's all there !!

I'd say it's the best thing since the invention of the brush
 _GOTOTOP